• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scenario Testing for Ladder Points?
01-17-2012, 08:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-17-2012, 11:24 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: Scenario Testing for Ladder Points?
(01-17-2012, 11:11 AM)Scud Wrote: So based on everything posted I would lean toward:
1. Allowing the posting of non-H2H scenarios, provided (if it's a play test) the designer posts the availability of the file, mentions it's there for play testers, and anyone who plays it makes the effort to play it to the finish. I think what's created an issue is the secretive nature of an upload, play-test between a couple of friends, then the file disappears, so an open posting should take care of that.
2. Medal awards, bronze, silver, gold.

Gents: Smoke7

I like this compromise and besides... who does NOT like shiny medals? Maracas
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2012, 11:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM by Scud.)
I received several emails concerning this, so I asked for advice amongst the other ladder mods and officers. We thought this should be discussed openly to see if there was a general consensus that the membership could follow as a routine guideline, as opposed to an enforceable "rule". We also needed to know if this was even an issue.

A few things I saw posted that I liked. Far and away, number 1, are the posts from designers who design for the pure satisfaction and don't want or need any other reward. Kudos and thanks. Can't ever say that enough.

I also liked the medal idea. A bronze, silver and gold level. Toni and I might need some help finding the designers who would get what, since it would be a retroactive thing and this club goes back a long ways. Some will wear the medal proudly and some will throw it in their sock drawer, but in the end, it's the thought that counts.

For those who feel OK about posting a test scenario and playing for points, I don't have any objections, personally. As was mentioned, this can easily be abused, but it can anyway?

So based on everything posted I would lean toward:
1. Allowing the posting of non-H2H scenarios, provided (if it's a play test) the designer posts the availability of the file, mentions it's there for play testers, and anyone who plays it makes the effort to play it to the finish. I think what's created an issue is the secretive nature of an upload, play-test between a couple of friends, then the file disappears, so an open posting should take care of that.
2. Medal awards, bronze, silver, gold.

Point #1 would be a recommended code of conduct among the design community, 99% of whom I seriously doubt would have an issue. For those of you who feel this needs to be a policeable kind of thing, you gotta tell me how and make a better case for it then I've seen in this thread...and maybe that's a good thing.

So, will that work? Anything else?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-17-2012, 11:49 AM,
(01-17-2012, 11:11 AM)Scud Wrote: I also liked the medal idea. A bronze, silver and gold level. Toni and I might need some help finding the designers who would get what, since it would be a retroactive thing and this club goes back a long ways.

Actually, finding out how many scenarios a member uploaded is quite easy. Sort each scenario dBASE by "player". Count a specific member's uploaded scenarios. Maybe the designers could do that themselves? Write

I'll save you one member's search. Huib should be issued a "gold". Angel

(01-17-2012, 11:11 AM)Scud Wrote: For those who feel OK about posting a test scenario and playing for points, I don't have any objections, personally. As was mentioned, this can easily be abused, but it can anyway?

I think playing an non-uploaded scenario should have the players use the "generic" Size Mod 1,2,3,4, or 5 scenario designations. Anyone uploading scenario to report a game against it should leave the scenario for all to play, post, and comment upon. But, I can accept anything the moderators decide. Farmer

:drink:

HSL

01-17-2012, 01:17 PM,
1. This seems to me a very reasonable compromise, which should be adopted. I imagine personnel would be at liberty to refuse such earthly rewards.

2. However, being a pedantic old bast*rd, the phrase "Allowing the posting of non-H2H scenarios," carries the implication that posting these scens is not allowed, whereas this is in fact a long-held club practice. I suggest amending thus..."Continuing the posting......"

01-17-2012, 01:39 PM,
(01-17-2012, 01:17 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: 1. This seems to me a very reasonable compromise, which should be adopted. I imagine personnel would be at liberty to refuse such earthly rewards.
Absolutely. If awarded, but refused, we merely hit the delete button.

(01-17-2012, 01:17 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: 2. However, being a pedantic old bast*rd, the phrase "Allowing the posting of non-H2H scenarios," carries the implication that posting these scens is not allowed, whereas this is in fact a long-held club practice. I suggest amending thus..."Continuing the posting......"

I no write good English I'm guess, but what I meant, though, so... yes, "continuing the posting..." If all agree we'll make a little sticky and post it for proofing. :)

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-20-2012, 12:46 AM,
So to try and clear this up for myself.

Designers get medals not points.

H2H Testers get?
Send this user an email
01-20-2012, 01:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 05:32 AM by Kool Kat.)
(01-20-2012, 12:46 AM)Ashcloud Wrote: So to try and clear this up for myself.

Designers get medals not points.

H2H Testers get?

Hey Ashley: Smoke7

Funny you should ask? Idea2

I started a thread... over in the CS H2H sub forum to discuss that subject and other related ones! Yikes

You can access and participate in the H2H Awards thread HERE.

See you over there shortly!

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-21-2012, 02:32 AM,
I agree with HSL's comment earlier - Huib should just get the highest design medal straight away.

As for the the large scenarios, perhaps tests can be done before the scenario gets put into the H2H section and as soon as the required amount have been done the scenario can be put in the system and all the tests can then be reported?
Send this user an email
01-21-2012, 02:46 AM,
(01-21-2012, 02:32 AM)Ashcloud Wrote: I agree with HSL's comment earlier - Huib should just get the highest design medal straight away.

As for the the large scenarios, perhaps tests can be done before the scenario gets put into the H2H section and as soon as the required amount have been done the scenario can be put in the system and all the tests can then be reported?

Thanks LOL. There a few more designers that deserve. But I actually have had a Blitz Achievement medal already in 2007 for the design work.
Today I got my second bronze H2H medal... that was probably a duplicate.

I have been pondering about submitting an SM9 scn to H2H, but I think it will take too long. I asked Mike if he has time for a test run and hopefully that will give enough info to release it.
01-22-2012, 12:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2012, 12:06 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
Hello All,

I think this was a case of one individual creating a scenario, playing that scenario, uploading the scenario information (you actually do not have to link the scenario files for the scenario to show up in the data base), collecting ladder points and moving on to the next "scenario" to do it again.

The current system has worked perfectly save for this one exception.

There is enough self policing of CS that if someone did it again it would be exposed very quickly.

No need to create a bunch of rules and regulations.

I would ask however that Scenario SM 6, SM 7, SM 8, SM 9 and SM 10 be added to the three data bases. I know I have helped on a a fair share of SM 10 scenarios and had to report them as SM 5.

Thanx!

Hawk