• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

??????
12-22-2011, 04:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2011, 09:25 PM by Vesku.)
RE: ??????
It isn't that hard to find different battles, I'm playing or just finished:
12/39 Finland vs Russia
early -43 US assault vs Italy
10th PBEM campaign battle Germany vs Russia
6/42 Rumanian advance vs Russia

Ok, Ger vs Rus is a classic but playing a long campaign changes the way you approach the battle, core needs to be planned and preserved. Not all battles are meeting either. Interesting was to notice that a single Tiger easily won a battle when used as it should have always been used, behind an infantry screen.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2011, 09:07 PM,
I'm playing a long campaign with the United States since 1942. It's hard to start against the Japanese. Unlike a long campaign with Germany where the beginning is easier. You can see my AAR here: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48136
Now I had to hold it in abeyance because I have four very hard battles PBEM.
Many who say they are bored is because they have been playing for years and have much experience. I'm still learning about and trying different tactics units. So it is an interesting game for me.
12-23-2011, 09:22 PM,
Who says I had Germans? I was the underdog (lower XP force) in every of those battles and lost the battle against july because he used his lonely Tiger wisely.

I've been playing this game for years and still find it interesting but that's because I've found interesting players, those who enjoy the way the game simulates battle. As you can see from the list below they are all historical battles and they were fought with realistic forces. That's the hook for me that has kept me with the game for a very long time.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
12-24-2011, 03:22 AM,
That is where WW2 is superior to MBT. A lot of the MBT routines are done to make the game playable, not accurate. Try a Golan hieghts battle with 48 Pattons destroying over 300 T-62's. Maybe vs the AI but A HI isn't going to drive around in front of your guns until you kill it.
IMHO the Cammo Boys 'juiced' the Soviet gear so the Soviet player would have a chance.
They could do that because a lot of the tech data is still considered 'secret'.
Yeah, I know, how can a 50+ year old T-55 still be a secret? Russians STILL don't sell maps at gas stations.
12-28-2011, 07:57 AM,
Hey Guys, I still play the game.......usually have 5 or 6 games going at once. The campaigns are tough to beat........lots of fun keeping your core troops alive. I find that the german forces are very tough to break(my opponents tend to go up to the high morale troops, I dont blame them.).......I am one of the guilty ones who usually plays on the Eastern front. This is still the best site to goto for finding players of extreme quality.

Merry Christmas everyone......
12-31-2011, 03:51 PM,
Except for me. I'm getting to old. I make too many really stupid mistakes. About half an hour ago I finally got the flank shot on the Leo2A7 I've been stalking. popped out of the hide and since I had a 5 stabilizer I could move 1 hex and shoot. So I went with the W key. hit 3, which was the AAMG, not 2 which was the ATGM which had the pen for a side kill. so my MG rattled the side armor, the turret spun, the 120 boomed and my BMP died an ugly death.
MY opponent was trying to sneak up on me, so he had an entire plat. in 2 hexes. I hit the correct key and that Leo dying supresses the rest of the plt. which gives the infantry platoon also in the woods a chance to close assult that Leo plt.
Instead my New Soviet Men drop their RPG's and head for cover when the BMP blows up.
12-31-2011, 04:10 PM,
low bidder.....your guys are havin a bad day.......
12-31-2011, 10:22 PM,
Lately that has been a normal day.
That is why I think I'm getting too old. SP of any flavor requires a lot of FOCUS. If you can't keep all the factors straight, then you become Panther chow. Back when I was trying to teach you MBT and bring you over to the dark side, I never had a problem with keeping track of a few hundred units. At least enough to keep them all shooting in the correct direction.
01-02-2012, 02:39 AM,
Hi Guys,

maybe I'm too old school for our modern age of adrenalin rush with RT games.. I cut my teeth on the old world, pre-computer days of board games.. with 'Squad Leader' as my favorite. I discovered SP when we bought our first computer nearly 12 years ago.. and then found the blitz in 2003.

My favorites about both the ww2 and mbt games, is that along with historical opponents, one can play such 'what-if' things like UK vs Russia.. modern day American Revolution (UK vs USA).. or a south american border dispute.. or... the list can be endless..

I appreciate all the volunteer effort that SPCAMO has put into the games and for Christmas last year gifted myself with the CD version of the game

For you long time players and die-hards (like me).. The CD version is very, very worth the expense. The enhanced features really add to the game. Now that I've played it for a while, I've been kicking myself for not upgrading sooner :)

JP and I have a great deal of fun bashing each other.. he really likes his russians, and I really like the Brits.. but that's not all we do.. at the moment we have a USA/Germany in May 1940 (France) running.. not far enough into it for any meaningful comments, but there is always something different that can be attempted with the games.

Cheers!
Greybeard
01-02-2012, 11:24 AM,
I think this game has many variations that I have not come to explore. Tactics also can be tested variants. In fact every player has different tactics.
PBEM campaigns also play fun. I'm playing one, my first campaign PBEM.
In the official forum are seeing some players how to apply this game to an operational level.