• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Missing unit pics?
10-15-2011, 09:05 AM,
Missing unit pics?
Hey all, tried doing a search on this already, but not getting any help. I know that a unit pic has to be spelled the same and all for it to appear in game, but a few still do not even thought they are spelled exactly??!! Some new units I made for a mod I have for personal use aren't showing the pics. Any thoughts?

Mike
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2011, 09:21 AM,
RE: Missing unit pics?
Double check you don't have spaces etc. The easiest way I have found to get them aligned is to use copy and paste of the component name in the OB editor and then rename the graphics file using the paste function.
10-15-2011, 09:43 AM,
It may not be as simple as watching to make sure spaces don't sneak into file names when you're not looking. I had some really weird experiences with reconfigured files refusing to appear earlier this year, and I've successfully renamed literally hundreds of files over the years.

My standard tactic in this situation is to highlight the file, click on rename, copy the contents of the file's name field, delete the original file, and paste the copied name onto the target's rename field. A bit elaborate, but it saves me having to worry about miscounting squoonched together spaces, which can be a real issue when you're long in the tooth and starting to go blind from spending too much time staring at computer screens.

The other approach (which doesn't always work for a whole host of reasons) is to copy your new image directly onto the original bitmap. It can get messy, and for it to work you sometimes have to mess around with the properities of the file: you'll know you have a problem if the file is protected and all your color values seem to change when you try to copy the new image onto the old.

I think there may be more going on in the background than just invisible spaces creeping in. At one point this summer I was on the verge of throwing in the towel on one of my mods.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
10-15-2011, 12:18 PM,
Awesome, thanks fellahs!! I thought I had removed the spaces in the .dat file, but upon opening up my oob in the editor, I noticed spaces, cleaned 'em up and Voila!! Got sounds to work for movement too, if anyone is interested?? Let me know.

Mike
10-15-2011, 12:59 PM,
Which game are you talking about? Since the Panzer Campaigns games now have fairly recent patches, if you dump the movement sounds from Steve's SDC website into the Media folder you should get a whole host of movement sounds.

http://www.hist-sdc.com/hps/PzC_Movement.zip
10-15-2011, 11:03 PM,
North German Plain, I just used sounds from the Campaign Series, they work fine, but thanks for the link, just dumped them into the folder for more variety!!
10-18-2011, 05:24 AM,
Here's the link to the Modern Campaigns movement sounds. I don't have any of the games, but I suspect it would work better than just loading in the WW II sounds.

http://hist-sdc-downloads.blogspot.com/

10-18-2011, 06:20 AM,
Thanks again Philippe! I'm working on a mod involving based on Harry Turtledoves series about aliens invading the earth in WW2. Had to use a modern game to utilize nukes, and helos, other more modern type weaponry. Porting the WW2 units into it, changed a bunch of artwork, units, etc. Pics for everything also. Playing a large scenario now, to see how it works out, I like it. Next will try to do a WW2 with either the Axis or Allied Bulgarians, using budapest for a base. I had started something like this years ago, but something else popped up, and I forgot about it till now!! I've got a lot of info on the Minor Axis nations in WW2, good stuff!! Already have the unit.dat made up for them, just need to make a good oob, and create a sub map/scenario, south of Budapest.

Mike