• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Two more questions - no reference in the manual.
12-29-2011, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2011, 07:51 AM by burroughs.)
Two more questions - no reference in the manual.
Greetings fellow players again.

As stated above I failed to trace those two things in further detail in manuals both for the basic game system and the "Modern Campaigns" series in particular.

1. I had just ha a deception unit returned to an active mobile status and have beef fiddling with the idea of deploying that again right away, but it's 3 o'clock pm., broad daylight so perhaps it would be better to insert them at last light - truly the Soviet SpetsNaz mode - or even at night.Does it make any difference in terms of the way the game engine handles their detection probability?I presume the enemy is likely to be manning their mobile defense areas of resposibility not that much furter ahead.

2. If I have the reinforcements scheduled to appear at a certain turn, but I do not place them in the theater ( yes,I know that the interface is going to remind me of them being available for deployment with a pop-up message, but let's assume I am ignoring that and finish my turn... ), are they going to be lined up for that delayed deployment on forthcoming turns or are removed from the queue as the time passes? Is there any difference in regard to that issue between units scheduled to appear as reinforcements from the basic pool and those that are optional due to the strategies chose when available in the scenario?
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2011, 08:45 AM,
RE: Two more questions - no reference in the manual.
2. I don't think that you'll be able to advance your turn without deploying your arrived reinforcements...
12-29-2011, 09:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2011, 09:24 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
No and no. Darkness/Dusk/Dawn has no influence on the games detection routine when the "diceroll" for detection takes place at the start of the enemy players turn (I don´t know whether the games makes a single roll if a unit is eligible for detection or makes several if more than one enemy unit is within detection range). As for reinforcements, you can deploy them whenever you like, but if you bring them on during a night turn (even if you don´t move them) they will incur fatigue. This is very useful to delay a paradrop in order for it to coincide with the rest of your forces (some might consider this gamey though, since this fine-tuning of a units arrival on a turn by turn basis, especially if invading amphibiously or paradropping, is somewhat more flexible than in reality)
Send this user an email
12-29-2011, 09:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2011, 09:25 AM by Kuriltai.)
Dragoon beat me to the draw...Grin...and good point about the Fatigue.

Quote:I don't think that you'll be able to advance your turn without deploying your arrived reinforcements...

Actually you can.
When you try to advance the turn,the reinforcement dialog opens.
Simply klik "cancel"

I found this out in a D85 team game.My teammates wanted to save all the Soviet Airborne reinforcements for a mass drop.
12-29-2011, 06:16 PM,
(some might consider this gamey though, since this fine-tuning of a units arrival on a turn by turn basis, especially if invading amphibiously or paradropping, is somewhat more flexible than in reality)
[/quote]

Indeed I though to myself and still deem that practice to be a gamey one; it's like the planes with paratroopers onboard were circling in the orbit much the CAS aircraft style or were waiting at the airstrips with their engines on and then , once the call for has been made,were deploying fast as choppers. In modern era with all the efficiency of anti-aircraft weaponry, guided SAMs and SSMs, then fastmovers appearing right from nowhere on their routine patrols or combat sweeps - quite an unthinkable situation. Actually I once read a book about the Soviet VDV in which the author described a field exercise back in the late '70s when for the last time in their history a full airborne division was air dropped with all their organic equipment and additional support - each observer who participated claimed that in a real combat situation it would be a sheer disaster on a greater scale than "a bridge too far" and that was when the shift from deployment by planes to air mobility was decided on for good as far as I can remember.
12-29-2011, 07:41 PM,
I think delaying a drop is ok IF you decide to delay when the drop is planned and perhaps send an email with a GT number noted to the otherside.

So you can when planning where a drop is to be made decide it will be delayed 5 turns but you can not on the turn of arrival decide you do not like the look of things and delay that would be gamey.

I guess you could agree a 5 turn further delay as IIRC 1st Airbourne loaded up at least 3 times but were cancelled due to the speed of the allied advance. Again send an email confirming a new turn.
12-30-2011, 03:47 AM,
As for the airdrop delays being gamey, there's also the matter of the transport fleet. If the same aircraft are being used to transport each wave, then delaying one wave for a later mass wave may truly be unrealistic and gamey.