• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

On Map Air Units
05-13-2012, 11:23 PM,
RE: On Map Air Units
First off, I agree with Junk, I was not talking "in real life". Helmet Smile
Though, I would like a helo or plane do what they can do in real life, in the game, ... and that is to not occupy the ground area of the hex so that other units have to "go around" them. They are supposed to be flying?

Or, be blocked by them.
Or, be assaulted by regular units when they are "flying".
Or, capturing a victory hex by "flying" over it.

I'd like to see the discussion stick to how we can make planes and helos "fly" and not operate like any AFV, within the game system.

I'm not sure what RPGs, SAMs, or small arm's fire has to do with flying over enemy and/or friendly units in the game. Confused
And, why do more "personal ROEs" have to be "invented" to make them work more "realistically"? :horse:

cheers

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM by Skryabin.)
Sorry for maybe stupid question, but if an airplain gets low on ammo, how does it get back in the shape? Do I have to fly somewere, or just hang in the air and wait? (Playing my first scenario with on-map plains Dont Know )
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM,
Low ammo means that it did not pass its supply roll.
Not a big deal. Next turn they may all regain supply.

cheers

HSL
05-16-2012, 03:28 AM,
(05-14-2012, 07:39 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Low ammo means that it did not pass its supply roll.
Not a big deal. Next turn they may all regain supply.

cheers

HSL

In our game I attacked with them on my first turn and now it is fifth turn but they still can't pass this supply roll. Bad luck I guess?

And one more thing is strange about them: it seems like their LOS is limited by the surface as if they would stay on the ground instead of flying high in the sky. Shouldn't they see things even behind a hill from the top?

05-16-2012, 04:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2012, 04:28 AM by Crossroads.)
(05-16-2012, 03:28 AM)Skryabin Wrote: In our game I attacked with them on my first turn and now it is fifth turn but they still can't pass this supply roll. Bad luck I guess?

And one more thing is strange about them: it seems like their LOS is limited by the surface as if they would stay on the ground instead of flying high in the sky. Shouldn't they see things even behind a hill from the top?

What type of a aircraft is it. A bomber? I think they can "fire" only once per their action point allowance.

From the MCS Bootcamp document:

Things to keep in mind:

1. The On Map Bombers can only fire for one turn. After they fire, it is assumed they dropped their bomb load and have no more bombs. They will be flagged as Low on Ammo and will remain so for the duration of the scenario.
2. These means you have to choose your targets carefully, as at most you will only get two shots in that turn to attack the target. Target range is limited to one or two hexes, depending on the aircraft type.
3. The ideal method of using the bombers is to fly to your target area, scout out the area you intend on attacking, pick your targets and then, during the next turn, attack with full Action Points. This will more than likely give you two bombing attacks in the turn and hopefully enough action points to escape out of the battle area.
4. A house rule SHOULD be imposed between players that On Map Bombers that have attacked during the course of a scenario be removed from the map.
5. On Map Bombers do not have an assault value.
6. On Map Bombers can be shot down! They are extremely susceptible to light Anti-Aircraft Fire. Their losses in Victory Points will add up quick!
7. On Map Bombers are susceptible to indirect artillery fire.

I've not used them but once a good while ago when I completed the said boot camp scenario. So I didn't have them stick around to see if they'd gain supply or not. But I guess they won't, that's a pretty decisive statement in the document...

EDIT: This is from the JTCS manual:

On-Map Bombers have the ability of flying to a target and targeting a hex or two. On-Map Bombers will lose their ability to attack again once their bomb load is expended.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-16-2012, 04:46 AM,
(05-16-2012, 04:16 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: On-Map Bombers have the ability of flying to a target and targeting a hex or two. On-Map Bombers will lose their ability to attack again once their bomb load is expended.
Wow, I missed this part. Thank you for the answer.

05-16-2012, 07:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2012, 07:03 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
They must have done enough damage already? :hide:

If they are programmed to be like afv's and other ground units they will have their LOS limited to ground units? Helmet Rolleyes

Just don't fly (drive) those empty planes into the enemy rear to "find" units or "capture" victory hexes?
That would be ... Horse2

Cheers2

HSL
05-16-2012, 07:29 AM,
(05-16-2012, 07:02 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: They must have done enough damage already? :hide:

If they are programmed to be like afv's and other ground units they will have their LOS limited to ground units? Helmet Rolleyes

Just don't fly (drive) those empty planes into the enemy rear to "find" units or "capture" victory hexes?
That would be ... Horse2

Cheers2

HSL

Agree, they did some jod - eliminated a few of your Panthers Helmet Wink

And of course no scouting with bombers. Would be nice though to have them reload at least evry 10 turns... But it's ok this way too.

05-16-2012, 07:04 PM,
Panthers? Idea2
I had Panthers? Yikes Whip

cheers

HSL