• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

2012 Ladder scoring has problems
05-28-2012, 12:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM by Kool Kat.)
2012 Ladder scoring has problems
Ashcloud is listed as the number 1 player of this year with 1549 points.
This is a pretty good results as he only has 1346 points since he joined in September 2010 and only 789 points in the last 6 months. Unfortunately his is not the only score that is wrong since all of the top five have earned more points this year than they did in the last 6 months.
05-28-2012, 12:37 AM,
RE: 2012 Ladder scoring has problems
Are you adding in all the bonuses for testing and other awards into your figures, the last 6 months total are just for games played. ?
05-28-2012, 01:58 AM,
(05-28-2012, 12:17 AM)Bioman Wrote: Ashcloud is listed as the number 1 player of this year with 1549 points.
This is a pretty good results as he only has 1346 points since he joined in September 2010 and only 789 points in the last 6 months. Unfortunately his is not the only score that is wrong since all of the top five have earned more points this year than they did in the last 6 months.

It is from H2H testing. I regularly have 2 or 3 test games underway.
Send this user an email
05-28-2012, 11:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM by Kool Kat.)
Here at the Blitz, players are awarded bonus points for developing H2H scenarios, play testing, writing book reviews, AAR's, and a myriad of other activities! Big Grin2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-10-2012, 08:17 AM,
It seems non-competitive game activity can proove more rewarding point wise than winning the competitive games. Propably for this reason I view the table based on ELO and win ratio.

I am not bothered too much about all the above, but I understand that players trying to be at the top can feel the benefit of many test games as can offer more points than normal games.

Take for instance myself, an average player who looses as many games as wins. I play around 5 games at a time with various level of complexity and average at 20 points per game, i.e. nowhere near the top of the table. Now if I chosen to make these 5 games to be the test games I could easily increase my average point per game very significantly. I understand that for report and the game completion of a medium size scenario I can get around 100points bonus without having to win a game.
Based on that I can see this can cause an upset to some members who view the table in a very competitive manner and try and climb up the ladder by winning competetive games....
just my 0.02 to the scoring ....

And a reminder I am not too bothered as I use ELO and win ratio to view the ladder :)

06-10-2012, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM by Scud.)
Top 5 by ELO:
1. Oberst
2. dawags
3. Tiger 88
4. Nort
5. Skryabin

Those are some pretty tough Blitzers.

53. Scud :rolleyes2:
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-10-2012, 10:01 AM,
What's wrong with being rewarded for helping to make the game, and the club, better in every way but just by how many games you play? Row

Ice Cream

HSL

#2 by score
#9 by ELO

06-10-2012, 11:34 AM,
I think adding something new to the games must be worth some points, it's open to all players and would be much better if more got involved in it, testers have to provide reasonable impartial feedback on the game, much more so than they give on ladder games, they also have to put up with some unfair games in the first stages. I would add it also lets players of different levels to play against each other for fun and still gain some points, yes there are ladder points involved but not win / games played amounts so it isn't a real advantage on the ladder for the things that matter win/lose ratio and ELO rates, total points mean nothing apart from who has played the most games and not who's a good player. It also doesn't take into account all the pre-H2H playing that is done by players and designers to get a scn ready to H2H test.
06-10-2012, 12:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012, 12:04 PM by Warhorse.)
I agree, with a few of the scenario's I've made recently, that are STILL NOT RELEASED, they must be played, over, and over, and over again through a few tweaks until deemed balanced enough. It's very nerve-wracking, I'm very grateful for the few guys who recently stepped up to test these!! Hawk Kriegsman has played quite a few rounds of my Bulgarian/Partisan scenario already with NO compensation, which I don't feel is right, since I already have the allowed three scenario's in H2H testing, and he still keeps helping out!!Now, if anyone would like, I have another one, Chip'yong-ni for the Korean War Mod needs tested??!! The problem is, only a few WILL take time to test, so yes, they need a very good reward!!! If interested, download the scenario from the H2H test area, we'll play, and you will get a reward, and I will be very grateful!! Myself, I'm in it for fun, and don't even check my stats, I don't care for such things, I enjoy the game, and meeting people!! Game on, and step up boys!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
06-10-2012, 03:10 PM,
Unless there is money awarded for any kind of points, IMO, it just doesn't really matter.