• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Random maps
07-25-2011, 06:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2011, 06:33 AM by Pepe Botijo.)
Random maps
This is a GREAT game. However, I miss random battles with random maps. In the same way that Combat Mission. This feature could attract many people to Ancient Wars games and would add a lot of fun. A random battle in a random map gives no advantages to any player. Some players can take advantage because they know very well a particular scenario.

Cheers
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2011, 06:42 AM,
RE: Random maps
There is a scenario editor in the game. Players can make as many random battles on the maps provided (and there's a bunch), then post them for all to play. The more scenarios available the harder it is to master them all. :-)
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
07-25-2011, 07:05 AM,
I mean to make it without the scenario editor, in a fast way. Just with a few clicks. You choose the points, the type of terrain, the climate, the enemies and the computer creates it (every map created is different). Games like Combat Mission or Advanced Tactics have a random battle and random map generator.
07-25-2011, 08:44 AM,
I know what you meant. Unfortunately, the game doesn't have that capability. I was pointing out a work-around. :-)
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
07-25-2011, 09:56 PM,
Random maps give a chance to improvisation and surprise, something difficult in a well-known scenario. I consider that a feeling of insecurity was common for commanders during antiquity, the same feeling that had Alexander the Great when conquered distant lands...
07-27-2011, 04:30 AM,
I would say that Alexander had an excellent recon force in his army. Even in India at Hydaspes, Alexander knew where he could get his army across the river undetected. It would have been a disaster to divide his army unless he had a good idea where the Porius.s forces were located.

You might want to look at the Punic Wars game. IIRC there was a few examples of "sand table" games there. Very easy and quick to set up. This may be what you are looking for to substitute for a CM QB experience.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp