• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smolensk '41 Planning Map
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM,
Smolensk '41 Planning Map
Has anyone had one of the big planning maps printed up professionally? I have a mind to get an over sized print made, and possibly laminated for the use of grease pencils.

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried this, how it worked out, and what it cost.
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 01:20 PM,
RE: Smolensk '41 Planning Map
Somebody was making them and selling them from what I recall, but he didn't sell many so he stopped doing it. Don't remember the details now, it has been a number of years.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-12-2012, 04:38 AM,
I just printed a color map on card stock, but normal paper size (8.5 x 11) and it was only 64 cents here at a professional place where I live here. You could probably print the same on a large poster size card stock for about $10 or so I suppose, but lamination would naturally increase by an unknown amount (probably not much).

Send this user an email
05-12-2012, 09:00 AM,
Thanks for the replies. I have some laminated player aids for board games here. I should buy a grease pencil and test it on one, just to ensure that it wipes off clean with no staining.

The last time I tried a larger scenario I got lost fast, forgetting what my overall plan was and sending newly arrived units willy nilly. Can't wait to try it in an organized fashion!
05-12-2012, 09:23 AM,
Don't forget that over at SDC there are a ton of planning maps that Steve has posted.

http://hist-sdc.com/bookshelf/pzc_planning_maps.html
05-12-2012, 09:30 AM,
Heh, thanks. That's where I got the Smolensk '41 map I want to enlarge!
05-17-2012, 05:50 AM,
Considering a different approach.

Has anyone tried magnets? I'm thinking of attaching an enlarged map to a thin sheet of steel (not sure what you call that) and getting some little magnets which I could attach unit tokens to.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd be curious where/what you bought, how you assembled it, and how it worked out.