• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS Total War in Europe
08-23-2011, 07:27 PM,
HPS Total War in Europe
I was wondering if the two games that already come under the common label TWiE are covered anywhere here. Does anybody play the titles, in a PBEM mode in particular? As I have found out some interesting periods, theatres and clashes are covered, but my impression was and still is that it is some kind of an abridged TOAW just like I had thought that SB is a simplified and more obscure version of SP which turned out to be an approach not widely supported or justified.

Any clues or ideas to share?
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2011, 01:07 AM,
RE: HPS Total War in Europe
Both titles are supported on this ladder, there was quite a bit of chat about TFB and the tactics of the game when it first came out and quite a few games played, however that tailed off after a year or so.

When the second title (WSF) was released there was very little reaction to it on the forums and last time i checked only one scenario had been reported, i cannot remember the last time i saw a thread about either title. :(

The common view seemed to be that players were disappointed that the second title was not a Russian front game, otherwise i don't really know why they are not more popular?

I have not played these games and so cannot give you any detailed insight into them.
08-24-2011, 01:18 AM,
I ditched after the first title because of the system. I don't like the strength points, showing you the odds of assaults so that you can add more to it if needed. The details are missing. If eventually the game system will include all of ww2 in Europe, then should have something in place for strength and losses, weapons upgrades, replacing losses of men, equipment and vehicles with more or newer developed ones when they became available. That's everything including ships, planes, tanks, everything.
08-24-2011, 02:05 AM,
Aw, great, thanks a lot for the feedback. It's very much appreciated here; there is quite a number of wargames out there and most often even if a certain one looks promising it needs time and covering some more or less steep learning curve to find out myself.
I used to think that the more complex sytem the better game becuase only a very complex one can cover all of the factors that need to be included to make the game play out realistically. It turns out that quantity does not necessarily imply quality and only takes a lot of time to learn the basic to see how serious the weak points are - and there are always some to uncover. Therefore a constructive voice of the community plays a vital role.

Yeah, I think my impression was quite right and is shared more widely as it seems ...
08-24-2011, 02:31 AM,
I like the TWIE series and have played through several scenarios although I feel like I'm still learning the system. I think there's a good chance that interest in the system will return once the eastern front is covered. I assume that is in the works since Soviet units are referred to in the rules.

However, I don't play PBEM for two reasons 1) I can't consistenly beat the AI - it's tough! and 2) I'm too heavily involved playing Panzer Campaigns PBEM.

It's the same old sad story - too many games and too little time. :(