• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Feedback needed for Red Victory
09-03-2011, 08:05 AM,
RE: Feedback needed for Red Victory
Is this by design?
Why do leaders in a stack with a radio team, lose MP just because I want to check the artillery dialog box for the status of my support? I exit the artillery dialog without invoking an action, yet my leaders lose MP.
I do not understand the rational for penalizing a status check on a dialog box. Especially when you have four or more lines of support to keep track of every turn in the artillery dialog box.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2011, 12:33 PM,
The SB (WW2 is all I can comment on) game as it stands is a very good thing. The map graphics are appalling.
I think it was Pawel, who suggested I try Ironx's RV map mods.
I was quite reluctant as I'm not really a mod kind of guy. Mostly I prefer the stock graphics, so much so that I only use the actual map mods in his file, (even though his unit boxes are very clever idea). What a great suggestion that was. No more blundering about the map "guessing" the terrain. And even better his map work is so aesthetically pleasing, it is a thing of beauty :bow:. It does remind me of earlier AH graphic work, ie: Squad leader and the McGowern dude. A great step forward would be to incorporate such superlative graphics as standard.
Dog Soldier's point about opening the art dialog and then cancelling cost's movement points is a very valid point. Now that I see it written I recall it has happened to me.
White boxes, It happens to me on all HPS/tiller software (running win7 64, and a late nvidia card).
Virtual machine is the only way I can stop it.
I did read it was to do with nvidia dropping support for early DX9.
Freezing whilst art is firing, my advice; not only don't move the the mouse, don't even look at it Big Grin
09-06-2011, 12:42 PM,
(08-20-2011, 04:42 AM)tallin Wrote: Another one hundred well crafted scenarios such as the ones you have already provided us.

Thanks!

Indeed, and I wanted to add that I really appreciate that the scenarios are in date order in RV.
Send this user an email
09-10-2011, 05:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM by Wolfgang.)
I just loaded up Operation Rosselsprung. Cool scenario Airdrop

Send this user an email
09-11-2011, 01:29 AM,
(09-03-2011, 08:05 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Is this by design?
Why do leaders in a stack with a radio team, lose MP just because I want to check the artillery dialog box for the status of my support? I exit the artillery dialog without invoking an action, yet my leaders lose MP.
I do not understand the rational for penalizing a status check on a dialog box. Especially when you have four or more lines of support to keep track of every turn in the artillery dialog box.

Dog Soldier

That has been annoying me for a very long time
244 games with legend that is Richie61
09-23-2011, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2011, 03:16 AM by FroBodine.)
(08-25-2011, 12:58 PM)jomni Wrote: White box issue is very common for me and it happens in all Squad Battles titles. Happens even when clicking, scrolling, etc. Very rampant in Windows 7 64Bit. I think this needs an engine update, not just db.

This also happens to me ALL THE TIME. I also have Windows 7 64 bit and latest Nvidia drivers. HPS needs to fix this. They are still charging $49 for these titles, and it is basically unplayable for me on a brand new system with the most recent version of Windows. They keep saying they may look into it at some point, but that is not an acceptable answer for me. They can fix it, they just choose not to invest the time for it. It's making these games nearly unplayable for me, as almost everytime I click somewhere the screen turns white.

Come on HPS, please fix this!!! I'm sorry to rant here, but it is very frustrating for me, especially since they charge premium game prices for a game that does not support the latest systems.

If this is a DX9 issue as others have mentioned, then HPS needs to update their code to support DX10 or above. This is simply ridiculous not to fix this.

-=Jeff
09-23-2011, 10:08 PM,
Changes have been made to address the changes NVidia made with their drivers on more than one occasion, and we'll continue to try and keep up with these as time goes on. With that said, to say that we are somehow failing because a VIDEO CARD manufacturer chose to make changes to their code is totally unfair. This isn't a case of Microsoft making a change and breaking things - which is bad enough and happens too frequently - but another much smaller company all together. And its not just Tiller games they broke, but a whole slew of others - most of which have been abandoned on the trash heap of computer gaming past never to be updated.

The games will continue to be supported and updated as we have always done, but we aren't some multimillion dollar organization, there's only 1 full-time person, so time is an issue to get things done. Your patience would be appreciated.
09-24-2011, 12:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2011, 12:02 AM by FroBodine.)
rahamy - I do understand where you're coming from. I used to work for a software company, and I know too well that you don't just snap your fingers and fix issues like this. It takes some effort and testing.

My point is that you are still charging premium prices for your games that do not run well on new systems. Since you continue to charge full price, you should keep them updated to work on new systems and video cards. Yes, many other games that do not stay up to date with newer systems are thrown on the slag heap, but they are also heavily discounted or become freeware.

Tiller games are outstanding, and I absolutely love them, but I just cannot justify every buying another one, or truly enjoy the ones I have, until this problem is fixed. I'm not just talking about the bug that happens during artillery, this is a much larger problem that happens all the time, whenever I click anywhere on the game screen.

I hope you guys will fix this soon, so I can get back to loving these games.

-=Jeff
09-24-2011, 03:48 AM,
Jeff,

I do appreciate the understanding :-) - I'm running a quad core system with an NVidia card, lots of ram & a Win 7 OS...so not exactly an old system...I have no issue with the games on it. Mind you, I'm not contesting that you or others are having the issues - I'm just saying it isn't an all encompassing / every new system is broke thing. Also, to my knowledge, Modern War & Falklands have had zero reports of this issue - so we just need to roll the newest code back to the older titles...I'll see if we can work that in soon.

Let me know, preferably at [email protected] - if there are certain titles y'all would want to see updated first. Otherwise I'll go in order of release.

09-24-2011, 06:43 PM,
(09-24-2011, 03:48 AM)rahamy Wrote: I'm running a quad core system with an NVidia card, lots of ram & a Win 7 OS

Mmmm, that is interesting you have no issues Rahamy. Does that point to a driver version. Thanks and good it will be fixed. Am using XP virtual machine for all HPS titles (can be downloaded from M/soft for win7pro users and above) and this works perfectly, so I can be patient.