• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Old Question - New Group
01-20-2012, 11:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 11:48 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: Old Question - New Group
(01-20-2012, 11:08 AM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Then much to our chagrin in early '74 I think, PanzerLeader came out!

You thought it was the second coming of the Lord Almighty!!

It was the second coming? Helmet Wink

I got involved with boardgames in early eighties with Panzer Leader. A simply awesome game, as with Ivan played first single games until found a kindred spirit, I still know the situations by heart.

Another Avalon Hill game I played extensively was Third Reich, quite enjoyed that scale as well.

With computers, bought myself a Commodere 64 with my first summer job salary. Some fine games there as well, Nato Commander for an example

[Image: nato_commander_01.gif]

I recall when things got too hot for Nato commander, he always had a chance to call the tactical nukes into play... There was some sort of moral damage to go with that, though... TEEHEE

Some awesome :horse: 1st person shooters as well, like for an example Airborne Ranger when it came out was something completely new:

[Image: Airborne_Ranger.png]

As Talonsoft came out with EF in late nineties, it was an immediate purchase decision. Then WF, then EF II. Played mostly against AI and with Hotseat, joined Blitz only a couple of years ago. What fun it has been ever since.

I have quite limited time to actually play nowadays, the only titles I play are JTCS and Total War series, especially Rome and Empire (as Swedes, would you believe... Crazy ).

PS On another note, we are a club of old farts aren't we! :dual4:
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2012, 12:25 AM,
Smile  RE: Old Question - New Group
I started playing the original TOAW back in 1998 ( I think !) at the old grognards website, then the old leadeaters site.

Once I got bored with TOAW I started playing CM in about 2003 with some (banned) names from the past (Geordie, BlitzCanuck ) and some retired members like Bootie and the much loved POS.

When I got bored with that I then started playing the old Talonsoft Version of EF2 etc in about 2005, then bought the JTCS version.

I am now playing WiTP, and WiTP-AE (c/o of the recent Maxtrix sale).

I have loved every game I have played and I wish to thank my opponents who have put up with my military skill that is even lower than Marshal Kulik in WW2 !.

Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
01-21-2012, 11:31 AM,
Any of you remember a gentleman who used to play CS either very early here, or over on LeadEaters who had a heart attack and passed away when he was painting a house, I think? I can't recall his name (what a shame that is). I've just been thinking about all the folks I've known from here or more accurately, known because of the CS, over the years.

Later

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM,
LR

Was that Jim Puff or Ruff or something like that? I thought he had a scenario out too!?

ITB:smoke2:
01-21-2012, 08:36 PM,
Yes, Ivan, I think that was his name. Good memory you have.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
01-21-2012, 08:39 PM,
(01-21-2012, 07:02 PM)Ivan The Big Wrote: LR

Was that Jim Puff or Ruff or something like that? I thought he had a scenario out too!?

ITB:smoke2:

Jim Puff passed away some years ago. I think he was at work when he had a heart attack. Don Fox and Jim Puff introduced me to the Blitz in 2003. They helped me a lot with my first design efforts.
Recently I came across some of his emails that were still in a now unused mailbox from my work. Makes you think...

Huib
01-21-2012, 10:21 PM,
(01-21-2012, 11:31 AM)Larry Reese Wrote: Any of you remember a gentleman who used to play CS either very early here, or over on LeadEaters who had a heart attack and passed away when he was painting a house, I think? I can't recall his name (what a shame that is). I've just been thinking about all the folks I've known from here or more accurately, known because of the CS, over the years.

Later

LR

It was Jim Puff..........he was one true gaming gentleman.....and was always willing to help play test some of my creations.............you always miss the good guys and we do them great honor by remembering them

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-24-2012, 03:39 AM,
Amen Earl.
I still remember the e-mail I received from his wife.
Truly a sad day for the club.

For anyone interested I have attached four pictures of Jim. They were around Christmas before he passed away.

Ed

Attached Files
.zip   PC240024.zip (Size: 2.39 MB / Downloads: 11)
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM,
Ed, (HSL),

Very very very cool of you to do that.

Thanks for sharing your memories!!!!!

I had minimal contact with Jim, but what he did to move this game engine forward will always remain in my heart!!

When he passed I was sad, still am!

Thanks again!

John
01-24-2012, 11:43 AM,
John,

I think sadness is a good word. We lost a good one in Jim Puff.
I've been toying with bringing back the "Jim Puff Top Gun" tourney.

But, I think someone else should run it. Raven and I herded the "top guns" along. At the end the two foes took forever to finish.
Raven is no longer visiting the club. And, I have to admit, Jim's passing took the wind out of my sails.
I'd assist anyone in running the tourney. I just do not think I can front it with the daily running of it. I'll look up the old tourney rules and see which members qualify for the tourney.
Maybe make a separate post on it and see if any of the "top guns" are interested. I think the badge is still around.
Instead of running the most balanced scenarios by ladder sort, do the ones that have passed the H2H testing process?

It was supposed to be an annual thing. I fear I dropped the ball.

Regards,

Ed