• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scenarios by Larry Reese Offered for Play and Testing
01-27-2012, 09:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: Scenarios by Larry Reese Offered for Play and Testing
Larry, the link I provided is to Leavenforths papers and I think I originally got it from you. We have the same source. I hope the link to Ziemke's book provides you with some additional information should you need any. :)

Here's the map of Lapland. As you see, the Finns were pushing North with three pincers, as there were only three roads available.

[Image: German_withdrawal_from_finland_summer_1944.jpg]

At the end, they did battle the Germans all the way to 'Finland's left arm' (Petsamo is in the right 'arm'). That is an area where Finns would have operated in close approximaty with Soviets, and they got there already in November 1944, but were unable to do anything but wait the Germans would leave their strong positions. At that time all that Finns had up there was one division, made of conscripts.

The eastern side saw Finns fight all the way up to Ivalo, where they indeed requested that Soviet forces should enter Finland to threten the rear of German units. That never materialised, as the Petsamo-Kirkenes operation soon bogged down in a similar fashion Finns had already experienced. With all road infrastructure thoroughly destroyed, it is very difficult to force a way open when the enemy enjoyes the full transport infrastructure in place, and can retreat from one prepared position to another, destroying all bridges etc while falling back.

I would be more than happy to look at the scenario you have put together so far, and to see how the Finns coulde perhaps play a role there.

Helmet Smile

Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scenarios by Larry Reese Offered for Play and Testing - by Crossroads - 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM