• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is this a bug/mistake?
10-03-2011, 07:21 AM,
RE: Is this a bug/mistake?
(10-02-2011, 04:45 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: Besides my comment, I mainly posted to add one more cat into discussion cheers

The kats of the world unite! YMCA

Join the Party

"Cheshire Cat: All ways here you see, are the QUEEN'S WAYS!
Alice: But I've never met any queen.
Cheshire Cat: You haven't? You ha-VEN'T? Oh, but you must! She'll be mad about you, simply mad!
[chuckles, then rolls over and almost disappears]
Cheshire Cat: The romeraths' outgrabe...
Alice: Please, please! H-How can I find her?
Cheshire Cat: Well, some go this way, and some go that way. But as for me, myself, personally, I prefer the short-cut." - (Alice in Wonderland)
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 08:38 AM,
Being a rookie that hasn’t even played 100 games yet, I’m more confused than ever.

Is it Player A turn = 6 minutes
Player B turn = 6 minutes
For a total of 12 minutes equal turn 1

Or, is it Player A turn = 3 minutes
Player B turn = 3 minutes
For a total of 6 minutes equal turn 1.

Or, is it both turns is going on at the same time for 6 minutes?
I get a little lost if I have to imagine stuff.

Never really thought about it. I just know how many turns (tries) I get to make my victory conditions. Fun little game if you don’t get too serious about it.

Thanx!

Send this user an email
10-03-2011, 09:40 AM,
(10-03-2011, 08:38 AM)keif149 Wrote: Being a rookie that hasn’t even played 100 games yet, I’m more confused than ever.

Is it Player A turn = 6 minutes
Player B turn = 6 minutes
For a total of 12 minutes equal turn 1

Or, is it Player A turn = 3 minutes
Player B turn = 3 minutes
For a total of 6 minutes equal turn 1.

Or, is it both turns is going on at the same time for 6 minutes?

Never really thought about it. I just know how many turns (tries) I get to make my victory conditions. Fun little game if you don’t get too serious about it.

Thanx!

I complete turn (both sides moving) is 6 minutes.

Both sides get 6 minutes of action in their turn.

In reality both sides would be moving at the same time. The limitations of computer game play means that both sides have to take their 6 minute turn seperately. Each players turn overlaps the others.

So say the scenario starts at 11:00 AM. Side one takes their 6 minutes of action. Then side 2 takes their 6 minutes of actiom. Turn 1 ends. Turn 2 begins at 11:06AM.

Ideally it would be great if both players plotted their 6 minutes of action and THEN their turns was resolved by the computer.

That would be awesome.

Hope that helps.

Thanx!

Hawk
10-03-2011, 07:56 PM,
(10-03-2011, 08:38 AM)keif149 Wrote: Or, is it both turns is going on at the same time for 6 minutes?

Hawk pretty much summed it up.

Since the beginning of war games there has been "I go You go" where you do your phase of the turn and then I do mine, completing a "turn". There has always been discussions on "We go" where both sides plot their movements and then their turns are played out in one phase.

Board war games were often used as a base for early computer games. Whether Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader were the founding thought for CS has been discussed as they have similar scale. They are "IgoUgo".

There are a few board games where you plot out the turn and then players move on the board one hex at a time, completing the turn as "WeGo". "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" (sailing ships) is one example. "Wings" (WWI air combat) is another.

Computers are able to do both and complete calculations as the turns unfold. CS is a fine example of IgoUgo" and Combat Mission is a great example of "Wego". Some players like CS and do not like CM. Some feel the opposite way.

I would not want CS to be changed to the "Wego" system. Nor, would I suggest that CM be changed to "IgoUgo".

Take artillery in CS. You can plot it during the end of your turn. It hits at the beginning of your next turn and in practice you can move through those hexes without being effected (the artillery strikes before your move). Though, the artillery most likely should effect the hex through both your and your opponents turns? In CM you do not want to plot your artillery to fire into an area that you moving into.
In CS it's a concept that we agree to accept?

We accept six minutes as a turn because it is what establishes how far a unit can move to perform a scaled function on the map within the 250m hex. A lot of abstracts are included due to the "IgoUgo" system.

And, yes, if you take things too seriously it can ruin the fun of playing the game. :)

cheers

HSL

10-04-2011, 04:38 AM,
(10-03-2011, 07:56 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Board war games were often used as a base for early computer games. Whether Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader were the founding thought for CS has been discussed as they have similar scale. They are "IgoUgo".

[Image: PB%5B1%5D.jpg]

[Image: PBback%5B1%5D.jpg]

[Image: PL%5B1%5D.jpg]

[Image: PLback1%5B1%5D.jpg]

Ahh, the days when men were of iron and unitcounters of cardboard... :hissy:

cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-04-2011, 05:02 AM,
(10-04-2011, 04:38 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: Ahh, the days when men were of iron and unitcounters of cardboard... :hissy:

cheers

Look in your USER MODS folder if you want to spruce up the appearance of your Campaign Series install.

Jason Petho

Send this user an email
10-04-2011, 05:05 AM,
(10-04-2011, 05:02 AM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(10-04-2011, 04:38 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: Ahh, the days when men were of iron and unitcounters of cardboard... :hissy:

cheers

Look in your USER MODS folder if you want to spruce up the appearance of your Campaign Series install.

Jason Petho

Cheers :thumbs_up:

Needless to say, I've had WF/PL and EF/PB mods installed a good few years ago. I had to reinstall JTCS some time ago, it looked rather silly in its vanilla mode :)
Visit us at CSLegion.com