• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

leaders under fire :)
02-27-2012, 09:46 AM,
RE: leaders under fire :)
So is anyone able to tell me what are the chances of retreating a solitary commander by means of direct fire? 10% for eliminating non-japanese commander but what are the odds of retreating if any?
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2012, 03:33 AM,
(02-27-2012, 09:46 AM)PawelM Wrote: So is anyone able to tell me what are the chances of retreating a solitary commander by means of direct fire? 10% for eliminating non-japanese commander but what are the odds of retreating if any?

I am surprised that ther is no player at Blitz able to ask my question? I wonder if it is because it is not specified anywhere?

Anyone knows anything in this matter?

HelpHelpSOSSOS

Thanks

Pawel

03-01-2012, 08:15 AM,
You have access to the same manual as we do? Read2

Maybe we don't have time to look, we don't see it as an issue, or we could not find it? Farmer

Toast

HSL
03-01-2012, 09:55 AM,
(03-01-2012, 08:15 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: You have access to the same manual as we do? Read2

Maybe we don't have time to look, we don't see it as an issue, or we could not find it? Farmer

Toast

HSL

from what I see in the manual it does not mention the odds for makin the leader to retreat. It only states the percentage numbers for elimination -as already Mr. KK corrected me....

So, it is not that I ma lazy or something but from what I can see the manual does not contain the answer to my question...

So I was hoping someone already knows the answer or can point me to the manual in case I missed it...
03-02-2012, 09:50 PM,
(02-25-2012, 09:22 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: I have played games in which both the commander (Foot) and (Mot) retreated after direct fire while alone... but I would think the percentage chance would be higher for motorized commanders? Idea2

Funny, in my over 2000+ game experience with CS I have never seen a single leader retreat. I believe they get a no effect or eliminated result.

What you may have experiecnced is a leader that was stacked with a unit that you could not see (it happens when there is more than one unit stacked with the leader, escpecially if it is a number of low SP units). When you eliminate some of the seen units with the leader the "hidden unit" does not appear. So when you fire on the "leader" you are actually firing on the "hidden" unit.

Hope that helps everyone.

Thanx!

Hawk
03-03-2012, 09:59 AM,
(03-02-2012, 09:50 PM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
(02-25-2012, 09:22 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: I have played games in which both the commander (Foot) and (Mot) retreated after direct fire while alone... but I would think the percentage chance would be higher for motorized commanders? Idea2

Funny, in my over 2000+ game experience with CS I have never seen a single leader retreat. I believe they get a no effect or eliminated result.

What you may have experiecnced is a leader that was stacked with a unit that you could not see (it happens when there is more than one unit stacked with the leader, escpecially if it is a number of low SP units). When you eliminate some of the seen units with the leader the "hidden unit" does not appear. So when you fire on the "leader" you are actually firing on the "hidden" unit.

Hope that helps everyone.

Thanx!

Hawk

This is what I found in my much smaller number of games...
And the very reason I started scorching throught the manual to see if it was actually possible... which I thought it wasn't

Does anyone agree it should be possible to force a solitary commander to retreat by direct fire? this is escpecially of merit since from my experience (painful by losses taken from my oppponents) leaders maintain LOS even on their own....

01-24-2013, 02:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013, 04:18 AM by Crossroads.)
Resurrection time!

Mike and I decided to do a little test, and added a StuG as a Commander to EF:FB mod.

Before I continue any further, let me assure this capability is only available via this mod, these are completely new units, and thus can be introduced only via new scenarios. That in turn require the mod to be installed.

Anyway, the StuG leader brought up game functionality I was not aware earlier, and I thought are worth sharing here. Especially for EF:FB scenarios with these leader units, as a StuG is very easily spotted, while an accompanying say infantry unit may not be spotted.

Here's what I found out, and the following is true regardless of a type of commander (foot, mot., tank):

- When a leader is spotted, but all other units in hex remain unspotted, the direct fire selection dialogue opens up with an empty list. This was the part that seemed confusing, inititially.

Further testing however proved it is possible to shoot at the leader via firing into hex in general (ie. not having the cross-hair on top of leader, but by pointing it to an other area in the hex). The leader may get killed this way, while the other unspotted units remain not harmed nor spotted.

- When a leader is spotted, and at least one another unit is spotted, leader cannot be targeted alone. Either one unit must be selected from the selection dialogue (if there's two or more spotted non-leader units), or a generic direct fire into hex fires at the spotted non-leader unit (if there was only one spotted non-leader unit). This is the common case we all know and think nothing of.

- When leader is alone in the hex, and spotted, no target selection dialogue opens and the direct fire command takes on the commander. Business as usual as well.

So. Even when the leader is not alone, but is spotted alone, he can be killed then. Better keep your head down in the fox hole!

Or in another case that can happen with any scenario, watch out if for an example you stack your leader with a small caliber ATG unit. Leader may be spotted while the ATG is not. He then does not receive the extra protection you thought of, but can be killed alone.

I ran like 50 different tests, and in no case did a fire result in leader retreating, to answer the OP. He either got killed, or not harmed at all. Regarless if he was alone or with other but unspotted units.

Of course, leader together with an accompanying spotted unit often retreated as a result of direct fire hitting the spotted non-leader unit.

When assaulted, though, a lone leader might retreat as well.

I was not aware of this behaviour before, and this was an interesting experience.

So, as a conclusion, the little experiment with Panzer Leader units can continue.

Maybe, just maybe, we will introduce a Halftrack Leader to next release of EF:FB Whip

[Image: aGud]

Now, if that didn't get your attention I don't know what does Helmet Wink

Thanks, Petri :)

Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-24-2013, 02:56 AM,
(02-26-2012, 03:59 AM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Thanks Pawel,

Interesting, I learned something. Come to think of it I haven't noticed in the 1.04 JTCS. I just assumed they couldn't spot like real units. But I will look for it now. I may be thinking of the 1.02 versions of the system. So maybe that was changed when JTCS 1.04 came out.

Thanks
Ivan the Big:smoke2:

I was under the same impression that lone leaders will only see a ?

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-24-2013, 03:13 AM,
I just ran a test with a leader(mot.), and it can spot. 20-20 vision and all that. Good thing again, new tasks for these little slackers... Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-24-2013, 09:34 AM,
(01-24-2013, 03:13 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: I just ran a test with a leader(mot.), and it can spot. 20-20 vision and all that. Good thing again, new tasks for these little slackers... Helmet Smile

If it can spot.........it should be able to get shot :-)...........or as the old war adage goes.."If you can see your enemy; your enemy can see you"

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."