• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Play Sorrow on Saipan - fantastic fun
01-06-2012, 07:14 AM,
Play Sorrow on Saipan - fantastic fun
I just completed a test game and report for Sorrow on Saipan in the H2H section and had an absolute blast. The best Rising Sun scenario I think I have ever played. The Marines have to storm up Hill 500 and over-run the Japanese that are well entrenched in bunkers and caves, the Naval Arty helps. A great map with great fortifications. I got a Major Victory as the Americans and am looking forward to try and defend as the Japanese. Highly recommended.

https://www.theblitz.club/h2h_production...io&sid=320
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2012, 08:18 PM,
RE: Play Sorrow on Saipan - fantastic fun
Thanks Ashley! cheers

I appreciate your comments here and in your H2H report! Write

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM,
(01-06-2012, 08:18 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: Thanks Ashley! cheers

I appreciate your comments here and in your H2H report! Write

It was my pleasure, you designed a fantastic scenario.
Send this user an email
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM,
Gents: Smoke7

In my Rising Sun scenario - "Sorrow on Saipan" - the battle centers around control of Hill 500 on the island of Saipan.

Here is what all the "fuss" was about... Hill 500. This photo was taken in 1944 and I believe from a reconnaissance aircraft.

You can clearly see the roadway that runs along the crest of the ridge... severe elevation changes... coastal road...and the close proximity of Hill 500 to the Pacific Ocean.

[Image: fd569dcc9dSaipan%20Hill%20500.jpg]
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-07-2012, 05:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012, 05:35 AM by Huib Versloot.)
(01-06-2012, 09:22 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents: Smoke7

In my Rising Sun scenario - "Sorrow on Saipan" - the battle centers around control of Hill 500 on the island of Saipan.

Here is what all the "fuss" was about... Hill 500. This photo was taken in 1944 and I believe from a reconnaissance aircraft.

You can clearly see the roadway that runs along the crest of the ridge... severe elevation changes... coastal road...and the close proximity of Hill 500 to the Pacific Ocean.

[Image: fd569dcc9dSaipan%20Hill%20500.jpg]

Nice work.
I downloaded the scenario, but it looks like the elevations need some work if the hill is 515 metres and the sea is... sea level (= 0 metres). In the scenario the hill is only 140 M. The lowest level being 0 and the highest 515
is a difference of 515. 515/12 = 41. So if you give the map a Delta of 41 and a base level of 0, the 12 elevation levels available are sufficient.
There is also a workaround that gives you more than 12 elevation levels, that would enable you to lower the delta setting, but that is hard to implement on an existing map and easier on an empty map where you can start with the highest elevation levels before anything else.
It would also be nice if the compass was added in the map file. North doesn't seem to be "up". If I measure the distance to the coast it looks like West is "up".
From what I read the scn is already highly rated in playability terms, but most of the times getting the map as close to the real thing as you can get will make it even better.

Huib
01-07-2012, 07:09 AM,
Thanks for the compliment on my scenario design and feedback on the elevations Huib! cheers

Several test players appreciated the "slogging up the hill" experience... and felt the terrain captured that aspect rather well!

I'm real excited about my Rising Sun scenario... and look forward... to fine tuning the balance... in the next test versions.
Send this user an email
01-07-2012, 07:46 AM,
(01-07-2012, 07:09 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Thanks for the compliment on my scenario design and feedback on the elevations Huib! cheers

Several test players appreciated the "slogging up the hill" experience... and felt the terrain captured that aspect rather well!

I'm real excited about my Rising Sun scenario... and look forward... to fine tuning the balance... in the next test versions.

For playabilty, changing elevations, won't make very much difference I think, but I always try to enocurage designers to design in the scale of the game as much as possible. Probably visibility would improve from and to the hill with a greater delta (easier to look over the trees in the hexes in front of you).

Saipan looks really interesting in Google Earth, it might be worthwhile to map the entire island sometime. It fits on a 72x96 hex map. Unfortunately my historical knowledge of the battles in the Pacific is rather limited so I wouldn't know if there would be any interest in such a map for additional scenarios.

Huib
01-07-2012, 09:12 AM,
(01-07-2012, 07:46 AM)Huib Versloot Wrote: For playabilty, changing elevations, won't make very much difference I think, but I always try to enocurage designers to design in the scale of the game as much as possible. Probably visibility would improve from and to the hill with a greater delta (easier to look over the trees in the hexes in front of you).

Herr Huib,

Now you are talking my language! Smoke8

Can you let Mike know how to change the delta (me too, it's been so long I forgot)? Dont Know
I found that the look of the map and the feel of the game would be effected if he tried to add elevations. Plus, it would raise the mountain and give it a feel that resembles the picture? Look

cheers

HSL
01-07-2012, 08:01 PM,
(01-07-2012, 09:12 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Can you let Mike know how to change the delta (me too, it's been so long I forgot)? Dont Know
I found that the look of the map and the feel of the game would be effected if he tried to add elevations. Plus, it would raise the mountain and give it a feel that resembles the picture? Look

cheers

HSL

It can be found in the map editor under "values" and so does the compass.

[Image: saipan.jpg]

In the example I changed the height of "hill 500" to 500 metres by changing the delta to 42 and adding some elevations (only 5 minutes work). Note that with a delta of 42 a two step elevation (=84 m height difference ) might not be traversable for vehicles, so where there was the unpaved road in this map I made sure there are only one step elevations.
Attached the map example in case it is useful. I renamed it to MW_Saipan_500 so it won't overwrite the original.

Huib

.zip   MW_Saipan_500.zip (Size: 2.4 KB / Downloads: 2)
01-07-2012, 09:49 PM,
Huib: Smoke7

Your "5 minutes of work" has greatly improved both the elevations and terrain in my "Sorrow on Saipan" scenario! Dig

Many thanks sir! :respect2:

An example of true collaboration in scenario development and design among Blitz players!

I look forward to utilizing this "new and improved" map in the next test version of my scenario!

It really is a New Year? Cheers3
Send this user an email