• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

F 14: Metz should be worth something
11-11-2011, 03:52 PM,
RE: F 14: Metz should be worth something
(11-11-2011, 08:34 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: "The Prussians, defending holy Prussian soil against the barbarians should have excellent morale."

The defense of Holy Prussian Soil. Yes Mike, we need this game! jonny Big Grin

(As I sit on the sunny side of Santa Barbara Street, das warmes wind komnt vons Meer, and it smells like the wind at Konigsberg so long ago, vor dem Kreig).
:(

Do you mean "Der warme Wind kommt vom Meer, und er riecht wie der Wind beim Koenigsberg, so lange her, wie vor dem Krieg?"

I may not be 100% correct either, so some native German speaker correct me if I got any part of that wrong.

Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2011, 08:37 AM,
While I'm not a native German speaker either, I have had a fair amount of classes in it...

you'll want to avoid using any form of the word 'Warm', 'Warme', or the adjective versions of it - it is your basic idiomatic hand grenade. Basically it is also used to describe lifestyle.

If one gets the word order wrong, you might end up saying something completely different than what one thought they were. :conf:
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-16-2011, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM by jonnymacbrown.)
"you'll want to avoid using any form of the word 'Warm', 'Warme', or the adjective versions of it - it is your basic idiomatic hand grenade. Basically it is also used to describe lifestyle."

I don't think that's true: Warmes Wetter (warm weather) or warmer Wind are both used. I think what you are talking about is the word heiss (hot) which does have sexual meaning: Ich bin heiss, (I am hot) does not mean one is warm but rather ready for sex. German Wind is one of the oldest words there are.

11-17-2011, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM by alaric99x.)
I agree with you, John. No problem with "warm" in that regard, never heard of it as a description of lifestyle. I rarely even remember the Germans ever talking about a warm personality, although I guess it could be used in that sense, because I do recall the mention of "ein warmer Mensch." Furthermore, I would have to say that word order is much less rigid in the German language than it is in English.

But I don't want to become a self-proclaimed expert. With my military service and civilian work I've only lived in Germany for a little more than 30 years. The German language is so complex that if you master it to any degree, you are to be truly congratulated. As the Germans say, "deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache," with a certain sense of pride. Napoleon, on the other hand, called it a language of coughs and grunts, and I have to admit that I understand the point he was making. As I said before, we have native speakers on the Blitz that could clear up these questions in an instant.

Anyway, we'd better drop the subject, we've pulled this thread into a deeply off-topic territory.
11-17-2011, 11:19 AM,
I agree with you, John. No problem with "warm" in that regard, never heard of it as a description of lifestyle."

Lifestyle in that ein warmer Mensch; der ist warm, means he's gay. :whis:
11-17-2011, 11:39 AM,
So you feel some kind of desire to show a little mischief occasionally? I know you a little, of course you do!

I didn't mean to suggest that the term had anything to do with that type of lifestyle at all. There were other terms for that, guite a few in fact because the Germans were very liberal about a gay or lesbian lifestyle, but I never paid much attention to that because I had very little interest in that kind of thing.

Incidentally, we are even more off-topic now. The powers that be will very soon penalize us in some way, I suggest that you begin to worry.
11-18-2011, 03:17 AM,
(11-17-2011, 11:39 AM)alaric99x Wrote: So you feel some kind of desire to show a little mischief occasionally? I know you a little, of course you do!

I didn't mean to suggest that the term had anything to do with that type of lifestyle at all. There were other terms for that, guite a few in fact because the Germans were very liberal about a gay or lesbian lifestyle, but I never paid much attention to that because I had very little interest in that kind of thing.

Incidentally, we are even more off-topic now. The powers that be will very soon penalize us in some way, I suggest that you begin to worry.

Yup guys, you are about as off topic that it is possible to be. ;)