• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defended Hex Question
06-03-2012, 10:07 AM,
Defended Hex Question
Hello All:

Trying a small scenario in Smolensk. Trying to assault an objectives hex and I get the message "Units cannot make move into defending hex".

Searched by some keywords in the manual but cannot find anything.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2012, 10:15 AM,
RE: Defended Hex Question
I think you will have to supply a little more info.Scenario and side you are playing and hex co-ordinates at least.
Maybe even a screenshot.
06-03-2012, 10:18 AM,
(06-03-2012, 10:07 AM)GerryM Wrote: Hello All:

Trying a small scenario in Smolensk. Trying to assault an objectives hex and I get the message "Units cannot make move into defending hex".

Searched by some keywords in the manual but cannot find anything.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

Likely what you are trying to do is assault into a marsh or swamp-type hex with an armored unit. Such units can only enter those type hexes in travel mode along a road. You'll have to leave the assault to units on foot.

06-03-2012, 10:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 10:22 AM by Compass Rose.)
If you are playing against the AI then it would not be a problem to talk about it on the forum however, if you are playing a PBEM game with another Blitz member, you may want to talk about it via email.

Without any screen shot, it is hard to guess. What units are you attempting to move and what is located into your target hex?

I see that I am a slow at typing! :)

06-03-2012, 11:18 AM,
Hello All:

Smolensk Operational Situation 3. Trying to assault into Hex 23,9. It is a Clear hex with a Objective value of 100 and is defended by a disrupted Russian unit.

I have tried different assault elements (Armor unit, Infantry, ...) and none can assault the hex.

Gerry
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM,
That hex is behind a river. That is the cause for the message - the units can't cross the river without using a bridge and to use the bridge there, they must be in travel mode.

Does that help? Travel mode makes them vulnerable to enemy fire but gets them across the river using the bridge.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-03-2012, 11:50 AM,
Gerry, are you able to tell on your own that there is a Heavy Bridge at that location or would you like some help to show you how to determine it?
06-03-2012, 11:57 AM,
Thanks to all. I am using MapMod and I really like it but I mistakenly thought they were all streams. And I should have checked by right-clicking the Hex Info area. So I am good now.

Gerry
06-03-2012, 12:02 PM,
Ok, glad to hear it.

It's hard to beat MapMad! Helmet Smile

Are you using any unit art mods?
06-03-2012, 12:07 PM,
Is that the stuff Volcano Man does? I tried to register at his site but I cannot see an activation email yet. Does he just do art for the units?

The only problem I have with MapMod is I find it hard to see the elevation changes sometimes. But I like it a lot better than the original.

Thanks,

Gerry