• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mad_Dog wants YOU to play in a Africa at War Tournament
12-18-2011, 01:12 PM,
RE: Mad_Dog wants YOU to play in a Africa at War Tournament
If anyone installs successfully, or has problems, post it here so we can help each other out. It has been a long time since I did it, so I can`t really remember how it worked for me.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2011, 08:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2011, 08:34 PM by Embis.)
Count me in:)

Regarding installation: I have managed to install it and it works just fine but I had some serious head scratching to do before it worked.

After running the autoinstaller I couldn't find the .exe file in the Africa at War folder. I copied across the pw.exe file from PW and, of course, it worked. I imagine this is what you are supposed to do and it is probably glaringly obvious to most, (it wasnt to me!!) this is probably written down somewhere but if it is, I missed it, and so others might as well.

Did I miss some installation instructions somewhere? if there are some could someone point out their locale so that dunderheads like me don't scratch off so much of their scalp during install? ;)
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM,
Players:
Laza
Outlaw josey Wales
Rabbit
kolc
Dog829
NikB
Embis

Seven players. I think a dozen is a good number for a tourney, we're almost there.

Embis: Nice avatar! :) I remember installing it in a similar way to you, but I don't remember any special instructions for it. It sounds pretty straightforward the way you've described it though. If anyone's been on the fence, give it a try. :)

12-22-2011, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2011, 12:42 PM by Rabbit.)
I rebuilt my Windows 7 system not long ago and didn't have any troubles installing the Africa at War mod. You need to have Pacific War installed first with the latest patch which is v1.03 (you can download the patch from http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_...tml#PacWar). I remembered seeing instructions when I double-clicked on the "Africa at War.exe", so I did that again and made a copy of the installation instructions below:

Welcome to Africa!

This will self-extract the Africa at War main files to the default HPS Simulations directory on your hard drive.

Please follow the steps listed below:

1. Select the INSTALL button to extract the files.

2. Copy the Media folder from your Pacific War folder to your new Africa at War folder.

3. Copy the pw.exe file from your Pacific War folder to your new Africa at War folder.

4. Copy the sqedit.exe file from your Pacfic War folder to your new Africa at War folder.

5. Proceed to the AfricaWar_Sounds self-extractor to update your new Africa at War Media folder.

That's it! Enjoy!
RedMike TFE4

As Mad Dog mentioned, the Africa at War installation file can be found at http://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-s...ca-at-war/. Note that you have to do a lot of scrolling down the webpage to get to the section entitled "FILES AND UPDATES" where you will find the download links for the "Africa at War Self-Extractor" and the "Africa at War Self-Extracting Sound Mod".

As you'll notice, the "Africa at War Self-Extracting Sound Mod" is divided into two downloads at TFE4, labeled "Part One" and "Part Two". After you have run the executable to install Africa at War (and copied the Media folder as well as the two pw.exe and sqedit.exe files), simply run both of those two executables for the sound mod and you should be good to go!

Please post here if you encounter any problems installing the mod, but it should be pretty easy. Africa at War seems to have flown under the radar for a lot of people, but it has some terrific scenarios in it and the tournament will provide a unique opportunity to have some PBEM opponents to try it out with. (And if you don't have Pacific War yet, you probably have some friends or relatives who are struggling to think of a last minute gift for you...)
12-23-2011, 01:00 AM,
I am operational now as well. I wish I had read all of this first though as it sure would have saved me some time. I now possess experience. :coffee:
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.
12-28-2011, 04:11 AM,
I love Africa at War. Count it me. I will now attempt to install the mod ;)
12-29-2011, 02:51 AM,
Good to see you Ivan. :) 8 players now:

Laza
Outlaw josey Wales
Rabbit
kolc
Dog829
NikB
Embis
Ivan

12-30-2011, 08:08 AM,
Good to see you too. I've installed the mod and ready to go. Pity AAW isn't an official title, it's probably the best in terms of atmosphere and fun. Anyone else thinking of trying it don't be put off by installation it was really straight forward.
01-05-2012, 07:21 AM,
I have just downloaded and installed the mod, I would like to join the Tournament

Joaquin
01-05-2012, 08:02 AM,
9 players, if we can get 3 more it should be a go. If we get two more, I'll be number 12.

Laza
Outlaw josey Wales
Rabbit
kolc
Dog829
NikB
Embis
Ivan
Legia1965