• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"With the Old Breed" - A Book Review
02-24-2012, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012, 07:32 AM by Kool Kat.)
Off Topic  "With the Old Breed" - A Book Review
Gents: Smoke7

I just finished reading what I consider one of the top World War II autobiographical novels ever written - "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge.

"With the Old Breed" follows the exploits of E.B. Sledge (Sledgehammer), a private in Company K, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, through basic training and than two hellish and brutal island battles – Peleliu and Okinawa. The Pacific, a 10-part mini-series, is based on this novel.

You can read my book review HERE.

Highly recommended! Big Grin2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2012, 06:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012, 06:53 PM by Antoni Chmielowski .)
RE: "With the Old Breed" - A Book Review
I have it and agree with you Mike !

I found it lot less wordy than Robert Leckies "Helmet for My Pillow".
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
02-24-2012, 09:32 PM,
RE: "With the Old Breed" - A Book Review
(02-24-2012, 06:52 PM)Antoni Chmielowski Wrote: I have it and agree with you Mike !

I found it lot less wordy than Robert Leckies "Helmet for My Pillow".

Hey Toni: Smoke7

Yes. "With the Old Breed" is a very "readable" novel. The author's words are much like having a conversation between two good friends. Very digestible. Read2

Another "factoid" I found interesting, was that E.B. Sledge wrote this novel 36 years after World War II. He was plagued with nightmares and battle fatigue following his tour of duty, and it took him years to resume a more normal life.

Than he relived the nightmarish battles again while writing "With the Old Breed."

A remarkable man. Salute
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email