• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

RS: Sorrow on Saipan - Note to Test Players
12-29-2011, 12:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2011, 06:27 AM by Kool Kat.)
RS: Sorrow on Saipan - Note to Test Players
Gents: :smoke:

Folks who are play testing my Rising Sun scenario - "Sorrow on Saipan" - please note the following testing tips:

* Utilize the "Rotate map" function found in the game menu. It is useful to keep it in the default setting when playing as the Japanese... and to "rotate" the map when playing as the Americans. It is the only way to appreciate, and view the varied terrain hex contours and elevations.

* Japanese player needs to utilize unorthodox tactics as the defender. Try to keep majority of troops out of the LOS / LOF of the advancing American Marines for as long as possible - to avoid the devastating 14 inch guns (off board artillery) of the supporting battleships - the Tennessee and California. Look for opportunities to attack, disrupt, and ambush - employ an "aggressive" defense. Understand that a delay of 1-2 turns in the American time table can be as adventitious as an unit strength reduction... because of the short scenario time length and the American's need to capture all Hill 500 VP's to secure a Major Allied Victory. Also note that the Japanese side is more challenging and difficult to play successfully.

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2011, 05:28 AM,
RE: RS: Sorrow on Saipan - Note to Test Players
I do look forward to being the Americans in my mirror test.
I'd like to see the Japanese employ those tactics and be able to win. :smoke:Whip

cheers

HSL
12-29-2011, 05:47 AM,
A detail correction, perhaps minor. The main battery of USSs Tennessee and California was 12 14" guns, not 16".
Source: Friedman NL U.S. Battleships Naval Institute Press 1985
12-29-2011, 05:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2011, 06:01 AM by Kool Kat.)
(12-29-2011, 05:28 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: I do look forward to being the Americans in my mirror test.
I'd like to see the Japanese employ those tactics and be able to win. :smoke:Whip

cheers

HSL

Me too? :chin:

Let's wait and see? :eek1: ;)

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-29-2011, 08:13 AM,
(12-29-2011, 05:47 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: A detail correction, perhaps minor. The main battery of USSs Tennessee and California was 12 14" guns, not 16".

16" are in the arsenal.
I think that is one thing that will need to be fixed?

Nice catch Rod!

cheers

HSL
12-29-2011, 12:06 PM,
(12-29-2011, 08:13 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 05:47 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: A detail correction, perhaps minor. The main battery of USSs Tennessee and California was 12 14" guns, not 16".

16" are in the arsenal.
I think that is one thing that will need to be fixed?

Nice catch Rod!

cheers

HSL

Duly noted gents. It will be corrected in the next version.

Send this user an email
01-02-2012, 10:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM by Kool Kat.)
Gents: :smoke:

In my Rising Sun scenario - "Sorrow on Saipan" - the battle centers around control of Hill 500
on the island of Saipan.

Here is what all the "fuss" was about... Hill 500. This photo was taken in 1944 and I believe from
a reconnaissance aircraft.

You can clearly see the roadway that runs along the crest of the ridge... severe elevation changes... coastal road...and the close proximity of Hill 500 to the Pacific Ocean.

[Image: fd569dcc9dSaipan%20Hill%20500.jpg]
Send this user an email