• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Enjoying My Second SB Battle!
04-21-2012, 12:27 AM,
Thumbs_Up  Enjoying My Second SB Battle!
Gents: Smoke7

I am currently playing Oz... in my second SB (Red Victory) scenario... Boot Camp #3 "Defending against an armored attack"... and having a much BETTER experience than my first game! Yikes

We are about halfway through... and I still have Oz at a Major Axis Defeat... subject to change, of course! ;) :)

Starting to get a better understanding for basic movement, combat, and overall capabilities of my units... that proves that this game system is rather intuitive... easy to learn - difficult to master.

However, my first SB game was a bewildering and frustrating experience of charging about... running squads into setup Axis MGs... watching my troops die... all my AFVs either get brewed up or immobilized... while trying to figure out basic movement and fire options.

Not something that I care to repeat! ;)

But, at least, I'm now out of boot camp and "officially" on the SB ladder! Cheers4

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2012, 03:54 AM,
RE: Enjoying My Second SB Battle!
I'm still having nightmares from my first encounter with Oz. Helmet Wink

It all started back a year or two ago, when I saw that Alan was needing someone who was breathing to be used as a fill-in player in one of his tournaments. So being a newbie, I volunteered thinking that I would get paired up with another newbie. Boy, was I in for a surprise, when I found out that I was paired up against Oz! Scared

It didn't take long before I though I was actually in the movie Kelly's Heroes! We ended up playing a Bocage Country scenario. I was assaulted by his tigers! Do you know what I mean by assaulted? Well I mean assaulted! TEEHEE Tank6

So now anytime I hear someone mention Oz's name, I automatically duck for cover! :hide3:

04-21-2012, 04:23 AM,
You only learn by playing someone better than you. You won't find many players, if any, better than Oz. Consider it the graduate course in Squad Battles!

As for early frustration, most of us go through it. I actually put my first SB title, Vietnam, on the shelf for 6 months after I tried playing through some of the scenarios. One day after reading the boards, I decided to dedicate myself to learning the game, frustrations and all. I'm glad I pushed through that initial learning curve.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
04-21-2012, 04:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2012, 04:33 AM by Richie61.)
(04-21-2012, 04:23 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: As for early frustration, most of us go through it. I actually put my first SB title, Vietnam, on the shelf for 6 months after I tried playing through some of the scenarios. One day after reading the boards, I decided to dedicate myself to learning the game, frustrations and all. I'm glad I pushed through that initial learning curve.

I did the same thing with RV. I bought it & got frustrated and put it
away. I found this site one day & asked a few questions. Next I started
messing around with RV & started playing PBEM and never looked back. LOL

I am a ok player. My avg is .366 which isn't that great, but I do play
lots of vets. And I don't mind playing a battle that I know my side can't
win with me as "Commander & Chief" LMAO
Plus I play for the fun of it and enjoy just having great people
like the folks at the Blitz to play against! Big Grin2

"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
04-21-2012, 04:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2012, 05:42 AM by Compass Rose.)
(04-21-2012, 04:23 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: You only learn by playing someone better than you. You won't find many players, if any, better than Oz. Consider it the graduate course in Squad Battles!

I totally agree. All kidding aside, Oz is very highly regarded in this series and he along with theBigRedOne and Rabbit are a huge part into why the SB series has been so successful and fun to play. These guys all know the series like the back of their hand, and are always more than willing to help pass on helpful series information, that may not be included in the manuals.

So playing these type of guys will only make you a better SB series player! Thumbs Up

04-21-2012, 05:32 AM,
Mike still has a long way in learning the nuances of the system but after playing two battles I can say that he retains two crucial elements for a succesful wargamer; curiosity supported by a positive attitude and tactical insight. Very few players start applying a newly discovered game system into a sound tactical play and Mike did not loose time putting things at work in his second pbem. This is probably due to his long experience in another wargame. I am not trying to be polite; I believe Mike will be a very good SB player.
04-21-2012, 05:43 AM,
(04-21-2012, 04:31 AM)Richie61 Wrote:
(04-21-2012, 04:23 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: As for early frustration, most of us go through it. I actually put my first SB title, Vietnam, on the shelf for 6 months after I tried playing through some of the scenarios. One day after reading the boards, I decided to dedicate myself to learning the game, frustrations and all. I'm glad I pushed through that initial learning curve.

I did the same thing with RV. I bought it & got frustrated and put it
away. I found this site one day & asked a few questions. Next I started
messing around with RV & started playing PBEM and never looked back. LOL

My 1st SB title was Eagles Strike (ES).

It took me three separate attempts over a few years and several attempts at reading and rereading the manuals before I finally was able to experience how fun and enjoyable this series really is. I've been playing the series religiously for two years now, and I am still learning. My only regret is that I did not check out the series sooner! :)

04-21-2012, 09:14 PM,
(04-21-2012, 05:32 AM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: Mike still has a long way in learning the nuances of the system but after playing two battles I can say that he retains two crucial elements for a succesful wargamer; curiosity supported by a positive attitude and tactical insight. Very few players start applying a newly discovered game system into a sound tactical play and Mike did not loose time putting things at work in his second pbem. This is probably due to his long experience in another wargame. I am not trying to be polite; I believe Mike will be a very good SB player.

Hey Oz Smoke7

Many thanks for your encouraging words! Big Grin

I'm certainly enjoying and learning more in my second SB game!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email