• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New wargame site
04-04-2012, 01:31 AM,
RE: New wargame site
Members caring to join the new site should do so with the knowledge that the owner is asking for your login and password information to be emailed to him, as pointed out to me today by another Blitz member, there being no security set up yet at his new site.

Since this information is presently unencrypted and will be known to him, please use a different password than you do here at the Blitz (you should anyway). Otherwise the owner of the new site will be able to use your credentials to login in here at the Blitz as you. Not that he would, necessarily, just that he could.

I personnally wish him and his new club well, my only intent here is to prevent a potential future issue.

Thanks,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
04-04-2012, 07:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2012, 03:53 AM by gabeeg.)
I hope the new club does well and is enjoyed by its members...but I am comfortable here, have only had good experiences with opponents at Blitz (other than a couple unexplained game flakes by ex-members). This is a friendly and active place that has as many open games and willing opponents as I need. The only reason I can think of to join another club is if it catered to a game not catered to here.

I absolutely do not like the idea that members at the other site are being accepted or rejected by postings posted at other sites...nor do I like its questionable security....

...someday I might actually become active on the CS ladder :)
04-04-2012, 08:14 PM,
(04-04-2012, 01:31 AM)Scud Wrote: Members caring to join the new site should do so with the knowledge that the owner is asking for your login and password information to be emailed to him, as pointed out to me today by another Blitz member, there being no security set up yet at his new site.

While I don't have any stake in this club thing one way or the other, I am wondering if you would post a copy of an email asking for this? -if you could just take all of the personal info off of it before posting.

See what I'm getting at is while I'm all for clubs being clubs -if asking for user names/passwords from other sites -to me that is far different than just having an alternate club, but a potential privacy issue. I'm fairly sure there is no legitimate reason to ask for this information -ever. Anyways, I also realize that things can be taken out of context, and I would be interested in seeing if for myself.
Bydand
Send this user an email
04-04-2012, 10:04 PM,
(04-04-2012, 08:14 PM)trauth116 Wrote: While I don't have any stake in this club thing one way or the other, I am wondering if you would post a copy of an email asking for this? -if you could just take all of the personal info off of it before posting.

See what I'm getting at is while I'm all for clubs being clubs -if asking for user names/passwords from other sites -to me that is far different than just having an alternate club, but a potential privacy issue. I'm fairly sure there is no legitimate reason to ask for this information -ever. Anyways, I also realize that things can be taken out of context, and I would be interested in seeing if for myself.

There are several public notices at the new site that ask for both a potential member's real name and password information.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-04-2012, 10:47 PM,
It won't be long before they are asking for your bank account numbers, your mother's maiden name, your social security number, a list of your five closest friends and their addresses, etc...... Crazy
04-05-2012, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM by Scud.)
(04-04-2012, 08:14 PM)trauth116 Wrote:
(04-04-2012, 01:31 AM)Scud Wrote: Members caring to join the new site should do so with the knowledge that the owner is asking for your login and password information to be emailed to him, as pointed out to me today by another Blitz member, there being no security set up yet at his new site.

While I don't have any stake in this club thing one way or the other, I am wondering if you would post a copy of an email asking for this? -if you could just take all of the personal info off of it before posting.

I passed along what I was told, but no, I didn't check it out for myself. I suggest you check out his site yourself if you're curious. Regardless, my point was not to criticize, but to remind members that, since the owner of the new site doesn't wish to disclose his identity, he could choose to do harm to this site if you were to use the same logins. Especially if he left here under bad circumstances. Again, not saying he would, just that it's possible.

Fortunately, the recent security Raz, our webmaster, has added should prevent too many problems from arising even if a person got in with the intent to harm.

For those of you who might be unaware, Raz built-in encryption years ago for your passwords here at the Blitz. Even if I go into the database and look at the password fields, all I see is gibberish. Still, using a unique password is always a good idea.

Dave

Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM,
Thanks Dave!!! Well said!!

To all the blitz members taking part in this forum, you have been heard and thank you, but, I think we need to move on here and start enjoying what we love, The Campaign Series!

Its here at the blitz "The Number One Portal for The Campaign Series" anywhere in the universe we all game in! Not an opinion, fact!

Happy Campaign Series Gaming!

Ivan the Big:smoke2:
04-05-2012, 09:10 AM,
(04-04-2012, 10:04 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: There are several public notices at the new site that ask for both a potential member's real name and password information.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing them - I saw a couple of instances where the web master there is saying he'll send out passwords (presumably to his site) as well as one asking for what I took to be their own forum password, and requiring the use of a real name.

None of which actually reads as if they are requiring user names/passwords for other sites -so it seems a little unclear that there actually is a problem or even that they indeed were asking for offsite user names and passwords.

Anyways, the point being, that the site there does not appear to ask for that info.

Fwiw, while i get a fair amount of people registering at the SDC download area -to download files there -registration is not necessary (it only is for people interested in uploading material or posting comments to files [to date no one has ever posted a comment to a file]); I don't know anyone's passwords (apart from on the few accounts I created and sent out to people as admins -and in those cases I presume they changed it to something more personal).

Anyways - my point of interest was only if someone was asking for other site's user names/passwords; I can't find it on the site. Maybe they reworded info on the site, who knows? I guess it isn't an issue.
Bydand
Send this user an email
04-19-2012, 04:05 PM,
It's just a new site. Nothing evil. Everyone is welcome. You may report games on both sites if both players are members and you can import any of your records against any Blitz member that is a member there also.
There have been many changes in the last couple of weeks.
Send this user an email
04-20-2012, 06:47 AM,
Yes, no problem guys, I joined it, seriously, nothing weird at all.

Mike
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/