• Downloads

IF you enjoy WW1 naval war as I do...
02-06-2012, 04:01 AM,
IF you enjoy WW1 naval war as I do...
...check out "Steam and Iron" at http://www.navalwarfare.net/

You won/t be disappointed ; I love it after 5 minutes of play
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2012, 04:41 AM,
RE: IF you enjoy WW1 naval war as I do...
Thanks for the heads up on it.
02-08-2012, 08:04 AM,
Yep, it is a small elegant game and a great canvas for the future updates they have planned. I am only on my 3rd scenario and this game plays so well and feels "right" where a lot of other (...well really very few) naval combat games do not. It is well worth a purchase if you are at all interested in operational naval operations (not just WWI as they have plans to cover other conflict periods in the future). I really like HPS Naval game Midway but I think Steam and Iron is actually a bit better when it comes to simulation and user interface for ship to ship combat and manuever...of course it does not compete with Midways number one feature which is Naval air combat.
02-13-2012, 09:45 AM,
Gabeeg -so there is an operational element. It looked mainly tactical to me, but an operational level WWI naval game would be of more interest to me (as part of a larger project I am a part of). What I am looking for are oob's from different parts of the war -with ports where fleets were based out of.

Then the tougher part is coming up with making it relevant to an operational -verging on strategic ground boardgame. That would be the tough part.

Just pure tactical, wouldn't be so much help with regards to that -but operational could be.

I also hope that the sea color isn't hardcoded and can be modded - soft yellow and straight cyan don't work so well. :) If it is hard-coded ... suggesting they just choose a different hexidecimal code. Not a show-stopper though.
Bydand
Send this user an email
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM,
It actually is only operational in the sense that its primary focus is not individual ship control, it is really geared to you being the admiral (there are Rear admiral and captain modes, each with more control...but not at a true tactical decision level). Hopefully, Where the true operational comes in is in the promised campaign system that will be released. Currently it does not sound as if it would meet your needs as ports are not yet considered or any logistics such as coaling, etc.

You will be happy to hear that colors for sea, land and sides are not hard coded and can be changed in the preferences.

...I am intrigued by your project...can we hear more?
02-13-2012, 05:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM by -72-.)
(02-13-2012, 02:37 PM)gabeeg Wrote: It actually is only operational in the sense that its primary focus is not individual ship control, it is really geared to you being the admiral (there are Rear admiral and captain modes, each with more control...but not at a true tactical decision level). Hopefully, Where the true operational comes in is in the promised campaign system that will be released. Currently it does not sound as if it would meet your needs as ports are not yet considered or any logistics such as coaling, etc.

You will be happy to hear that colors for sea, land and sides are not hard coded and can be changed in the preferences.

...I am intrigued by your project...can we hear more?

It isn't really my project per se - but I am working on some material for SPW's 'Der Weltkrieg' series. I just happen to be involved in the proof-reading aspect of a set of reprinted titles. At this point the series isn't slated to have anything but an abstract role for the naval system. The suggestion I had read and thought about was maybe working with Avalanche Press' Great War at Sea set (although for me that system's combat resolution seems a little too abstract...).

At this point it is more of a mod project I am thinking of -and more info (such as NWS' title) is probably a good thing. I suppose at this point it is more of a potential idea.

___

So who knows- but the next time I get in an order I might add that in as well. I appreciate the info. :)
Bydand
Send this user an email
02-15-2012, 01:43 AM,
Is the game solo vs. computer only or can it be played PBEM?

Send this user an email
02-15-2012, 03:15 AM,
Currently it is only solo vs. AI...but PBEM and/or internet play is on the wish list...and has been discussed.
02-15-2012, 03:38 AM,
OK thanks!

I will wait to purchase, eagerly anticipating PBEM at some future date.

Helmet Smile
Send this user an email
04-26-2012, 04:43 PM,
NWS has posted a playable demo today.