• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS MC recon choppers and gunships in flight
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2012, 04:18 AM by burroughs.)
HPS MC recon choppers and gunships in flight
I guess I haven't missed anything and I already do know the answer, but just in case to be on the safe side I'd like to make myself compeletely sure that there is no chance for jets to target recon choppers and gunships on a combat mission so they can only be legitimately engaged by ground AA weapons systems.I am assuming that once on a bombing run my aircraft are covered by fighters on air superiority and interception mission so potentially they should be able to engage targets in flight ( still that would be a waste of ordanance in terms of the way the game engine works to bomb an otherwise empty hex just to vector the fastmovers there in order to intercept the choppers. Nevertheless what the Green Berets learned in Vietnam; what is stupid and works is not stupid so ... How do we take into account then the third digit in the air support panel since I am assuming that after anti-armour and anti - personnel value there goes the AA one?Does it only reflect a wing ability to withstand the enemy air superiority and interception missions?
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2012, 02:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2012, 02:42 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
RE: HPS MC recon choppers and gunships in flight
The third digit is the Defence Value against AA. Airstrikes cannot target helicopters, since they do not have an AA value. If they had an AA value they probably could. It is theorhetically possible to give them an AA value using the OOB editor, but I do not know whether it will work.

The query is valid enough though, since some of the lighter aircraft (the german Alphajet for instance) had a secondary anti-helicopter role due to their low speed and maneuverability at low altitude.
Send this user an email
01-19-2012, 04:28 AM,
(01-19-2012, 02:39 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: The third digit is the Defence Value against AA. Airstrikes cannot target helicopters, since they do not have an AA value. If they had an AA value they probably could. It is theorhetically possible to give them an AA value using the OOB editor, but I do not know whether it will work.

The query is valid enough though, since some of the lighter aircraft (the german Alphajet for instance) had a secondary anti-helicopter role due to their low speed and maneuverability at low altitude.

Thanks a lot sir, Colonel sir.Liberation of Denmark in progress along with some other aggressive manoeuvers against the NATO mercenaries.
01-19-2012, 05:09 AM,
Heh. Be sure to leave some comments and ratings for the scenario when you finish it. I believe that it is still moderately pro-WAPA and requires very good play on the NATO players behalf (and some WAPA mistakes) in order for NATO to win. But in order to remain somewhat true to the original premise of the stock DF85 scenario, I am at my wits end as to what further pro-NATO modifiers to introduce. Therefore I am planning to make another new scenario, which is not based on a simple revision of the DF85 stock scenario.
Send this user an email
01-19-2012, 08:16 AM,
Tried setting up a test scenario where I gave a strike mission a 2/1 AA value. Did absolutely squat. So we can conclude that airstrikes, even when they have a non-zero AA value, will do nothing to flying helicopters.
Send this user an email
01-19-2012, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 03:54 AM by burroughs.)
(01-19-2012, 08:16 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: Tried setting up a test scenario where I gave a strike mission a 2/1 AA value. Did absolutely squat. So we can conclude that airstrikes, even when they have a non-zero AA value, will do nothing to flying helicopters.

I see, too bad perhaps since I am used from the TOAW III theatres to use my air assets actively along both vertical and horizontal axes and boast with some good results mainly.

The mistake was to rush Polish divisions to their objectives in the transport mode yet before the dusk set in so they were subject to NATO interdiction strikes which raised the loss ratio including the supply units which I am suppossed to conserve for later. Now I am facing some terrible bottlenecks since the DFR 6th Panzer Grenadier Div apparently decided to make a stand and I am slowly folding their right southernmost wing.I guess I could have known better by means of pure common sense, but ... I need to be fast on my objectives within some 48 hours for the fear of some desperate nuclear strikes.