• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Arctic Front: Bitter Kuuterselka
01-15-2012, 01:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM by Crossroads.)
a_Arrow  Arctic Front: Bitter Kuuterselka
THIS SCENARIO HAS NOW BEEN RELEASED TO BLITZ SCENARIO DATABASE

Get it here: https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Camp...6&ladder=2

--

This is an upgraded version of my vanilla EF Kuuterselka 2.0 scenario to include the new units the LWM has available, resulting in a more realistic OOB than what vanilla EF allows for. All in all, a completely different beast now, and a vastly improved one, given the map is redesigned to cover a larger area too, victory locations are completely redone, etc.

Original EF2 scenario introduction: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...kuuterselk
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2012, 07:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM by Crossroads.)
RELEASED: ** Bitter Kuuterselka EF:FB
[Image: kuuterselka-1.jpg]
Scenario Picture: Russian officers study a destroyed Finnish Stu-40 at the fields outside Kuuterselka village.

MAP; Scenario Location:

Spoiler Expand

[Image: jtcsscenarioplan.jpg]
Map of Karelian Isthmus, North of Leningrad.
The Karelian Isthmus Trilogy
14 June 1944 **Bitter Kuuterselka (1)
20 June 1944 **Fury at Viborg Bay 3x3 team game sectors marked with (2) (3) and (4)
4 July 1944 **Across River Vuoksi (5)

MAP; Situation map:

Spoiler Expand
[Image: kuuterselka44.jpg]

Map of the area, from: Sodan taisteluja 2; Jatkosota, by A. Raunio and Y. Kilin, with archive access to both sides.

The Soviet plan for the Kuuteselka breakthrough.

Historically, the left pincer, initiated by the 286.D and completed by the 2nd Mobile Group, penetrating into the rear area of Cavalry Bde (Rv.Pr) proved to be decisive in compromising the whole Finnish frontline at the area. Advance plans towards North were stopped by counter attacks and by reinforcements to area.

Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-22-2012, 03:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013, 01:59 AM by Crossroads.)
RELEASED: ** Bitter Kuuterselka EF:FB
** Bitter Kuuterselkä EF:FB

Complexity: 9
Turns: 30
Modified complexity: 9 * 30 = 270
Size modifier: 6

First side: Allied

Visibility: 8
Ground: Normal

Allied Air 12; Ammo 75; Smoke 20
Axis Air 9; Ammo 70; Smoke 10
AI Allied 75; Axis 35

Major Loss 1000; Minor Loss 1500; Minor Win 2000; Major Win 2500
June 14, 1944

[Karelian Isthmus, 50 km NW from Leningrad, Finland.] [H2H] [HIS] [GD] [ALL: N VV: N AF]
Following the June 6th D-Day landings at Normandy, the Western Allies wait upon Stalin to fulfil his promise of a major operation against the Germans on the Eastern front. Instead, while ensuring the Normandy landings would gain momentum, Stalin decides to solve his unfinished business with Finland. All other campaigns on hold, while waiting to commence Operation Bagration later in June, he orders the Leningrad Front to destroy the Finnish Army and to advance into Southern Finland to effectively push her out of the war. Leningrad Front Commander Lieutenant General Alfyorov, 450 000 men, 800 tanks and assault guns, 10 000 artillery pieces and 1 600 combat aircraft set out to fullfil his orders. On Finnish side, the build up is noticed, but it is assumed this would be another push towards the German Group North at Narwa.

On June 10th, after a full day of continuous artillery barrage, the Red Army cuts through the Finnish forward line in full force. The shell-shocked defenders quickly retreat towards the fortified Vammelsuu-Taipale (VT) main defence line.

Weighing his options, on June 13, Lieutenant General Alfyorov orders the fresh 109th Army Corps to break out through a weakly defended sector of the VT Line, at Kuuterselkä, an area the Finns considered not suitable for large scale armoured operations due to its scarce and narrow road network.

109th Army Corps plan: to break out simultaneously via the Sahakyla and Kuuterselka sectors, encircling and destroying the Finnish forces in the west of the area, while having a strong Northern pincer continuing straigh up towards city of Viborg.

On the early morning of June 14, the plan is on.

Having realised this is the real thing, the Finns gather the available reserves to save the VT Line, and as they fear, the whole front. Still, perhaps not realising the full size of the enemy formations, elements of Major General Lagus' Armoured Division are ordered to attack hard 'to retake any ground lost'. Soon realising this is a damage limitation mission at best, the men will long remember the battle as 'Bitter Kuuterselka'.

Picture: June 15, 1944: Red Army officers study a disabled Finnish Stu-40 in the fields of Kuuterselka village

[** Requires players to install East Front: Forgotten Battles Mod version 1.34 or newer **]

[Scandinavian Terrain sub mod recommended to be enabled when playing this scenario.]
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-27-2012, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: New scenario: ** Bitter Kuuterselka LWM 1.1
I would again like to ask for your feedback Salute

** Bitter Kuuterselkä LWM 1.2

1. Scenario Feedback
Objective: Balanced and fun-to-play recreation for JTCS for battle of Kuuterselkä on June 14. 1944, representing the Leningrad Front's 109th Army Corps' decisive breakthrough through the fortified Vammelsuu-Taipale (VT) -line.

See the map in the previous post.

Map
Objective: historical, accurate map. Contemporary maps from late 1930's are available digitally here: http://www.karjalankartat.fi/ Just switch to English and type Liikola into search box, and double-click the "Liikola, LIIKOLA" result. Switching to 1:100 000 recommended.

- While the map should be pretty accurate, do you have any comments game playing wise?
- Exit hexes are on all major roads and railway lines on purpose, to simulate the surprise of a major Red Army attack on this sector. Taken by a surprose, how do you defend all directions, with the scarce amount of troops available?

OOB
Objective: Historical OOBs, with Red Army having 'only' some 65% of their real strength to make this more balanced.

- Finns are stretched thin on purpose, to model the scarce resources and need to avoid unnecessary losses. Allowing any larger detachment to be encircled and destroyed should spell big problems. Still, are they stretched too thin? Perhaps a small reinforcement from the West should be in order, to protect the exit hex there. Company, or two?
- Should I replace the vanilla StuGs with a bit beefed up new platoons, with hard attack values on short distances similar to PzKpfw IV H?

- Red Army Mobile Group 1 that historically made the decisive pincer is modeled here as well. Very strong, but arrives a bit late so it needs a clear route of advance to have a chance to perhaps drive towards an exit hex, or to attack a remaining major objective. It is modeled here to remind the players of the decisive advantage the 109th AC had in the sector.

- What would you like to have changed?

Victory Locations, Exit Hexes
Objective: Large enough objectives to encourage direct action and to make them important despite of large scenario size. Placed on what I considered important locations, and also accurate to reflect the actual battle results.

- Again, the exit hexes everywhere while perhaps not accessible for Allied player should stress the Axis player to secure them with small forces instead of moving everyone to major objective hexes.

- Comments?

Length
Objective: Short enough to force Allied player to come out in force, long enough for Axis player to be punished hard for any reckless actions. As with Vuoksi scenario, given the difference in size of the respective force pools, it is important to get this spot on.

- With its earlier version it was 22 turns. But that was perhaps a bit too short. I am sure 25 turns feels like an eternity from Axis point of view, so my question is: is it too long now?
- Instead of shortening the scenario, how about some reinforcements to Finns from the west? Your comments?

Balance
- What would you like to see changed?

Fun
- What was fun? What was not?

- Should I take the extra effort to convert this into a 2 x 2 team game. First player for Kuuterselkä sector, other player for Sahakylä sector? I'm not quite sure it works well though, especially for the Allied side given the 2nd Mobile Group's late and one sided entry into battle.

Scenario description

- Did it set the scene properly? Did it give both sides enough information for a proper battle plan?
- A more detailed scenario description available in the previous post. Better, or too exhaustive?

Other comments
- Feel free to add any observations for the good, bad and outright ugly of this scenario!

2. H2H Score

On scale of 0-10, how would you rate the scenario, using H2H criteria:

- Balance [0-10]
- Enjoyment [0-10]
- Briefings [0-10]

From H2H message board:
A scenario is scored in three categories, Balance, Enjoyment and Briefings. The score a scenario achieves is an average of these three scores using this formula: (balance*1.6)+(enjoyment*1.2)+(briefings*0.2)/3

From the above formula the 'Balance' score is by far the most important and you should take into account your own performance when making your judgement of this. 'Enjoyment' is self explanatory and 'Briefings' is the least important score. If the Briefing was full and informative you should always score it highly (8 or greater).

--

Ta! Salute
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-05-2013, 11:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013, 11:44 PM by Death~Dealer.)
Bitter Kuuterselkä 2.0

SCENARIO FEEDBACK
This battle is another excellent design from Battle Cat that captures the essence of the Finns desperately trying to check the Soviet offensive into the Karelian Isthmus during the Continuation War. The scenario is slightly in favor of the Soviets. Ideas to achieve balance will be discussed below.

MAP
I really enjoy playing on historical maps, they rarely lack detail and the terrain formations usually ‘make sense.’ On this map, combat between forces is not the only challenge for the players, but also route selection- a necessary consideration to achieve victory. Control and destruction of bridges must be managed by the Finns as the Soviets surge forward to secure these vital crossings. Set victory locations and their values were appropriate for gameplay. However, an adjustment should be made to one of the exit hexes. The southwest exit hex near Neuvola (at 0,47) should be removed because it offers a quick solution for the Soviet player to achieve victory. There are not enough Finns in the area (or enough Finns that could respond to this area in time) to stop massed Soviet infantry from flanking the main defense line and exiting here in great numbers relatively quickly.

OOB
The order of battle features plenty of interesting forces on both sides with enough variation to keep both players interested in the battle. In my opinion, most of the changes need to be made here to achieve PBEM game balance. To achieve balance, I suggest three changes to the Finn’s defense force:
1) The Stu-40 assault guns are not powerful enough to have an impact on Soviet armor in their current numbers. Maybe add two more Stu-40 platoons or a platoon of captured T-34/85s.
2) The Finns have a serious lack of artillery support. I would recommend adding at least 2-3 platoons of light artillery (maybe some captured 76mm Field Guns from the Soviets).
3) Release must be scheduled for three rifle companies located near the northeast section of the map. Some of the platoons were within 500 meters of the fighting and could not lift a finger to help their desperate compatriots.

LENGTH
The length of the battle was also appropriate, 25 turns. As it stands now, there is barely enough time to break through the Finnish line at Kuuterselka to exit any Soviet units off the north end of the map. If the scenario is shortened any more then I believe these northern exit hexes will become completely inconsequential.

FUN
Hell yeah this was a fun battle! It would be a crime for any serious CS gamer to not download and play Battle Kat’s MOD. This battle plays perfectly as a one-on-one PBEM and is not really large enough for teamplay.

SCENARIO DESCRIPTION
Battle Cat’s description is long…but good and worth the read. It accurately describes the current situation in detail for the players, uses a storybook method to keep it interesting, and demonstrates his passion for revealing the sometimes forgotten Continuation War. I think that some readers prefer short battle briefs while others prefer a more elaborate story. I prefer the story- it adds life to the scenario.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
H2H SCORE

- Balance 7 (slightly pro-Allies)
- Enjoyment 9 (extremely fun)
- Briefings 8 (entertaining but slightly long)

From H2H message board:
A scenario is scored in three categories, Balance, Enjoyment and Briefings. The score a scenario achieves is an average of these three scores using this formula: (balance*1.6)+(enjoyment*1.2)+(briefings*0.2)/3

Total for this scenario= 8.0 (RD_DeathDealer’s assessment)

[Image: sovietsinfinland.jpg]

[Image: finland18.jpg]
01-06-2013, 01:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013, 02:40 AM by Crossroads.)
Thanks for your thorough analysis - appreciated!

Your feedback confirms my concerns of the exit hex at 0,47. But I can't really remove it as that is the key road that led to the collapse of the whole VT line, as basically you repeated the historical end result here. Of course, for scenario balance this is not acceptable. My idea is to give both sides a 50/50 shot for keeping the door there shut / having it forced open.

We'd need to find another solution... Maybe reinforcements from the Cavalry Bde who are responsible of the neighboring sector? Two companies, with a couple of ATGs and mortar units for back up?

I could also provide the scenario with the new upgraded Stu-40s now available in LWM/EF:FB 1.3, with coy leaders in Stu-40s as well. That should provide the Finnish armour with a bit more punch.

III / 53rd Inf Rgt being fixed. Yes, that is a fair comment. However they were manning the VT line in their sector, and could hardly leave it undefended. I could perhaps have 50% of them available to this sector, with the rest remaining there to leave a skeleton force to guard the line. Good call!

As for artillery, that's what was available... Maybe a bit better supply level? It is down to 70% at the moment, I could upgrade it to 75%. These units were really not that badly supplied, it was the artillery that lacked shells. Pity artillery does not have a separate supply factor, as we only have the one general supply for everything.

Let's see what others have to report as well!

If you all could again be kind enough to wait a bit so I upgrade the scenario, then I will upload it and it will be possible to register results.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-01-2013, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013, 01:24 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: New version out: ** Bitter Kuuterselka LWM 1.3 (a2)
This one has proved to be a difficult one to balance...

Here's a new version, with lots of changes compared to 1.1. There was a 1.3 (a1) as well, that was tested between myself and Huib, resulting in a need for even more changes.

Here're the changes compared to 1.1:

- Map extended towards West for six hexes. It feels much better balanced now, covering pretty much the whole are pictured in the the map from a book of mine seen in an earlier post. Like it a lot better, more terrain to cover, more terrain to maneuver!
- Victory locations together with their values see significant changes, aiming for Axis player to have better chances to a Major result too.
- Southwest exit hex still included, but I feel it is much harder to reach now by the Soviet player.
- 30 turns (was 25)
- Axis side sees new units in the Southwest area of the map, as roughly two Bn worth of elements of Cavalry Bde (map: Rv.Pr.) are now included as in accordance to how the nearest units historically were located.
- Also all units of III / 53rd become unfixed, apart from their MG Coy who stays to guard the line
- Allied side sees a much earlier release of the 2nd Mobile Group.
- A couple of more Air Missions added to both sides

--

** Bitter Kuuterselkä LWM 1.3 (a2)

Complexity: 9
Turns: 30
Modified complexity: 9 * 30 = 270
Size modifier: 6

First side Allied

Visibility 8

Allied Air 12; Ammo 80; Smoke 20
Axis Air 7; Ammo 70; Smoke 10
AI Allied 75; Axis 35

Major Loss 1000; Minor Loss 1500; Minor Win 2000; Major Win 2500

--

Ashcloud and myself will start a mirrored game as a next step. I will upload this to Blitz scenario Db only after I am happy about the balance, which might take a while.

As for the fun factor, I believe that has continuously been pretty good so if anyone wants to join the Testing Bde they are more than welcomed to do so! Helmet Smile

PS The scenario file also includes the fixed platoon05 files, make sure to upgrade to them, as they contain the fixed Stu-40 values.

PPS As the previous 1.1. version was included in the EF:FB download, it is included in the JSGME version control as well. Make sure to drop the files to both East Front folders, to one under /John Tiller... and to one under /John Tiller /MODS/EF- EFFB.../ Or, to do it by the book: disable EF:FB, drop the files to .../MODS/.../East Front, enable again.

[EDIT: CONTENT REMOVED. NOW AVAILABLE IN THE SCENARIO DATABASE]
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-18-2013, 10:51 PM,
Scenario Feedback for ** Bitter Kuuterselkä LWM 1.2

Map
The map I found to be very well laid out and believable which is usual for the thunder in the north games you can tell a lot of time has gone into creating them.

A few too many exit hexes to defend but I understand that is the point of the scenario, a desperate defense against overwhelming odds on many axis of advance. Luckily the terrain and defense lines help the defender and the game should certainly be played with EA on. I would agree with the previous suggestion about losing the southern most exit and believe this has been addressed in a later version.

OOB
I found both OOB very good and detailed personally I would change very little in this section, Finnish reinforcements can give enough strength to hold the later defense line if the Russians can be held back long enough in the early stages of the game. Finns are really lacking in artillery assets early in the game when they are needed most.

Victory Locations, Exit Hexes
Locations of victory hexes made sense they were at critical villages and road junctions and choke points forcing the attacker into channels of attack keeping up the pace and the defender to think hard about what to defend and what to let go.

Length
As we didn't reach the end it is very hard to say, both games were essentially over on turn 15 and we played on to turn 17 before my opponent admitted defeat in both games.

Balance
The fixed Finnish forces holding the flank need to be incorporated into the battle some how releasing them about half way through the battle would make a big difference to the defense.

Fun
Was great fun to play from both sides especially as a mirror game it gave an incite into the problems both sides faced tactically.

I think it would still be better and single play but could be 2 x 2 or even 2 x 1 having a split Russian command would certainly help a unified Finnish one.

Scenario description
Good but long, sets the scene well and gives lots of detail on the historical battle I wouldn't want to see much more added but conversely wouldn't cut it down either.

Other comments
Initially it can be quite depressing as the Axis seeing the waves of Russians moving towards you but once you realize you just need to slow them not stop them early on and don't have to fight where you stand but save some of your troops for later on it becomes quite liberating using hit and run tactics, there are enough bunkers and trenches that if you do get caught it will take the Russians time and resources to whittle you down.

2. H2H Score

- Balance 8 (was able to major win as both sides but slightly pro allied)
- Enjoyment 9 (great fun game)
- Briefings 9 (detailed and extensive)

Total for this scenario= 8.5 (Otto von Blotto’s assessment)
02-19-2013, 03:00 AM,
Thanks, I really appreciate your comments regarding the scenario. The fact you got a major win for both sides and still find this unbalanced summaries my feelings too.

Ashley and myself are slugging it out with a revised version, so let us see if it feels more balanced after the changes!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-12-2013, 01:46 AM,
RE: RELEASED: ** Bitter Kuuterselka EF:FB
It is out now! Hooray8
Visit us at CSLegion.com