• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WITP-AE
10-19-2011, 04:53 AM,
WITP-AE
Just loaded up the game and it's as clear as mud to this simple mind. Looks like a great game, if I can just figure out how to play. I was running through one of the smaller scenarios to try & get a feel and after a few turns the AI had 300+ VP's and I had 19 so it's obvious I'm missing something.

The 300+ page manual does not help the intimidation factor either.

Is there a "demo" file or "demo" scenario out there that can give one an idea of what one is trying to do?

Any help/guidance appreciated.

:hissy:
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2011, 04:59 AM,
RE: WITP-AE
Greg I have plain WiTP and like it a lot !.

If you have it as well and fancy a training battle let me know.

(I never got round to buying AE as I couldnt justify to myself paying again for an improved version of WiTP when I couldnt find the players to play basic WiTP , oh and also the price !).

Let me know if your interested mate.

(10-19-2011, 04:53 AM)RADO Wrote: Just loaded up the game and it's as clear as mud to this simple mind. Looks like a great game, if I can just figure out how to play. I was running through one of the smaller scenarios to try & get a feel and after a few turns the AI had 300+ VP's and I had 19 so it's obvious I'm missing something.

The 300+ page manual does not help the intimidation factor either.

Is there a "demo" file or "demo" scenario out there that can give one an idea of what one is trying to do?

Any help/guidance appreciated.

:hissy:

Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
10-19-2011, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2011, 05:37 AM by RADO.)
Are the two game versions compatable?
Send this user an email
10-19-2011, 07:04 AM,
The earlier edition of WITP came with a tutorial scenario and booklet to take you through all the different types of operations. I'm not sure why they did away with it in WITP-AE.
10-19-2011, 12:39 PM,
Sadly the answer is no Greg.

(10-19-2011, 05:36 AM)RADO Wrote: Are the two game versions compatable?

Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
10-20-2011, 12:43 AM,
Typical software designers. :mad:

Wordperfect used to do the same thing years ago before Windows. (Does anyone still use Wordperfect?).

As small as the wargaming market is, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to bring out an upgrade for a game as a new title and not give previous buyers a patch for compatability.

My 2 cents.

Been playing the game and it appears there will be quite a learning curve. Playing Coral Sea and in the first 6 days I have lost the Yorktown and the Lexington but have sunk 4 Jap carriers.

:)
Send this user an email
10-20-2011, 03:39 AM,
(10-20-2011, 12:43 AM)RADO Wrote: Playing Coral Sea and in the first 6 days I have lost the Yorktown and the Lexington but have sunk 4 Jap carriers.

Not a bad days work, for just starting out with a new game! :)

10-20-2011, 06:05 AM,
But there is so much to learn in the game! The game is quite pricey at $80 (and that was just the download price!) but contains quite a lot of information in it that one would spend a lot of money on researching it in books oneself.

They put a lot of time & effort into the game. Some aspects seem quite abstract and "beyond one's control" which is an aspect some gamers will enjoy & that others will just hate.

In my experience, many gamers love their "God's view & total control" of the battlefield, and it just doesn't work that way.

It was quite disconcerting to see enemy planes coming in and taking out the Yorktown and then even more so on the Lexington. Port Mooresby is under attack & may be lost & the perspective really leaves one thinking "what the heck am I to do now".

Not having "total control" is to me, quite refreshing in a game!

cheers
Send this user an email
10-21-2011, 07:27 AM,
RADO,

I'd highly recommend spending some time on the Matrix forums reading up on some of the After Action Reports, the War Room topics, and general posts. They are very informative and provide a ton of information on "what you really need to do" in addition to "what you can do".

Also, while the smaller scenarios are easier to dig into (less space, less units, etc.) some of them are anything but balanced. During your steep ascent up the learning cliff, I wouldn't worry too much about winning and losing, just use the time to figure out the basics.

Mike
10-21-2011, 11:29 AM,
Being new to these games I have to say the best way to figure them out is to play them and take your lumps. They both seem to be awesome games.........but the learning curve is really steep, at least for me it has been. But the game is very satisfying. I have another monster to learn next WITE, and I am holding off on that one for now......lol.

Anyone want to crush me in a friendly game of WITP, soon I'll be running the AE version as well.

Jad