• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Computer crash #$%@&!!! New computer suggestions welcomed
12-14-2011, 12:38 PM,
Computer crash #$%@&!!! New computer suggestions welcomed
HAL crashed tonight. Am taking it to PC repair to see if some things can be salvaged. It is 4 years old. Would like to ask opponants to hold on as I will return.

Any suggestions welcomed. I download music, play JTCS, games from Total War series, & surf net.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2011, 12:58 PM,
RE: Computer crash #$%@&!!! New computer suggestions welcomed
(12-14-2011, 12:38 PM)Big Dawg Wrote: HAL crashed tonight. Am taking it to PC repair to see if some things can be salvaged. It is 4 years old. Would like to ask opponants to hold on as I will return.

Any suggestions welcomed. I download music, play JTCS, games from Total War series, & surf net.

Thanks!

I bought a HP Pavilion p6653w PC several months ago for under $500 and have been nothing but pleased (does not include monitor). Runs everything I want (Total War, JTCS, WITP Admiral's edition, Diablo 2, & performs great with Photoshop). Has 5GB RAM, expandable to 16GB, 1T HD, CD & DVD burner, Windows 7 & a lot of software no one wants.

I see refurbished one's out there for $250 now, but I'm sure there is a bit newer model now available for around what I paid.

:)
Send this user an email
12-14-2011, 01:47 PM,
HPs are cheap now, but the downside is they're getting out of the market. Quality is questionable and future support might not be the greatest.

I'd go for a laptop, then plug it into a larger monitor for home. That's what I do. You don't need anything high end, like for graphics, video editing, etc., so you can do pretty well for under $500. I like Toshibas and I presently am using a Sony Vaio. It's incredible, but a high end model, so should be. Acer and Asus, believe it or not, are pretty well respected for lower end. Certainly worth a look, but I'd check out reviews of the model in your price range before I bought.

I've never bought a refurbished computer, but know some programmers who swear by it.

Cheapest place I know is tigerdirect.com. Really good service. I've bought a lot from them, both for personal use and for my company. Never had a problem. They usually come up anyway when doing a price search, like through pricegrabber.com or dealtime.com, so if you buy on the internet, you've probably come across them.

The good news is is the bang for the buck these days. Equivalent computers ten years ago ran in the thousands, now they're alomost giving them away. Certainly makes you think twice when it comes to paying for a repair.

What happened to the old one anyway? If the hard drive wasn't the problem you can remove it and put it in a USB case and use it as an external when you get a new computer. At least that way you can salvage files.

Lastly, buy as much RAM for the new one as it will accept. The cheapest single performance booster for any PC.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM,
I get 99% of my computer and supplies from Newegg and have had really good luck with them. http://www.newegg.com/Index.aspx?name=Home. They are located out of CA.

Be careful about what operating system your new computer will have since some of your regular programs/games that you like to play may not work on the new system.

I am not a fan of DELL. My 1st computer was a DELL and I'll never buy one again. I know several people who have had problems with them, and I know several people who love them and have never had any problems!

It is also cheaper and easier to upgrade a non-DELL computer such as video card, power supply, memory, etc., if you decide to, down the road.

Good Luck
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM,
I build my own PC's - find you can save about 70% by buying the bits separately and assembling them yourself, the killer is all ways the hard drive though
12-15-2011, 07:34 AM,
This is what I love about the club...... Great stand up guys.

I appreciate the advise. Great suggestions.

I am getting an external hard drive to store my kid's pics. My PC repair guy told me to bring it in and he will move what he can from one to the other. Mainly save pics.

I was playing Medevil Total War Lands to Conquor Mod as Russia and was kicking major butt before it crashed. Will have to start that over.

Thanks again!
12-15-2011, 08:27 AM,
Gfe&kk plwqartusrbnx zzdorrezeggplju bav blateribquuarr. Zembit plouywg........
Hope that helps Jack..remember computer advice from KKR is beyond value.
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM,
(12-15-2011, 08:27 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: Gfe&kk plwqartusrbnx zzdorrezeggplju bav blateribquuarr. Zembit plouywg........

Yes, you did notice I did not solicit your advice. I do value your opinion in other areas however.

New computer arrived. Am updating stuff as we speak. Do not have access to old email yet. Hope to download JTCS tomorrow. Hope you are well ol'e friend.
12-16-2011, 12:22 PM,
(12-16-2011, 11:40 AM)Big Dawg Wrote:
(12-15-2011, 08:27 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: Gfe&kk plwqartusrbnx zzdorrezeggplju bav blateribquuarr. Zembit plouywg........

Yes, you did notice I did not solicit your advice. I do value your opinion in other areas however.

New computer arrived. Am updating stuff as we speak. Do not have access to old email yet. Hope to download JTCS tomorrow. Hope you are well ol'e friend.

Getting by, Jack. Take care.
12-18-2011, 06:34 AM,
(12-15-2011, 07:34 AM)Big Dawg Wrote: This is what I love about the club...... Great stand up guys.

I appreciate the advise. Great suggestions.

I am getting an external hard drive to store my kid's pics. My PC repair guy told me to bring it in and he will move what he can from one to the other. Mainly save pics.

I was playing Medevil Total War Lands to Conquor Mod as Russia and was kicking major butt before it crashed. Will have to start that over.

Thanks again!

An external HD is, IMHO, an absolute MUST! My self, I have two, and copy everything of importance over to one and then copy it to the other. As cheap as HD's are these days, there is no reason not to.

I don't agree with the chap's comment about laptops, but that's your option. In my experience, while you can buy a laptop for about the same price as a desktop, it does not have near the upgradable capabilities of the desk top, for the same money.

I paid over $700 for my lap top. It sits in the case these days.

Desk tops rule! (Unless of course one travels a lot).

:)
Send this user an email