• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Strategy - Smolensk Op. Situtation #3
06-14-2012, 02:21 PM,
RE: Strategy - Smolensk Op. Situtation #3
(06-05-2012, 12:34 PM)GerryM Wrote: I appreciate what you are saying. I have started reading some military history this year. On Paul Carell's "Hitler turns East" now. And may get Glantz's "Barbarossa Derailed".

What I miss in all wargames I have tried is that there are no books on strategy and tactics. One picks up it piecemeal; via an AAR here, a Tips article there, etc. In chess, there are some basic and essential techniques, building blocks really that you pick up from books. Knowledge of these can then help you tackle tougher problems on the board.

I will be looking at your Mius AAR again also btw. Lots of good stuff in there. And I have started the manual.

Take care,

Gerry

You want strategy/tactics for Panzer Campaigns? In a nutshell: isolate and destroy the enemy's units. Wear them out before wearing your own units out, by rotating your units in and out of the front lines (if you can). Keep a sharp intel net out (if you can). Watch your flanks (if you can). Try to never assault stacks that have undisrupted/unbroken units in them. Pay attention to traffic jams, including over-stacking behind your assaulting front line. Don't bash your head against fortifications if there's a convenient way around them. (Just for starters.)

The best manual you can read is actually playing the game. So don't be shy.

And welcome to the Blitz. Big Grin

Quote this message in a reply