• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Feedback needed for Red Victory
09-25-2011, 05:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2011, 05:03 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: Feedback needed for Red Victory
(09-24-2011, 06:43 PM)Kritterpaw Wrote: Am using XP virtual machine for all HPS titles (can be downloaded from M/soft for win7pro users and above)

Kritter, do you happen to have a link available to this XP virtual machine?

It's the 1st I've heard of such a thing which is why I am still using "old tried and true", WinXP.

Thanks

Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 11:12 AM,
(09-25-2011, 05:03 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 06:43 PM)Kritterpaw Wrote: Am using XP virtual machine for all HPS titles (can be downloaded from M/soft for win7pro users and above)

Kritter, do you happen to have a link available to this XP virtual machine?

It's the 1st I've heard of such a thing which is why I am still using "old tried and true", WinXP.

Thanks

Sure do, sorry it's actually called "virtual PC"

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual...nload.aspx

(not sure how to paste in a post as a hyperlink)

Just install the game on the virtual pc. I personally don't access the internet or emails from the Virtual PC though.
10-03-2011, 12:46 PM,
Thanks Kritter
10-13-2011, 06:50 AM,
I keep getting "error writing to file" messages when ending my turn. If I watch the replay of my opponents turn I almost get it everytime. If I don't watch the replay it seems to work ok. This is frustrating as I often have to replay the turn which defeats the spirit of the game.
10-14-2011, 03:46 AM,
If you are running Vista or Win 7 are you in the \Program Files directory? Its protected now, so this may be an issue for you...also make sure you are an Administrator on the system.
10-14-2011, 04:23 AM,
(09-03-2011, 08:05 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Is this by design?
Why do leaders in a stack with a radio team, lose MP just because I want to check the artillery dialog box for the status of my support? I exit the artillery dialog without invoking an action, yet my leaders lose MP.
I do not understand the rational for penalizing a status check on a dialog box. Especially when you have four or more lines of support to keep track of every turn in the artillery dialog box.

Dog Soldier

I thought about it when I started playing these games. I came to a conclusion that it costs some movement points because you need to check the status of the artillery by the radio, which takes time, and considering that the turn represents 5 minutes, it seemed logical to me.
The officers didn´t know much about the artillery status without the radio. At least I think so. :smoke:

10-15-2011, 02:44 AM,
(10-14-2011, 04:23 AM)Fhil Wrote:
(09-03-2011, 08:05 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Is this by design?
Why do leaders in a stack with a radio team, lose MP just because I want to check the artillery dialog box for the status of my support? I exit the artillery dialog without invoking an action, yet my leaders lose MP.
I do not understand the rational for penalizing a status check on a dialog box. Especially when you have four or more lines of support to keep track of every turn in the artillery dialog box.

Dog Soldier

I thought about it when I started playing these games. I came to a conclusion that it costs some movement points because you need to check the status of the artillery by the radio, which takes time, and considering that the turn represents 5 minutes, it seemed logical to me.
The officers didn´t know much about the artillery status without the radio. At least I think so. :smoke:

The way i look at it is that at the beginning of every turn, you are alerted if you have support available. If you haven't received that message, there isn't much of a reason to check that dialog box. It doesn't give you an update in terms of when you fire support will be available.

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
10-16-2011, 02:35 AM,
Artillery dialog problem

I think what I have been running into is not an issue of "support available" but an issue related to time between PBEM turns. This is an artificial constraint and should not be part of the simulation.

If a day or so goes by between turns in an SB game, I have lost track of which batteries were called. There is no notice about that. Thus the need to open the dialog and take a look. (Fhil, the digital officer would have this in a notebook or his digital head.) The alternative is, for me the player, to keep hand written records. That is a bit ridiculous since this is not a cardboard table game. I feel there should not be a penalty in game terms for the player to check a game status dialog. If I executed an order, like calling a battery or using an available mission, then yes, Fhil's interpretation of the game effect is very reasonable.

I check the artillery dialog to see if there is a battery with fire missions that needs me to call it because I used a mission in a previous turn. Since a lot more than five minutes have elapsed, in real life, I can not keep track of which batteries need to be called again to make the "support available" for future turn.

BTW, I have also noticed that this "radio check" which causes MP loses sometimes brings enemy defensive fire on the radio officer's position. Must be awfully quiet on the digital battlefield for the enemy to hear the guy squawking on the radio a dozen or more hexes away. Big Grin

Maybe my digital officers are standing up and stomping their feet in frustration at their unknown memory loss (it was only five minutes ago!) while yelling with a megaphone into the mike. LOL! Big Grin
Shoot me!

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-20-2011, 09:00 PM,
(10-16-2011, 02:35 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Artillery dialog problem

I think what I have been running into is not an issue of "support available" but an issue related to time between PBEM turns. This is an artificial constraint and should not be part of the simulation.

If a day or so goes by between turns in an SB game, I have lost track of which batteries were called. There is no notice about that. Thus the need to open the dialog and take a look. (Fhil, the digital officer would have this in a notebook or his digital head.) The alternative is, for me the player, to keep hand written records. That is a bit ridiculous since this is not a cardboard table game. I feel there should not be a penalty in game terms for the player to check a game status dialog. If I executed an order, like calling a battery or using an available mission, then yes, Fhil's interpretation of the game effect is very reasonable.

I check the artillery dialog to see if there is a battery with fire missions that needs me to call it because I used a mission in a previous turn. Since a lot more than five minutes have elapsed, in real life, I can not keep track of which batteries need to be called again to make the "support available" for future turn.

BTW, I have also noticed that this "radio check" which causes MP loses sometimes brings enemy defensive fire on the radio officer's position. Must be awfully quiet on the digital battlefield for the enemy to hear the guy squawking on the radio a dozen or more hexes away. Big Grin

Maybe my digital officers are standing up and stomping their feet in frustration at their unknown memory loss (it was only five minutes ago!) while yelling with a megaphone into the mike. LOL! Big Grin
Shoot me!

Dog Soldier

Hear hear, well put.

The movement point loss should be for calling or firing. Never looking.
Hadn't noticed the op fire effect though.
Dog I applaud your observation skills. Very impressive.
10-21-2011, 03:37 AM,
(10-16-2011, 02:35 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Artillery dialog problem

Shoot me!

Dog Soldier

I think sending something to JTS about this would be useful. Could be appended to new games, then retrofitted into the older ones....

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4