• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defensive Fire (lack of) - Sigh...
07-29-2011, 01:45 AM,
RE: Defensive Fire (lack of) - Sigh...
(07-28-2011, 04:24 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Well gee why not tell us a few? Not trying to be antagonistic, just wondering. jonny :conf:

First of all if I had a list of everything the game AI considered and things the AI was not able to consider, I would NOT share that as not knowing how the AI resolves this is suppose to be part of the fun. That is, the AI is designed to not be predicable.

But not withstanding, I set up a quick test.

I used 45 D Quality T-34s and I used a range of hard and soft targets, in Deployed mode and T mode to represent possible variables.

A few variables which could be considered by the AI in this situation might be:

# of times the Non Phasing unut has fired that turn
# of ZOCs the non phasing unit covers
# of hexes the non phasing hexes covers (considering range 2 possible)

# of times any phasing player unit has moved in range
# of times a sighted unit moved or danced in the ZOC of the non phasing unit with the intent to trigger Op Fire
# of possible shots from range 2 if available
# of possible target choices available to the non phasing unit.
# of targets visable by the non-phasing unit at the start of the turn.
# possible consideration re target choice, hard vs soft and deployed mode vs T mode.

....and I am sure there may be more. I am just spit balling possiblities here guys.

My point is - the test I made might not be anything like the situation described by the original post. So my results might bear no resemblence to the issue being discussed.

But in my test the 45x D quality T-34s frequently but not always got off a shot, as I expected would be the case. And that is my point.

Now if someone has some unitque situation setup in the game where the T-34s NEVER fire because of some odd quirk of programming, or fires but on repeat test it does so with less frequency than in my generic test, (which is certainly possible), than I would be happy to look at it and have the situation evaluated in the program debugger.

But my chances of stumbling on this setup are not high. And having not having any situation to show the programmer, that represents the issue, there is little I can do about the complaint here.

Al I can say is if you expect the AI to do anything 100% of the time than this is not going to happen and this behaviour is by design.

Glenn

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2011, 01:50 PM,
(07-29-2011, 01:45 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
(07-28-2011, 04:24 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Well gee why not tell us a few? Not trying to be antagonistic, just wondering. jonny :conf:

First of all if I had a list of everything the game AI considered and things the AI was not able to consider, I would NOT share that as not knowing how the AI resolves this is suppose to be part of the fun. That is, the AI is designed to not be predicable.

But not withstanding, I set up a quick test.

I used 45 D Quality T-34s and I used a range of hard and soft targets, in Deployed mode and T mode to represent possible variables.

A few variables which could be considered by the AI in this situation might be:

# of times the Non Phasing unut has fired that turn
# of ZOCs the non phasing unit covers
# of hexes the non phasing hexes covers (considering range 2 possible)

# of times any phasing player unit has moved in range
# of times a sighted unit moved or danced in the ZOC of the non phasing unit with the intent to trigger Op Fire
# of possible shots from range 2 if available
# of possible target choices available to the non phasing unit.
# of targets visable by the non-phasing unit at the start of the turn.
# possible consideration re target choice, hard vs soft and deployed mode vs T mode.

....and I am sure there may be more. I am just spit balling possiblities here guys.

My point is - the test I made might not be anything like the situation described by the original post. So my results might bear no resemblence to the issue being discussed.

But in my test the 45x D quality T-34s frequently but not always got off a shot, as I expected would be the case. And that is my point.

Now if someone has some unitque situation setup in the game where the T-34s NEVER fire because of some odd quirk of programming, or fires but on repeat test it does so with less frequency than in my generic test, (which is certainly possible), than I would be happy to look at it and have the situation evaluated in the program debugger.

But my chances of stumbling on this setup are not high. And having not having any situation to show the programmer, that represents the issue, there is little I can do about the complaint here.

Al I can say is if you expect the AI to do anything 100% of the time than this is not going to happen and this behaviour is by design.

Glenn

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You and Ed are right; the system is unpredictable and more often than not makes pretty good decisions. And who wants stalemate? I won't ever complain about the ADF again and I'm grateful that it works as well as it does. Thanks for everything. jonny :rolleyes:;):cheeky:
08-02-2011, 03:45 AM,
I reserve the right to scream, "Shoot, damnit!" and bang the table while watching replays.
08-02-2011, 06:30 AM,
(08-02-2011, 03:45 AM)FM WarB Wrote: I reserve the right to scream, "Shoot, damnit!" and bang the table while watching replays.
I think we have all done that !! Big Grin
08-02-2011, 06:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2011, 06:52 AM by Ricky B.)
Or "Don't shoot the Tigers, you'll never hurt them :mad:".
[Image: exercise.png]
08-03-2011, 04:29 AM,
One reason to bang fists on the table is when a stack two units of high quality (A or B), one tank and one infantry in trucks moves along a road (in travel mode) into the woods then bumps into your C, D or lower infantry unit. If that infantry unit has a H/A with a range of one it will always shoot at the tanks and not at the infantry! The tanks rarely take more than a little BF, while the infantry dismount and the tanks deploy and maul your poor under trained conscripts blocking position!

Happens every time! LOL! Guess those low quality boys get too excited. They can not hold back with those AT weapons and shoot up the trucks instead.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp