I am looking for an opponent
09-19-2011, 05:39 AM,
RE: I am looking for an opponent
Thanks for the map it looks reallygood!!!:) Volker
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2011, 07:44 AM,
North
The battle for the north field appears to be just about over. The PanzerGrenadiers have been pushed back west of the stream and sustained quite a few casualties. Major Bryan’s infantry are in pursuit and mopping up.

The immobilized Panther on the paved road is still firing MGs blindly. The Germans have all their 10.5cm artillery support coming down in and around the north village.

South of the North Village, North of the Central Town
The Hill in this sector was defended by a single Panther. The Royal Artillery had got a few 5.5inch shells onto the hill, but it didn’t look too effective. However, Captain Baldwin’s infantry spotted the Panther, exchanged some fire and then Corp Bartlett’s tank hit the Panther in the side from 600yds and brewed it up. All 5 crew escaped the Panther, but Baldwin’s men were quickly on the hill and a support vehicle machine gunned the crew causing several casualties.

Central Town
2nd Lt Picton successfully destroyed the abandoned Panther in the NE of town. Major Tunstill’s infantry are running through the town unopposed! German mortar fire is coming down East and North East of the town.

South
About 400yds SE of town Lt Watts’ infantry platoon continued to be attacked. Amazingly, Lt Watts’ HQ survived the close assaults by a Panther and PanzerGrenadiers. Some British mortar rounds landed nearby and this possibly helped, but the Grenadiers retreated and the Panther fled in panic! Lt Watts rallied his men yet again and refused to give up the difficult position. His Platoon has sustained 13 casualties.

Watts has been recommended for the Military Cross.

Lt Swift’s tank troop – supporting Watts’ platoon – also had a difficult time. First, a Panther engaged one of Swifts Cruiser tanks at about 1000yds and scored a hit. Fortunately none of the crew were injured but the tank sustained damage. Then two sections of Brandenburgers appeared in the woods and knocked out the Daimler armoured car near Swifts tank, and repeatedly but unsuccessfully assaulted the other tank in Swifts troop. The tank fought back with the help of Watts’ infantry and the two elite German sections were forced to retreat with casualties. Finally, Lt Swift engaged the Panther that was fleeing from Lt Watts’ position and brewed it up with two shells to the rear from about 50yds.

Lt Swift has now knocked out two Panthers and a Flammpanzer, with the other two tanks in his troop responsible for destroying several halftracks, including a gun halftrack. Swift has been recommended for the Distinguished Service Order.

Luftwaffe
A fighter-bomber Hs129 came in from the NE and strafed a Royal Artillery 5.5 inch gun. There were several casualties.

Casualties so far (not including infantry)
German losses:
4 Panthers destroyed, 1 immobilised
1 Flammpanzer destroyed
9 halftracks destroyed (including at least 2 gun halftracks)

British losses:
2 Cruiser tanks destroyed, 1 damaged
2 Daimler Armoured cars destroyed
1 Lloyd carrier damaged
1 ATk gun damaged
1 5.5inch gun damaged
09-21-2011, 06:58 AM,
North
‘A’ company got a 6 pounder ATk gun into position where it could shoot at the immobilized Panther on the north road, but it only bounced shells off the front armour. Then Major Bryan and Corp Hobart close assaulted the Panther but also failed to damage it.

Centre
Lt Vale of ‘B’ company was traveling in a Lloyd carrier when they ran right into a Flammpanzer in the woods. Vale’s HQ suffered 4 casualties, and they expect to lose the carrier.

South
The remains of one of Lt Watts’ infantry sections was routed by artillery and ran into a German halftrack which finished them off. Another of Watts’ infantry sections destroyed a Brandenburger section, and Lt Swifts tank finished off the other Brandenburger section.

Artillery
German mortars continue to hit east and NE of town.
German 10.5cm is now firing counter-battery against British mortars, and is again targeting the hill that British Vickers MGs were using.

British Infantry Casualties

A Coy – Major Bryan: 11 Casualties

B Coy – Capt Baldwin: 4 Casualties (all from Lt Vale’s HQ)

C Coy – Major Tunstill: 20 Casualties (17 from Lt Watts’ platoon)

09-21-2011, 11:54 AM,
Clinical work there.
Those expensive Panthers have not been worth the points eh.
Great read...cheers!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
09-22-2011, 02:31 AM,
(09-21-2011, 11:54 AM)Walrus Wrote: Clinical work there.
Those expensive Panthers have not been worth the points eh.
Great read...cheers!

Thanks.

Butra just resigned the game, as he's really in an impossible situation now.

Yes, I think the force purchase is where Butra lost this battle.

He bought too many Panthers, too many halftracks, and not enough infantry. The Panthers are tough for the British in 1943, because the Brits don't have sabots for their 6 pdrs, and 17 pdrs are only available as ATK guns, but the Germans had too many Panthers, perhaps 8 or more; and with insufficient German infantry the Panthers were vulnerable to the British Tommies.

They may have had only one PanzerGrenadier infantry company, with perhaps one platoon in each sector of the map. Then they had at least 10 halftracks which were used up front, instead of close support for the infantry.

A more balanced battalion would be at least three companies of infantry (buy ‘first’); 4 or 5 Panthers at the most, about half a dozen lesser tanks and a couple of armoured cars. Infantry should ride on tanks to the front. Trucks or half dozen halftracks could be used to assist with transport, infantry MG support, and even some AA cover, if you can afford it. I didn’t come across any ATk guns or HMGs, and these are also an important part of most battalions.

I think Butra is definitely a good player, though he made the mistake of many beginners, thinking that the power and foundation of a battalion is the armour; when actually the power is in the infantry, which needs good armoured support. He has said he learned a lot though - I know I always learn the most from my losses – and I suspect he will be a force to be reckoned with once he’s had a bit more experience.

North half:
[Image: northa.png]

South half:
[Image: southd.png]
09-23-2011, 11:49 PM,
Thank you for your kind words Cross
I'm playing with now Machean. Normandy 44 year, small map & small battle, 2000 points. map-sity/