• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Which Ancient Warfare title to start with?
06-07-2012, 02:59 AM,
Which Ancient Warfare title to start with?
I'm going to buy one of the Ancient Warfare titles, as I have a keen interest in the period, as well as thinking WeGo is underused in wargames.

However, I am uncertain which ones to get.

As far as features goes, it is my understanding that older titles are patched up to match the most recent release. Is this correct?

For settings, they are all interesting, with Greek Wars being slightly less interesting than the other titles.

So - it comes down to scenarios. My preference is definitely for smaller scenarios. So - which title has the best selection of scenarios for a beginner, and which title has the best selection of smaller scenarios?

Any other reasons to pick up a particular title over the other ones?

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2012, 03:14 AM,
RE: Which Ancient Warfare title to start with?
[Image: 50ce15bfab98212195206.0374966001326794744.gif]
06-07-2012, 09:25 AM,
Most of the games can be patched up, but not for Punic or Gallic Wars. There was a major change in the engine after those two. :-(

I'd go with Greek Persian Wars, then Roman Civil Wars. They have a great set of scenarios, and if a person puts his/her mind to it scenarios for Ceasar's conquest of Gaul, and the 2nd Punic War can be created. I'm not an Alexander the Great fan, but it is a good title as well.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
06-07-2012, 09:33 AM,
(06-07-2012, 09:25 AM)Al Amos Wrote: Most of the games can be patched up, but not for Punic or Gallic Wars. There was a major change in the engine after those two. :-(
Thanks - I was unaware of this! What kind of major change was this?
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM,
In the older titles it a Roman army had to fight someone, in the newer titles you could pick a first army vs a second army.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
06-08-2012, 07:10 AM,
Greek Wars and Roman Civil Wars are the most up to date patched games. New updates for Punic Wars and Gallic Wars are due soon but as Al Amos pointed out there are certain restrictions. I recommend you take Roman Civil wars as this game has a great variety of troop types including super heavy cavalry and camelry plus limited missile shots for even more realism. There are plenty of small scenarios known as Table Top battles and are usually of less than 2000 points per army allowing you to easily finish a battle in one evening. Greek Wars has the largest number of small scenarios and includes the hoplite phalanx not seen in Roman Civil Wars. For a beginner, Greek Wars offers smal scenarios with few types of troops which keeps things simple and easier to learn. As a beginner always start with the 'Command and Control' option off (do not tick) as this determines commander instruction range and the effects on troops if they have no orders. I hope you have fun. Any queries on the game just drop a line here and we will try to help out.
06-09-2012, 12:07 AM,
Thanks, I will start with Roman Civil Wars then. Any good resources on the web for a beginner?
06-10-2012, 06:11 AM,
(06-09-2012, 12:07 AM)enhorning Wrote: Thanks, I will start with Roman Civil Wars then. Any good resources on the web for a beginner?

Look to the Scenario design at the top of the forum page on the blitz. There are 10 additional battles to be downloaded. In terms of books I look to the Osprey campaign range for the best guide for a wargamer to ancient battle tactics. I particularly like Roman Battle Tactics 109 BC - AD 313 and Roman Battle Tactics 390 BC - 110 BC. However, the Roman Civil War game comes with a number of pdf documents designed to help you understand battle tactics of the period and should be very practical. It is intended that later free upgrades for Roman Civil Wars will include a tuition for beginners. Please note there is already a free upgrade to Roman Civil Wars available on the HPS web site.