• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on S40 - Volcano_alt 0924_02 scn.
01-18-2012, 07:02 AM,
RE: Question on S40 - Volcano_alt 0924_02 scn.
Not really, that is a well known issue and they all pretty much avoid that problem. I think it was was overlooked in this one (mistakes happen).
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2012, 06:34 AM,
(01-17-2012, 09:02 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Ah, I see. It is because they are setup as type "mortar" but should instead by type "artillery" to get them to work properly. You can do this yourself by searching the OOB for "NW" and then changing the type to artillery. I will fix that in the next Alt OOB update, thanks.

Ed, could you please elaborate on the difference between how arty and mortars are handled? This is news to me, and may explain things that I have puzzled over in the past.
01-20-2012, 08:17 AM,
Good Question Liebchen...
I see in the Alts Nebelwerfers are MOR(tars) while in the stock they are ROC(ket).

01-20-2012, 09:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 09:27 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, the reason is "neberwerfer" is the term the Germans used for both mortars and the rockets that everyone thinks of. There were no rocket type nebelwerfers in 1940 that I know of, the first such rocket type nebelwerfer coming into widespread use in 1941 AFAIK. So, the 1940 Nebelwefer would be a mortar, this 10.5cm device here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_cm_Nebelwerfer_40

...I suppose that I "corrected" the weapon type in the Alt (from rocket) and in my haste I forgot about the issue caused by mortars (how they only provide support to the immediate organization, and do not behave like artillery). So, corps/army level mortar units have to be set up as "artillery", not "mortars" to work. Fixed and fixed. ;)

It is not like I was being a perfectionist about it, I only really changed the unit type and graphic because I am using the mortar combat ratings in the Alt, which I believe are correct. If someone knows of 10.5cm Nebelwerfer rocket launcher that was widely used in mid 1940 then let me know, but 10.5cm NW 40 is really only one possible thing it could be. :)

(01-20-2012, 06:34 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(01-17-2012, 09:02 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Ah, I see. It is because they are setup as type "mortar" but should instead by type "artillery" to get them to work properly. You can do this yourself by searching the OOB for "NW" and then changing the type to artillery. I will fix that in the next Alt OOB update, thanks.

Ed, could you please elaborate on the difference between how arty and mortars are handled? This is news to me, and may explain things that I have puzzled over in the past.

Sure. Basically mortar type units can only support the units within their immediate organization. So, if a mortar unit is under a brigade organization, then it can only support units within that brigade organization. This is what was happening here, the mortar was under the support troop sub-organization, so it could only support those units.

Artillery and rocket units on the other hand work differently, they can support units across many lateral and higher organizations up to the first HQ unit above it. So, in the same example, if the corps level unit is type rocket or artillery, then as long as there is no HQ unit in its immediate organization, it check higher until it reaches the next HQ (which is at corps level for example). This determines that the artillery/rocket unit can support all units under the organization that the higher HQ unit belongs to (the corps).

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much. Eek
Send this user an email
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM by Kuriltai.)
Mortar

To Nebelwerfer or not to Nebelwerfer...that is the Question. Big Grin Thanks for clearing that up.