• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Need CS Players to step up as Game Testers!
10-31-2011, 12:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2011, 12:25 AM by Kool Kat.)
Need CS Players to step up as Game Testers!
Gents: :smoke:

I took a quick look at the H2H scenario section.

First, the good news! :)

There are currently 9 H2H scenarios with 5 out of 9 (55%) with 1 or more test games underway! Good stuff! Big Grin

However, the bad news is of the other 4 H2H scenarios that don't have test games underway... some of these scenario versions have been languishing in H2H for nearly two years! :eek1: :(

West Front

Aachen-West Wall 1944 (Dec 2009 latest version) - 24 months

6th Gebirg SS in Operation Norwind (April 2010 latest version) - 18 months

East Front

Morning of Fire for I/Panzer Rgt. 26 (Feb 2010 latest version) - 18 months

Peiper's First Step to the Knight's Cross (April 2011 latest version) - 6 months

I've play tested several H2H design submissions... for example, "Morning of Fire" twice... and am currently play testing one of my designs.

IMO, it is not a "hard" duty to perform... and gives valuable feedback to the scenario designers? Plus the end product are new and exciting CS scenarios for all to enjoy?

Hopefully a few more CS players will step up and help move these designs out of the H2H section? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2011, 07:57 AM,
RE: Need CS Players to step up as Game Testers!
Hello.

As designer of two of them, I have to say from my point or view they are ready to pass to regular scn depot since some months ago.:whis:
The main problem they don't pass the rate assigned, anyway they are reworked and ready to play.:cheeky:

Cheers.

Chema aka Feldgeneral Hoth
11-13-2011, 08:15 AM,
(11-13-2011, 07:57 AM)Feldgeneral Hoth Wrote: Hello.

As designer of two of them, I have to say from my point or view they are ready to pass to regular scn depot since some months ago.:whis:
The main problem they don't pass the rate assigned, anyway they are reworked and ready to play.:cheeky:

Cheers.

Chema aka Feldgeneral Hoth

Please upload your designs to the regular scenario area. Once that is done I will delete your test versions.
Sorry they could not pass the H2H test.

cheers

HSL
11-14-2011, 08:34 AM,
oK, done. You can delete them from H2H section.

11-15-2011, 08:52 AM,
Mission accomplished! :smoke:

Thanks for trying out H2H.
Remember H2H is not a "rubber stamp" for games submitted. Sometimes the designer needs to stay active, interact with the testers, review reports, make changes, and "nurse" the scenario to the finish line.

I have not yet seen a submitted scenario that did not need tweaking or revision. :eek1:Whip

cheers

HSL
11-15-2011, 11:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2011, 11:48 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
(10-31-2011, 12:14 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: West Front
Aachen-West Wall 1944 (Dec 2009 latest version) - 24 months

Mike, this is a very large scenario. It has gone through extensive revision and testing. It should be ready shortly to pass the H2H requirements.

Length of time often reflects the size of the scenario or the lack of effort on the part of the designer.
Dan has been actively involved with his scenario and I was going to ask the Mods to present him with extra bonus points for sticking with it. :smoke:

cheers

HSL

11-15-2011, 10:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2011, 10:10 PM by Kool Kat.)
(11-15-2011, 11:47 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Mike, this is a very large scenario. It has gone through extensive revision and testing. It should be ready shortly to pass the H2H requirements.

Ed - I understand about Dan's very large Aachen-West Wall scenario. My post was to (hopefully?) galvanize more players to get involved in play testing H2H designs... and not to criticize the scenario designers and their creations. :cool2:

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-16-2011, 04:11 AM,
(11-15-2011, 10:09 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: My post was to (hopefully?) galvanize more players to get involved in play testing H2H designs... and not to criticize the scenario designers and their creations. :cool2:

Mike, I would love to see members test out scenarios in the H2H area. It is a fun thing to do and is very helpful.

"Criticize the scenario designers?" Who said that? :eek1:
And, "their creations" are what the members are rating for balance and fun.
Isn't that a process of criticizing? :chin:

I know that my issue with some of the designers, which was discussed long ago by many of the ladder officers of the club, was that they put a scenario design into H2H and then expect it to pass as is. Even the ones that are not balanced or fun to play. :eek1:Whip
Or, they put it in H2H but take no active interest in promoting or improving it.
Or, they ignore any and all feedback from the testers and expect it to simply move on after low ratings.
Or, some might even ignore e-mails and/or PM's asking that they resubmit their designs or remove them.
Or, some do not bother to "approve them" and rename them with the H2H logo when they do pass?

That is how most scenarios sit in H2H.

Obviously, yours do not sit that long because you promote them and improve them based on player feedback! :smoke: :bow:

cheers

HSL

11-17-2011, 09:42 PM,
(11-16-2011, 04:11 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: I know that my issue with some of the designers, which was discussed long ago by many of the ladder officers of the club, was that they put a scenario design into H2H and then expect it to pass as is. Even the ones that are not balanced or fun to play. :eek1:Whip
Or, they put it in H2H but take no active interest in promoting or improving it.
Or, they ignore any and all feedback from the testers and expect it to simply move on after low ratings.
Or, some might even ignore e-mails and/or PM's asking that they resubmit their designs or remove them.
Or, some do not bother to "approve them" and rename them with the H2H logo when they do pass?

That is how most scenarios sit in H2H.
cheers

HSL

Hi.
About H2H, Since time ago we are talking in this forum about how this section can improve the custom scns submited. I want to explain everybody the normal stages of a scn in this section. For expample my own scn: Morning of fire...
a) Upload the scn to H2H section after a minimal test with some of my usual opponents.
b) Testing phase from some of players of the Blitz.
c) Reporting comments to me or h2h section directly.
d) Rework phase by designer and upload the new version with a NEW version num included in the comments to point out the differences with the first version. Ok,ok...This phase can delay depending of designer's interest, but we must think in a true interest from a designer who send own scns to H2H. We are assuming the process for their scns.
e) NO MORE TESTING GAMES from phase "d" for a long time and the rate of scn continues the same than previous phase. it's below rate required

So, the scn continues in the H2H section "per secula, seculorum" with a non rate required to pass to scn depot until the H2H webmaster decide to remove after contact with designer. In case of this scn, it was analysed by one players in an AAR and the situation didn't change.

I think this is "the life" of a custom scn in this section, otherwise it have a ratio need from the first testing games. No matters then, it will be uploaded to general depot directly. The problem can be the phase d, because once the scn is improved (maybe) nobody pick the scn to test again.

I agree with all to say we need some method to find fun and balanced scns, but the current method should be checked to avoid long-life scns of H2H section.

Regards.
Chema

11-17-2011, 10:20 PM,
(11-17-2011, 09:42 PM)Feldgeneral Hoth Wrote: In case of this scn, it was analysed by one players in an AAR and the situation didn't change.

I think this is "the life" of a custom scn in this section, otherwise it have a ratio need from the first testing games. No matters then, it will be uploaded to general depot directly. The problem can be the phase d, because once the scn is improved (maybe) nobody pick the scn to test again.

I agree with all to say we need some method to find fun and balanced scns, but the current method should be checked to avoid long-life scns of H2H section.

Gents: :smoke:

I play tested both versions of "Morning of Fire".... and to Chema's defense... he did listen to player feedback and made improvements to his scenario design. The new version was the reason I agreed to play test it again.

During the second round of play testing, I gave the scenario higher marks than the original version... because of several improvements to the design... Russian units were "unfixed" and turns were added to help the Axis cope better with mud conditions.

Unfortunately, and for reasons unknown, my play test opponent did not submit a test report - even after I asked him several times during our email exchanges to write one up. In the end, one additional, favorable test report... I believe Chema's design fell short of the 8.0 mark by less than a 1 point difference.... may have been enough to earn the scenario a H2H designation? :chin:

However, I think it is also fair to point out, that if Chema had been more "aggressive" with marketing and soliciting his scenario design... a few quick notes in the main CS forum section... asking a few friends for help... or even play testing it himself with another player... and "Morning of Fire" could have been pushed over the finish line and earned the H2H rating? It was so close! :eek1:

In any event, even without the H2H designation, "Morning of Fire" is a fun, exciting, and balanced scenario, and will make an excellent addition to the CS East Front scenario collection! :bow: cheers

Send this user an email