• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Africa at War Tourney
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM,
RE: Africa at War Tourney
May be a silly question, but does that imply that I am to play the same scenario from both sides at the same time? That's a gross illegitimate intelligence leak to know exactly what the enemy has in its store, quite unthinkable even on a tactical level.Freaking chessboard that is; as a hard core realism freak I would have pretty hard time accepting that.I never play mirror games because of that nor swap the sides afterwards, right after the game has been concluded.

... And all the three scenarios at once or in succession?
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 12:24 AM,
(02-10-2012, 05:09 PM)burroughs Wrote: May be a silly question, but does that imply that I am to play the same scenario from both sides at the same time? That's a gross illegitimate intelligence leak to know exactly what the enemy has in its store, quite unthinkable even on a tactical level.Freaking chessboard that is; as a hard core realism freak I would have pretty hard time accepting that.I never play mirror games because of that nor swap the sides afterwards, right after the game has been concluded.

... And all the three scenarios at once or in succession?

Then you won't be playing in this tourney. As Mad Dog stated, it is a mirrored tourney.

Realistically, if you're playing someone in a PBEM, you almost have to assume they've played the scenario before either solo or PBEM.

Knowing things ahead of time and being to actually play the scenario well are two very different things.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
02-11-2012, 12:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012, 08:43 PM by burroughs.)
(02-11-2012, 12:24 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Then you won't be playing in this tourney. As Mad Dog stated, it is a mirrored tourney.

Realistically, if you're playing someone in a PBEM, you almost have to assume they've played the scenario before either solo or PBEM.

Knowing things ahead of time and being to actually play the scenario well are two very different things.

Sure I won't, thanks for the enlightenment anyway, life won't ever be the same anymore.

Truly, I play against folks who have played the scenario before and have no problem with that, some time has passed and rarely anybody has such a vivid memory I seem to and even me fail mostly to recall all the details so that would be very different levels of recon which doesn't come from surveying the battlefield first hand.Namely, am playing with a meaningful proportion of enlisted participants presently

At the same time I happen to play some who haven't so it is achievable.

Having a bad day or what? Here we have a good ol' classic movie entitled " I Hate Mondays"; one of the famous quotations goes " ... we are affraifd of what we don't understand ... " Looks as if that works both ways.

Have fun, guys.
02-11-2012, 01:41 AM,
If there is still an opening I would like to try my hand at this one.
02-11-2012, 03:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012, 03:26 AM by kolc.)

That is what is fun about PBEM...no matter how well you know a scenario...the human element always brings the unexpected....Soap Box
02-11-2012, 04:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012, 04:25 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
(02-11-2012, 03:22 AM)kolc Wrote: That is what is fun about PBEM...no matter how well you know a scenario...the human element always brings the unexpected....Soap Box

It's why most folks don't have an issue with mirrored tourney games, like the ones that Abram and I both run here.

Knowing where the enemy is initially set up has no bearing on where they'll be when the ordinance starts to fly. It isn't playing with the Fog of War off, although I'm convinced that even if I played Ozgur under those circumstances he'd still kick my ass...
02-11-2012, 06:37 AM,
(02-11-2012, 04:24 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(02-11-2012, 03:22 AM)kolc Wrote: That is what is fun about PBEM...no matter how well you know a scenario...the human element always brings the unexpected....Soap Box

It's why most folks don't have an issue with mirrored tourney games, like the ones that Abram and I both run here.

Knowing where the enemy is initially set up has no bearing on where they'll be when the ordinance starts to fly. It isn't playing with the Fog of War off, although I'm convinced that even if I played Ozgur under those circumstances he'd still kick my ass...

I wish I had this base game. I have to get this and Winter War next.

What your next one after this tourney?

"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-11-2012, 07:02 AM,
I haven't decided yet. I'm trying to get a few slow pokes to finish up Round Two of the Ostfront Tourney first!

Winter War has always been a favorite game for me, being the first I was involved with the playtesting. I think if I could drum up enough folks to play, it would be high on my list of tourneys to run...
02-11-2012, 07:12 AM,
(02-11-2012, 07:02 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: I haven't decided yet. I'm trying to get a few slow pokes to finish up Round Two of the Ostfront Tourney first!

Winter War has always been a favorite game for me, being the first I was involved with the playtesting. I think if I could drum up enough folks to play, it would be high on my list of tourneys to run...

Give me advanced warning if it's Winter War and I am there!
You always need a Newbie to whip LOL
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-11-2012, 07:30 AM,
(02-11-2012, 07:12 AM)Richie61 Wrote: Give me advanced warning if it's Winter War and I am there!
You always need a Newbie to whip LOL

Lucky for you, you are playing the SB series. If everything goes right, you will not be a newbie for too long. Now if you were playing the PzC or MC series, you would be a newbie for a long time because of the learning curve is alot higher.