• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTCS and the Windows 7 file system?
05-29-2012, 05:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 07:59 PM by Crossroads.)
JTCS and the Windows 7 file system?
Question for the techies out there, hopefully you can help me out?

I've created several parallel copy-paste directories from the orginal \West Front and \East Front folders that were created by the JTCS install.

Now, something has gone wrong. Happened already before, when I copy-pasted a new Rising Sun folder, and put Warhorse's Korean Mod on top of the new Rising Sun folder (renamed it as 'RS Korean Mod' folder of course).

I noticed when I started a RS scenario, it saves the battle to Korean Mod folder instead? Also it must use some of the Korean Mod files, as the RS .bte I sent for PBEM was corrupt as far as the receiving party was concerned.

I booted RS both from the JTCS main menu, and by clicking the RS.exe at the RS folder. Same results.

Now the similar thing happened with my EF install, the EF started to save games into my parallel EF LWM1.0 folder, once I installed the latest LWM1.1 into vanilla EF with JSGME.

I recall reading W7 has a new file system, where physical files are no longer where they seem to be, but there is some virtual stuff on top of it. I recall especially older applications get confused by this.

Finally, my question:

Are there ways of doing a copy-paste that absolutely creates a new physical folder / directory structure? No virtual sh*t instead?

Or what's going on here...?

SOS

Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2012, 05:23 AM,
RE: JTCS and the Windows 7 file system?
What version of 7 are you using? Do others using 7 have this problem? If not, it is probably something with the local set up.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
05-30-2012, 05:28 AM,
No, I am quite sure it's a Windows thing. W7 64bit is what I've got.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-30-2012, 08:19 AM,
Petri,

The Korean War mod should be unzipped into Matrix Games\John Tillers Campaign Series!! Please DO NOT unzip into an RS folder, will cause all kind of problems!!! Same with K'talan, these are self-sufficient games, and once you have JTCS installed, you just unzip these into the above directory, no need to copy/paste anything!!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
05-30-2012, 10:10 AM,
Just out of curiosity, why would you do that? Backups?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-30-2012, 03:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM by Crossroads.)
I recall there's a property or something which can be set with File Explorer to disable some virtual stuff the (Vista?)/W7 filesystem does.

I would have the parallel EF2 folder to put my LWM mod into. I would then run the ef.exe from that particular folder. Just a precaution, as while adding mainly new stuff, there's some changes to existing files as well.

I am testing this with JSGME "version control" freeware though so the good folks would be able to install and uninstall the LWM at the vanilla EF folder

I would not want to package the whole stuff into a complete and independent download, as that's, what, like 120 - 150 MEGs. My zipped LWM1.1. even with US France and UK added is now at only 15 MEGs.

Dave: Acronym UAC rings a bell. It seemed to be something overtly complex involving access rights and stuff.

=> I might be actually talking about UAC Virtualization? Ie. my app does not write the data to a directory where it is supposed to write them? See the opening post.

I guess there fore I am asking how to disable UAC from the whole John Tiller Campaign Series folder-sub folder system.

Would that make sense?

Warhorse: I realised that later. I need to reinstall my whole JTCS set up at some point of time to start from scratch. Just have had not the time nor the enthusiasm to do it yet...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-30-2012, 07:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 07:57 PM by Crossroads.)
This may be it, as I recall it solved an issue with my TotalWar install a year ago or so:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397636

Then again, what I am seeing might be something completely different.

I will test it over the weekend.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-31-2012, 06:22 AM,
I don't know... Played around with this a bit but it did not solve the existing problems.

Decided to finally reinstall the complete JTCS, then applied the UAC parameters per twcenter instructions to whole John Tiller Campaign Series folder - subfolder structure just in case.

Also, I put the JSGME version control freeware to JTCS root this time, and used it to install all possible mods, including the PB / PL mods that came with the install.

Now everything works like a charm again. Very happy I have now total control to my mods as well.

Thread closed as far as I am concerned...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-31-2012, 07:08 AM,
Ah, good. The only workaround I could thing of would be multiple installs of JTCS, but to different areas of your computer, so as not to conflict. That way you could make modifications to the "custom" install, but leave the original as is.

I think duping and renaming the directories was breaking the registry entries and that's what was causing your problem, but not too sure about that, nor colud I figure out how to fix. So...

Glad you got it sorted out.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email