• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help, I can beat the AI but dont deserve it!
12-12-2011, 10:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM by TheGrayMouser.)
Help, I can beat the AI but dont deserve it!
Ok Ive played about 3 of the smaller "TT" scenarios and won , barely, vs the AI but I feel my gameplay was sloppy and I have no idea what im doing right or wrong. No matter how careful I am , my troops always end up in a morrass of different commands intermingled causing disorder everywhere, troops order to charge straight ahead end up charging sideways, troops "recoil" but then move and attack someone else, oye

I think my problem is there is no real "feedback" on what is happening. Why do my cataphracts die in droves when facing light medium infantry they charged into, for example?

Per the manual there are SO many modifiers effecting the combat, +1 for being on the right flank of shielded units etc etc etc but where can one SEE these in game ? I tried playing with on map results OFF, and other than getting carpal tunnel syndrome from closing the combat box 400 times per turn, there was no ilumination of what was going on .... The on map dialogue appears only to show 2-3 basic modifers like is charging, fatigue etc but none of the 20-30 other modifiers...
I doudt there is any way to see all th emodifers in a clean usable way since this is a wego game, but the lack of feedback is making it tough to enjoy, and I so do want to enjoy these games. Maybe I need some massive remedial tutorials or something , doh.

edit Ok figured out one thing at least, skirmishers need to be reset to "skirmish" every single turn or they will try and hold their ground vs legions, oops
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2011, 08:45 AM,
RE: Help, I can beat the AI but dont deserve it!
You can ask for casualties NOT to pop up on the map, and you will get a small information box for each combat instead that you'll click to remove. This box gives you much information.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM,
(12-13-2011, 08:45 AM)Al Amos Wrote: You can ask for casualties NOT to pop up on the map, and you will get a small information box for each combat instead that you'll click to remove. This box gives you much information.

Yep, that is what I tried but the small amount of feedback you get clearly isnt everything that is going on under the hood, and the massive amount of clicking and slowdown of the game makes it not worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, played TT #1? (Cleopatra vs Ptolemy ) for a third time and i think I am getting the swing of things. Decisive vistory and much less causalties this go around, overall more satisfying :) The cumulative effect of missle fire appears to be devastating (hmm, maybe should try with ammo rules on?)

Few more questions:

a somewhere it is said that you can continue the battle after it offically ends, and I have had several where the option pops up but when I click , it is still over....

b charging: is it best to charge up to the hex adjacent to an enemy unit, into the hex of the enemy unit or the hex on the other side of the enemy unit? (or does it make no differnece?) The manual is pretty good in explaining what happens, but not how to "make" things happen.

C any way to turn off command and control so units always obey orders? That way I can get a feel for what troops ideally can do, and then ease into the chaos of them failing command checks, wimping out on charging etc :)

Cheers!
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM,
a - usually if the option is given you can. Report this to HPS Support it may be a bug.

b - I select my units to charge the hex behind the target so they at least get there. Make sure your movement orders are going only at the slowest unit's speed, or you leaders may get too far out front. So if you have HI that can only go two hexes only order the group to go two hexes or your leaders may get out front and get whacked.

c - I think there is, but can't swear to it. There is an optional rule covering command control, but it escapes me at the moment.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
12-13-2011, 10:23 AM,
Thanks for the tips Al!, especially about moving groups per the slowest unit, was wondering why all my commisars were so eager to die :)
12-15-2011, 07:38 AM,
Hi, TGM, have you heard from Fafhrd lately?

(Boy did your handle bring back some ancient memories!)
12-15-2011, 09:15 AM,
(12-15-2011, 07:38 AM)Liebchen Wrote: Hi, TGM, have you heard from Fafhrd lately?

(Boy did your handle bring back some ancient memories!)

Not since our high school days, which you can now catch on DVD: "Fast Times at Lanhkmar High"Big Grin

12-18-2011, 04:27 PM,
(12-13-2011, 09:06 AM)TheGrayMouser Wrote: the small amount of feedback you get clearly isnt everything that is going on under the hood,

Anyway, played TT #1? (Cleopatra vs Ptolemy ) for a third time and i think I am getting the swing of things. Decisive vistory and much less causalties this go around, overall more satisfying :) The cumulative effect of missle fire appears to be devastating (hmm, maybe should try with ammo rules on?)

Few more questions:

a somewhere it is said that you can continue the battle after it offically ends, and I have had several where the option pops up but when I click , it is still over....

b charging: is it best to charge up to the hex adjacent to an enemy unit, into the hex of the enemy unit or the hex on the other side of the enemy unit? (or does it make no differnece?) The manual is pretty good in explaining what happens, but not how to "make" things happen.

C any way to turn off command and control so units always obey orders? That way I can get a feel for what troops ideally can do, and then ease into the chaos of them failing command checks, wimping out on charging etc :)

Cheers!

I can answer some of your questions here and now, some questions a little later on. First, your point on how to see more information on the combat modifiers. The limited information given in the combat dialog box on the top right of your screen is the only information currently available to the player. The team looked at extending this but found anything other than a short summary slowed the game down too much. It is only practical for a very small scenario to explain on each and every combat all the modifiers in play. The game was designed not for a player to know every possible permutation like a game of chess as a means of winning but to apply the tactics of the ancient period to win. The more you read articles on ancient warfare the more you can apply and win scenarios in this game.
You raised an intersting question on why do your cataphracts suffer so badly when in combat with LMI. You will find cataphracts were used like shock cavalry. Their first round of combat scores high results but once the cataphract is bogged down in a melee and becomes stationary the advantage of the heavy armoured horse becomes a disadvantage and the mobility of the LMI allow them to swarm over the steel clad horseman and grind them down. Cataphracts should only be used where the enemy is already weak in numbers, disorganised and low in morale. The final blow coming from the shock cavalry charge is then enough to rout the enemy formation and avoid long periods of combat. Where possible weaken your enemy with archery fire before going in with the heavy units like cataphracts.
I recommend you play with ammo supply option on - this only gives each unit 10 shots and avoids an army of LI archers destroying a Roman Legionary formation. For beginners, start with the 'Command and Control' option off so you do not need to worry about units failing to address orders or out of range of their commander. Leaders are then not important and you can play around testing the strength and weakness of the basic different types of infantry and cavalry.
To answer question b) - charging in - it is best to commit a charge to the hex behind the target unit or the hex of the target unit. This ensures your unit will reach the enemy even if he retires in the face of your charge. Choosing to stop the charge at the hex in front of the enemy may result in no combat if the enemy unit starts to move away.
Question c) - 'Command and Control' is one of the scenario options. Once you have ticked the option as ON and moved in to the game you can not reset it. This option dialog is only available at the start of each scenario and only to the first player in a PBEM game. Players should agree which options are in play before progressing in to the scenario.
I will post more information soon.:)
12-18-2011, 05:37 PM,
Review of the question - "Why can I not use the 'Continue Game' button when I reach the end of the game turns?"
This option is designed to operate only for players against the computer AI and only if the Victory score is in a 'draw' status at the end of the set number of turns in the scenario. Unfortunately there is a bug, it has been identified and corrected. The first free update at the HPS web site will address this problem. My apologies for this inconvenience and thank you for highlighting the bug. It does work if the game is cut short because of low army morale and the status is a 'draw' but this is not the issue here.