• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Low ammo / fuel issue.
10-13-2011, 01:53 AM,
Low ammo / fuel issue.
I have been playing the complete Market - Garden maximum effort campaign as the 21st Army player and it seems the the main core XXXth Corps units suffer often from low ammo and / or fuel supply. What does one do to counter that? Again stack them with their parent formation HQ, put them out of action for some time or rotate ( pretty insane idea with the snail's pace of the advance towards Eindhoven given ... )or maybe just get them somewhere nearer the MSR? 101st and 82nd Abn paras also have to bear with low ammo levels. Red Devils alike ...

And what actually does that mean if a motorized unit unloaded and fighting on foot has a low fuel status? ...
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2011, 04:13 AM,
RE: Low ammo / fuel issue.
(10-13-2011, 01:53 AM)burroughs Wrote: I have been playing the complete Market - Garden maximum effort campaign as the 21st Army player and it seems the the main core XXXth Corps units suffer often from low ammo and / or fuel supply. What does one do to counter that? Again stack them with their parent formation HQ, put them out of action for some time or rotate ( pretty insane idea with the snail's pace of the advance towards Eindhoven given ... )or maybe just get them somewhere nearer the MSR? 101st and 82nd Abn paras also have to bear with low ammo levels. Red Devils alike ...

And what actually does that mean if a motorized unit unloaded and fighting on foot has a low fuel status? ...

Proximity to their HQ immediate is the only cure for low supplies. In the case of low fuel, I believe that being within nominal range of the HQ at the beginning of the midnight turn will get them a visit from the fuel trucks automatically. During all other turns, it's a crap shoot, but proximity to the HQ increases the odds.

As for airborne units, they must suffer from low supplies until the meet-up, since the supply values for their drop zones is so low. That's just one of the hardships of being in the airborne!
10-13-2011, 06:07 AM,
Aw yes, siree, thanks for clearing that one up for me. We're paratroopers, we're suppossed to be surrounded, eh? ...
10-13-2011, 08:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM by Liebchen.)
(10-13-2011, 06:07 AM)burroughs Wrote: Aw yes, siree, thanks for clearing that one up for me. We're paratroopers, we're suppossed to be surrounded, eh? ...

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the Brits, in particular suffered because the Germans overran their drop zones...

As for your last question, there is no harm to units that are on foot if they are low on ammo, since they only move like foot units. But if they regain transportation and not fuel (an unlikely event, since they'll be sitting on top of their HQ, but not impossible), then they'll suffer the loss of mobility.
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM,
(10-13-2011, 01:53 AM)burroughs Wrote: And what actually does that mean if a motorized unit unloaded and fighting on foot has a low fuel status? ...

It takes a -1 Morale hit.
Send this user an email
10-13-2011, 05:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM by burroughs.)
(10-13-2011, 04:51 PM)JDR Dragoon Wrote:
(10-13-2011, 01:53 AM)burroughs Wrote: And what actually does that mean if a motorized unit unloaded and fighting on foot has a low fuel status? ...

It takes a -1 Morale hit.

I see; well, I'll bet it's somewhere in the manual, but was too lazy to look it up or actually preferred to have an old hand say something meaningful and concise at the same time. Good idea with that morale loss; I know the instance where some of the 101st Abn paratroopers were transported back on trucks after a particularly vicious encounter down on Hell's Highway, it's even in the "Band of Brothers" - that must have been hell of a relief, rotating out of the first line - impossible feat to achieve if there was no fuel.

True to the fact with that Red Devils ordeal; Jerries were cunning enough to capture some of their signal panels and divert the supply drops or even vector the airstrikes on them with friendly air assets as Kershaw put that in his "It Never Snows in Septemeber".