• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

486 error when trying to run Korean War
12-31-2011, 06:29 AM,
RE: 486 error when trying to run Korean War
Affirmative the editors, negative the scenarios.
You will recall problems I had earlier which seemed to go away, but this is clearly not the case. I intend to uninstall JTCS (having first moved my stash of "unfinished symphonies" in RS and WF to a little plugin thingy) I think I can quarantine my MW, but will move all my stuff out first. I have kept the KW download in a desktop folder. Does that make sense to you?
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2011, 06:42 AM,
Hi Rod, let me know how it works out, I know mods are funny about being in the correct order, but I assume yours was correctly under Matrix Games and such?

Mike
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-31-2011, 07:36 AM,
I think that is the problem. As far as I can see, my JTCS exists only in a folder on the desktop. The J'T'C'S' folder under Program Fies only contains the uninstall thing, nothing else.
12-31-2011, 09:43 PM,
Interestingly, when I created a shortcut of rising sun.exe into desktop, the game does not start but provides an error. It is a different error, though, it is complaining about a missing dll.

When I start the game from the folder itself, it runs like a charm.

I installed the game via first making a parallel copy of my vanilla Rising Sun folder, then copied the contents of the mod into that folder, overwriting any vanilla files present.

Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-31-2011, 11:47 PM,
(12-31-2011, 09:43 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: Interestingly, when I created a shortcut of rising sun.exe into desktop, the game does not start but provides an error. It is a different error, though, it is complaining about a missing dll.

When I start the game from the folder itself, it runs like a charm.

I installed the game via first making a parallel copy of my vanilla Rising Sun folder, then copied the contents of the mod into that folder, overwriting any vanilla files present.

That works, but then you have the added clutter of the Rising Sun scenarios and such!! I thought when I tested the download, I just unzipped it into Matrix Games, and it made it's own folder correctly? I did it however under another Matrix in another harddrive, and when trying to run it got the 486 error!! It only likes being put in the original Matrix Games\John Tillers Campaign Series\ structure!!! Another way is to make a folder on your hard drive called unzips, unzip it into there, make sure the folder is not a double or something, then drag n' drop the whole folder into \John tillers Campaign Series so it will be Matrix Games\John Tillers Campaign Series\Korean War. Should work like a charm then. Not sure how a dll would be missing, since the download was made off my original game I'm using, I did then delete a bunch of files you guys don't need, I guess it could be possible something got tossed? Are most people finding it to work okay? There have been 30 people download the Korean War and 10 of the other, wish I knew how each made out!! Maybe set the folder to view by type, so all the dll files will be together, and tell me what you have? Hope some of this is useful!!

Mike
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

01-01-2012, 03:12 AM,
Mike,

I originally downloaded to KW zip into my JTCS Rising sun folder and unzipped it. From there I tried to run the game thru RS but no go. When I looked in RS folder I saw another folder marked Korean War. So I moved that folder out of RS and into the JTCS campaign folder. From there I did a shotcut on my desktop to the RS.exe in the KW folder. Everything works fine!
When I click on the shortcut I get a message asking me to run the file which I do. After that I get the matrix screen, then the main menu of the game. So far no problems other than no battle generator but I believe in your initial post you said the generator doesn't work but the rest you have there is one great mod!!

Thanks

Ivan the Big:smoke:
01-01-2012, 01:13 PM,
I believe the rs.exe gets you the editor and the rising sun.exe gets you the game.
01-01-2012, 02:43 PM,
(01-01-2012, 01:13 PM)junk2drive Wrote: I believe the rs.exe gets you the editor and the rising sun.exe gets you the game.

Try this...most unusual when KKR comes up with a possible answer. May not happen again in our lifetime.
I have been having problems for a while with JTCS. I dumped it and reinstalled it, this time in Program Files rather than the Desktop. I had earlier installed Korea..claiming BTW the #1 download...and the editors worked fine, but couldn't do a game. That was using the supplied Korean War startup icon. I just now moved the files from the desktop to the JTCS/Matrix Games folder in Program Files. In the process, I lost the Korean War desktop startup icon. In the aether somewhere, I guess. So before I got the sleeping pill bottle and the whisky out I made a shortcut from the rising sun (sic) icon in the directory, put it on the desktop clicked it...editors worked. Held breath, tried to open a scenario to play...seemed to work fine. Set up a PBEM game (Chromite)... Beautiful map btw... everything went as it should.
Anyone seeking my further advice re computers, do so quickly before my accountant sets up the consultancy fee.
01-02-2012, 10:30 AM,
Rod, I'm proud of you man, no kidding, real glad you got it working, and thanks for the tip, probably others will need that as well!!

Mike
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

01-02-2012, 11:40 AM,
(01-02-2012, 10:30 AM)Warhorse Wrote: Rod, I'm proud of you man, no kidding, real glad you got it working, and thanks for the tip, probably others will need that as well!!

Mike
ROTFLMFAO cheers