• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Op fire mysteries...
12-14-2011, 03:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2011, 05:31 AM by gabeeg.)
Op fire mysteries...
I know Op fire is kept a bit of a mystery to keep people for gaming the system, but I would like to see that mystery tweaked maybe just a tiny bit.
Here is an example from a current game:

1. Moved my HT into some woods, I right click on a woods hex and my HT won't move...odd...I right click again and it still will not move...but a MkIV appears in that hex (it was hidden initially by FOW)...the MkIV does not op fire.

2. Prior to moving my HT into the MkIV I had moved a T34 through this mkIV's LOS for 2-3 hexes at a distance of 6-7 hexes distance. MkIV would have had a nice side shot, and since I had not seen this MkIV yet in the game I am assuming its effectiveness is close to 100% (not sure if that has an effect on op fire).

3. After the discovery by bumping with my HT I figured my opponent might have set this MkIV to "hold fire" and was setting an ambush....so I took a risk and brought up a T-34 through the woods to the hex directly in front of the MkIV... still no op fire from the MkIV...and I blast it.

I asked my opponent if he had the MkIV set to "hold fire", he stated he did not.

Seems to me that, that something is a bit out of whack. Granted I have seen minor weirdness from op fire but usually within bounds...but this one seemed a bit extreme.
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2011, 08:44 PM,
RE: Op fire mysteries...
(12-14-2011, 03:42 AM)gabeeg Wrote: I know Op fire is kept a bit of a mystery to keep people for gaming the system, but I would like to see that mystery tweaked maybe just a tiny bit.
Here is an example from a current game:

1. Moved my HT into some woods, I right click on a woods hex and my HT won't move...odd...I right click again and it still will not move...but a MkIV appears in that hex (it was hidden initially by FOW)...the MkIV does not op fire.

2. Prior to moving my HT into the MkIV I had moved a T34 through this mkIV's LOS for 2-3 hexes at a distance of 6-7 hexes distance. MkIV would have had a nice side shot, and since I had not seen this MkIV yet in the game I am assuming its effectiveness is close to 100% (not sure if that has an effect on op fire).

3. After the discovery by bumping with my HT I figured my opponent might have set this MkIV to "hold fire" and was setting an ambush....so I took a risk and brought up a T-34 through the woods to the hex directly in front of the MkIV... still no op fire from the MkIV...and I blast it.

I asked my opponent if he had the MkIV set to "hold fire", he stated he did not.

Seems to me that, that something is a bit out of whack. Granted I have seen minor weirdness from op fire but usually within bounds...but this one seemed a bit extreme.

Maybe the panzer had HE load and in that case it does not op. fire to armored vehicles.
12-15-2011, 12:24 AM,
Which is a great reason to check out the loads of most of your weapons on that first turn to make they are what you want them to be. Nothing like firing an HE load for a couple of turns wondering why the armor you're firing at isn't exploding...

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-15-2011, 12:44 AM,
(12-15-2011, 12:24 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Which is a great reason to check out the loads of most of your weapons on that first turn to make they are what you want them to be. Nothing like firing an HE load for a couple of turns wondering why the armor you're firing at isn't exploding...

I've forgotten to do this on MORE than one occasion...:hissy:
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
12-15-2011, 12:47 AM,
Been there, done that more than I care to remember!:bang:
12-15-2011, 04:58 AM,
Ah...good call...I am going to ask you opponent...
12-15-2011, 05:07 AM,
This goes for things like AT guns, mortars, recoilless rifles, M-79 grenade launchers, RPGs, etc....

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-15-2011, 11:02 AM,
(12-15-2011, 05:07 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: This goes for things like AT guns, mortars, recoilless rifles, M-79 grenade launchers, RPGs, etc....

Yes nothing worse then forgotting change weapon load on mortar.
Instead of putting down suppressive fire on your foe, you waste valueable smoke giving him extra cover
244 games with legend that is Richie61