• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What I would like to see..
04-26-2012, 05:29 AM,
What I would like to see..
I have thought for some time that the 1914-18 war is an era that is under-represented in games at the squad/ section/individual scale, there are a number of games that look at WW1 from the strategic and operational scale but none i am aware of that take it any lower than that. i think this is a gap in the market that I would love to see someone, preferably HPS, try and fill!

I would love to see something that looked similar to the Sb series but perhaps at an even smaller scale where each hex represented 5 metres and each unit represented individual men, there is lots of scope here for small scale actions, trench raids, patrols and lots of opportunity for some imaginative scenario design. I think the squad battle mechanics would probably be fairly easily adapted to this sort of scale.

I have touted this idea on a number of occasions on a number of different boards and i will keep popping up and mentioning it from time to time in the hope that eventually somebody with a bit of influence decides to take it up, in the mean time what are your views?

can you envisage playing a game in the style of SB at an individual rather than a squad scale?
What would you like about that?

or playing a game which models individuals that isn't a first person shooter? how cool would that be?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2012, 06:33 AM,
RE: What I would like to see..
Technically, HPS is no longer involved with new games coming out of Tiller's shop. He's marketing all new stuff directly.

It's too small for my liking, to be honest. The current scale is a really nice size to represent tactical level combat from squad up to company/battalion level. Anything smaller than that would probably require a major change to the game engine, especially when it came to how buildings were represented (interior/exterior, doors, levels, etc) as well as the calculations for resolving combat actions, stacking, LOS, etc.

I've been on the testing team long enough to say comfortably that any major changes to the SB game engine will never happen.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
04-26-2012, 07:04 AM,
I don't know of any wargames that follow that scale, but have you tried Jagged Alliance, or any other game like it? It's like the old X-Com games, it is a ton of fun. The old Fallout games have that sort of combat as well. Tried www.gog.com to buy them cheap.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

04-26-2012, 10:53 PM,
Boardgames like Sniper do that scale. On the pc, you have Squad Assault from Matrix, Silent Storm from Nidas, Syndicate by Bullfrog and Sabre Team from Krisalis.
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM,
The only game I know of that had individual soldiers was called Soldiers at War.

http://www.gamespot.com/soldiers-at-war/

It was an interesting game in which you could equip each and every member any way you wanted for whichever particular mission that you were going on. You could even have a medic who could help mend your wounded guys. If you lost your medic, you were in trouble!

04-26-2012, 11:46 PM,
Battle Academy has a WWI mod. I have been a BA player since the beginning.
It's a fun game and MP is a blast. BA isn't as realistic as say CM or SB,
but it's fun.
There is a demo too and it's free to try TEEHEE
http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/9/6/demo/83184/

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopi...04&t=21458
[Image: WW1_03.jpg]

[Image: WW1_05.jpg]

There are lots of add-on packs too.
Battle Academy Blitzkrieg France
Battle Academy Operation Market Garden
Battle Academy Operation Sealion

I love the France battles Big Grin
[Image: game_1287603372.jpg]
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
04-27-2012, 01:57 AM,
I have also mentioned an individual soldier type game with graphis that look as good as those in Sudden Strike only bigger. Maybe not as big as XCom, but you have to be able to do things like if you are to clear a village and have to do it room by room, then so be it. A lot of those isolated companies in the beginning of the Bulge come to mind. There would be so much that could be done there. It could also be set with taking a unit from it's beginning in the war and campaign throughout and don't limit it to just a squad. Have the option of taking even as large as a div is somebody wants to go that far, probably few, but definitely not limit to a squad. A company would give you around 120 soldiers. Having the larger options lends a better hand to team games. As one, I probably wouldn't go higher than a bn at this scale. A rgt or bde with 3 bns would be a good 3 man team. A div with 9 bns would be a 9 man team, but you could gain other aspects to a game as the bde or div cdr. There are so many options out there, it's crazy. Somebody just needs to make it happen.
04-27-2012, 02:06 AM,
Thanks for the nice screen shots. How is the complexity of the game? Is it something you can pick up easily and play?
04-27-2012, 06:42 AM,
(04-27-2012, 02:06 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Thanks for the nice screen shots. How is the complexity of the game? Is it something you can pick up easily and play?

BA is really easy to learn. Try the demo! Big Laugh
The MP is thru their sever, so it's just a matter of logging in & picking
the battle you are playing. There are the base battles, custom battles
and random battles. The random battles ROCK! The computer picks
your map & forces, so no two are the same. Plus you can make your
own maps too!

Again, it's not a CM or SB, but the game engine uses real numbers to
factor in your shots & armor. Real meaning they are game based, not
real in like Panzer IV model "H" 1943 specifications.

There is also a mod for BA to fight the Japanese. Pacific CampaignLOL
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM,
(04-26-2012, 07:04 AM)Mad_Dog Wrote: It's like the old X-Com games.

Now there is a fantastic blast from the past, use to love the underwater game
244 games with legend that is Richie61