• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Units Breakdown
02-18-2012, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2012, 08:59 PM by von Manstein.)
RE: Units Breakdown
I would prefer to have in the game posibility to see 'friendly' mine fields and most important: improved positions, bunkers ect. How I can plan retreat to the second defence line when I don't know where it is (engineers build trenches and send message: 'It's ready. Guess where' Look, or ask themself: Where the F... it was???).

Other thing is 'scroll to enemy action'. I would like to have it working during enemy indirect artylery fire. Especially when the barrage is in my LOS.
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2012, 02:59 AM,
(02-18-2012, 08:58 PM)von Manstein Wrote: I would prefer to have in the game posibility to see 'friendly' mine fields and most important: improved positions, bunkers ect...

I've never understood that either. What's the logic behind not knowing where your own mine fields are?

Dave

Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
02-19-2012, 05:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2012, 05:46 AM by Skryabin.)
(02-19-2012, 02:59 AM)Scud Wrote:
(02-18-2012, 08:58 PM)von Manstein Wrote: I would prefer to have in the game posibility to see 'friendly' mine fields and most important: improved positions, bunkers ect...
I've never understood that either. What's the logic behind not knowing where your own mine fields are?
Dave
Come on guys, this is your responsibility to know where your oun minefields are. LMAO

02-19-2012, 07:08 PM,
TOAW has the capability for breaking down / combining units. Given the engine operates on a variable scale, determined by scenario designer, it often makes sense for example breaking down your regiments into battalions, and assigning them for rear area duty when pushing forward. There's a penalty for that, I recall a split unit operates on 85% level in comparison to its actual strength. When units are again combined to original unit size, it then operates on 100% level. Additionally, there's a penalty for combined action if the units participating in the same action are from different organizations or army groups, what have you. It works really nicely.

With JTCS, imho of course, I really don't see any real need for this. Then again, in a world of infinite programming resources, it would be nice to be able to combine units in some cases, or split, in some cases.

It could be done in a way like at the moment in a team game towards the end of its 40 turns my platoons are pretty much shot into pieces. It would be nice to combine those pretty much useless SP1 and even SP2 squads into platoon sizes, to re-organise. That should be done with a penalty, so perhaps a combined platoon from the left overs of a company should operate on a 85% proficiency.

Splitting down / combining transports, that would be nice of course. Helmet Smile

And finally,

(02-19-2012, 05:46 AM)Skryabin Wrote: Come on guys, this is your responsibility to know where your oun minefields are. LMAO

As they are often placed there by the scenario designer, there is no way to know where they are unless a unit has a line of sight to that field? Or does even that help? The same goes for friendly entrenchments forming a second line of defence. If you don't have a unit there in the beginning you do not spot them, right?

Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM,
The designers could provide a jpg of the battlefield from the scn editor with all friendly positions. Helmet Wink

Huib
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM by von Manstein.)
(02-19-2012, 07:08 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: As they are often placed there by the scenario designer, there is no way to know where they are unless a unit has a line of sight to that field? Or does even that help? The same goes for friendly entrenchments forming a second line of defence. If you don't have a unit there in the beginning you do not spot them, right?

And that is the problem. I know where is some elevator or other 'special' building on the map but I don't know where are my defence lines. First one requires reconnaissance the second one not (in real life).
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM,
(02-19-2012, 07:08 PM)Battle Kat Wrote:
(02-19-2012, 05:46 AM)Skryabin Wrote: Come on guys, this is your responsibility to know where your oun minefields are. LMAO
As they are often placed there by the scenario designer, there is no way to know where they are unless a unit has a line of sight to that field? Or does even that help? The same goes for friendly entrenchments forming a second line of defence. If you don't have a unit there in the beginning you do not spot them, right?
Of course, I was just kidding, modeling "it's not a game problem" kind of answer. Realy liked your thoughts about reorganising 1SP & 2SP units into a full platoon, and about penalties.

BTW, to my taste I consider CS simply the best wargame as it is now. But it doesn't mean that it can not get better.

02-19-2012, 11:21 PM,
(02-19-2012, 07:08 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: It could be done in a way like at the moment in a team game towards the end of its 40 turns my platoons are pretty much shot into pieces. It would be nice to combine those pretty much useless SP1 and even SP2 squads into platoon....

This is a useful intel for allies confirming our advance is working . Thanks Petri :)
02-19-2012, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2012, 11:44 PM by Crossroads.)
Pawel, Just a bit of leaked information on your way again, to keep you coming into open. Then we can unleash our wonder weapons at you! Helmet Wink

(02-19-2012, 09:49 PM)Skryabin Wrote: BTW, to my taste I consider CS simply the best wargame as it is now. But it doesn't mean that it can not get better.

+1 Helmet Smile

Visit us at CSLegion.com