• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scenarios for Korean War Mod
12-29-2011, 07:18 PM,
Scenarios for Korean War Mod
How about the Blitz organizing a scenario design contest for the Korean War Mod? Would there be any interest in that?
It's just an idea.
It might be a way to get some scenarios for this excellent game.

If there will be one I volunteer to contribute with a new scenario for KW as well.

Huib
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2011, 10:09 PM,
RE: Scenarios for Korean War Mod
That would be sweet! I just finished one with the first engagement at the Imjin River. I've been working all week updating the exe's and platoon files to add in version 1.04 standard, might not have all the new units in it, but think it will suffice. Ran into a big obstacle with the CCF, there was no Army structure in my original, not that anyone might use it, but felt it necessary, so I just got done doing that. Not sure what all units are necessary to add though, for all of them I did the 3 new engineer types and engineer trucks, CCF got crewed boats and pontoon bridges also. Don't want to hold off on this too long!! Any ideas, just let me know, will probably try to get this out by weekend, or early next week at the latest. When done, folks can either enter it in with included JSGME, or just overwrite the files. I would recommend for compatibility that everyone just overwrite, and don'y use what one doesn't like? Last check 24 folks have downloaded it, would be nice to have a circle of players, and get some scenario's made!! I thought last night the AI even tried a Human Wave attack (Banzai), heard the tail-end of the new bugle sound for it!! Night combat kicks butt!!

Mike

.jpg   imjin.jpg (Size: 387.31 KB / Downloads: 12)
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-29-2011, 10:30 PM,
I haven't downloaded the RS version KW yet. Is it compatible with the earlier version of KW? I should have some half finished work somewhere that I'd like to use.
Does it have 12 or 18 elevation levels? 18 is still not enough for Korea, but better than 12.
12-29-2011, 10:45 PM,
Hey Huib, unfortunately, it's not directly compatible with the first rendition, which was DG, HOWEVER, if you send me the files, I CAN convert them fairly easily. The map takes the longest, but still only an hour or so with that! I converted most if not all the scenarios from that edition, and the ones for the the new one that were done. So, if you do download it, and find the files, feel free to shoot them over, I don't mind!

This version, since it is using the current RS engine does, unfortunately only use 12 levels. Interestingly enough, one day a year or maybe a couple ago now, I was tinkering with a map, and extended the characters in numerical order of sequence for the levels, and did get some levels in the 20's, and did a negative value also! However, the BMP's only go to 12 (no big deal, have the new ones), but since the map coding is random each map for terrain and elevation, you can't always get that result! Also never tested it to see if the LOS and modifiers worked, interesting none-the-less though.

Mike
12-29-2011, 10:45 PM,
Great idea, would love to get more scenarios and play a against a few people.
Send this user an email
12-29-2011, 10:59 PM,
(12-29-2011, 10:45 PM)Warhorse Wrote: This version, since it is using the current RS engine does, unfortunately only use 12 levels. Interestingly enough, one day a year or maybe a couple ago now, I was tinkering with a map, and extended the characters in numerical order of sequence for the levels, and did get some levels in the 20's, and did a negative value also! However, the BMP's only go to 12 (no big deal, have the new ones), but since the map coding is random each map for terrain and elevation, you can't always get that result! Also never tested it to see if the LOS and modifiers worked, interesting none-the-less though.

Mike

Yes I know this workaround. A way to do it would be to make the highest sections of the map FIRST, using a certain number of elevation levels, 1-6 for example. When that is done you can do a "search and replace" in the map file with the proper characters, where level 1 then becomes 13, 2 becomes 14 etc. The lower levels (1-12) can be done afterwards using the map editor as normal.
LOS etc seems to work, I think we already tested that in MW, just before the 18 level map editor was programmed.

Huib
12-30-2011, 12:01 AM,
Ahh, so you are familiar with it, shoulda known, you ARE a map guy!!!

Mike
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-30-2011, 04:07 AM,
I'm outta time as far scenario design is concerned, unfortunately, but sure would like to see more scenarios added to this mod. Great work once again Mike et al! cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-30-2011, 09:38 AM,
Mike Hello....I trust you had a good Christmas.
Once again, let me congratulate and your offsiders on a beautiful and remarkable work.
I have started playing with some scen ideas and will have a go at the Commonwealth Brigade action at Kapyong in April' 51 and something out of the Iron Triangle in 1952. Hopefully more, but we need to balance priorities.
I particularly like the trouble you went to by including the smaller, perhaps largely forgotten, Allies, including my own county's forces, the Kiwis, Canada, the Dutch, Belgians (with a platoon from tiny Luxemburg), the French and Brits, the Turks and Greeks, Ethiopia and the Philippines*, Colombia and Thailand. Marvellous stuff, Mike.
I think there is a lot of scope for brigade/division size scenarios which IMO particularly suit our game. There was much night action, and prodigious levels on the UN side of fire support.... arty, air and NGS. The UN Allies were invariably outnumbered, often by significant factors. Much of the Korean combat was closeup, dirty, infantry work in the manner of WWI. Not too much in the way of massive tank formations sweeping over the plains, as I read the history. Nor, indeed, much in the way of plains in this rugged land.
As for the OOB, I greatly like it, as I believe in the KISS principle. The new engineer types would be good... bridging and construction for the big guys, minelayers for all. You might need to think about truck sizes and VPs. Noting the close combat against field fortifications, I think the flamethrower platoon is an essential. There is a US one in the MW files which should suffice.

Scenariomeister Huib's idea for a scenario contest is a great one. I would bet he is reading up on the Dutch involvement, even as I write this.

*A platoon commander in the 20th BCT and a hero at Hill Eerie in '52 was Lt Fidel Ramos, the highly regarded President of the Philippines in the 90s
12-30-2011, 10:07 AM,
Hi Rod, had a great Christmas, you too?! Glad you appreciate the mod, it is truly constructed as a tribute, I just hope it serves well, so far response is bettr than I expected! I was feeling the CS community was dwindling away... I actually am in the process of updating the game to 1.04 with the new units, very time consuming!! I was able to visit the Korean peninsula every of my 4 years in the US Marine Corps, very rugged country, not ideal for vehicles of any type!! Tanks were even used in an artillery role, and as armored bunkers to snipe enemy bunkers, not too much maneuvering there! Just constructed the whole doggone upper Army echelon for the CCF, not that many folks will use the Army level, but it's there to use! Hope to get it out soon, is okay to make scenario's in the meantime though, not changing any existing platoon numbers, so it's all good! Well, back to editing!! Thanks again fellows, really appreciate the response!!!

Mike