• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Buy or not buy.
01-22-2012, 04:23 AM,
Buy or not buy.
Hi!

I'm considering purchase of 'Gary Grigsby's War in the East' game. But I'm not sure will I find myself in this game engine. At present I'm playing only Campiagn Series so I ask you (especially those of you who play CS) for some suggestions/opinions. I don't want to spend 55.99 GBP and put the game aside after few hours/minutes of playing.

Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2012, 06:07 AM,
RE: Buy or not buy.
Von Manstein,

Well, that is a tough one as WitE is nothing like CS..except it is a turn based hex game. WitE is an operational level game, where CS is a more tactical level game...and it will really depend if you like operational level games. If you have experience with operational games and you like them...and you like Eastern Front WWII, then WitE is really a great game and I can highly suggest it. It really is worth the money. It is probably one of the easier to get into operational games also, so if you are not experienced it is probably the second best starter game next to DC: Warsaw to Paris...or maybe Unity of Command (though I have not played the latter). I feel odd saying a Grigsby would be a decent entry level game...but it is.

I hope this helps a little. I was hoping someone with more experience with operational games would answer this but nobody was jumping in and I wanted you to at least receive some advice. I am primarily a tactical guy (CS, SB, WinSPWW2, etc.).

01-24-2012, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2012, 07:00 AM by Lowlander.)
Let me take you on a detour, IMO War in the Pacific is a much better game to spend your money on, but maybe your not interested in this theatre of operations.
Anyhow go to the Matrix forum and browse thro the AAR's for a more in depth view.
01-27-2012, 09:52 AM,
...I love War in the Pacific: AE and it may or may not be a better game, but they are way different and it would depend in what you are into...Pacific - Naval with heavy logistics management or Eastern Front - ground with more stream lined logistics. Personally I would not recommend War in the Pacific to a person just starting to investigate operational games, but I would highly suggest it for someone that likes operational games and has a bit of operational experience under their belt. For me it had the steepest learning curve of any PC war game that I own...I am still beginner after years of playing Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific.
01-31-2012, 01:39 AM,
I just bought it myself Von Manstein. I'm spending most of my time just reading manual, digging deep into this sim. It is simply amazing! It is extremely deep sim. If you are into details, you'll like it. War in the Pacific is superb as well.
01-31-2012, 01:46 AM,
Thanks guys for reply cheers

I may pop-up on your ladder soon