• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs
06-08-2011, 06:28 AM,
RE: Ahistorical OOBs in HPS SBs
Nope, didn't get a file. You can send to my email though.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2011, 02:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011, 02:25 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
I took the time today to scan through a couple of scenarios where I was familiar with the units involved. Indeed, none matched. Here is the blurb from the manual that explains everything.

Quote:The memory of the Vietnam War is still very real today, both in the minds of those that served and those of their families. Many who served did not return and many of those that did return, returned with strong feelings about their experience that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. In the making of the Vietnam versions of the Squad Battles games, there was a desire not to invoke unwelcome personal feelings about the war, either in the individuals who served or their families. Therefore, a decision was made in the design of the Vietnam games not to use actual names of the leaders, even when they were readily available through the historical record. Likewise, the assignment of quality of those leaders was made in a purely random fashion based on the situation and not according to any judgement as to the abilities of the actual leader. Since there is also an assignment of quality to individual units and there was no intention to cause this to become a reflection of the quality of the historical units, the organization name and structure is also designed to be generic. Although this results in a certain non-specific character to the game in this regard, it is felt that this is preferable to making any personal identification to someone or an organization in an unappreciated way. It is hoped that no one misinterprets this result in a negative fashion as a careless attention to detail but rather understands the result by its intent.

(06-08-2011, 02:19 AM)Dog829 Wrote: What "We Were Soldiers" painted was an awful movie. As in Lone Wolf McQuade awful or "Wow, I cant believe people actually got paid for this". The book it was adapted from, We were soldiers once.. and young, while it was a hard read was much better

Interestingly, Hal Moore had some input into the movie and was very satisfied with it. Clearly there was a great deal of Hollywoodization of it, especially the final battle scene where Moore leads a bayonet charge on the NVA camp...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-09-2011, 05:55 AM,
Fine, thanks for the input and the heads-up, but ... I understand and I do not care: I want my data correct in as many details as possible.Perhaps more correct than my English at times ...

BTW, does anybody out there still play the HPS SB "VietnaM scenarios or everybody has moved on to "ToD"? Is there a good reason to revert if so? ... Please advise.

Does playing with mods cause the compatibility issues?
06-09-2011, 06:55 AM,
There are more games reported for VN, but there have been some new scenarios released for TOD in the last update through the HPS site. There are a lot of post-release scenarios for both games, more for VN over at Task Force Echo 4.

What type of MODs are you referring to? Graphics? Sounds? There are quite a few of both available out there, and do not have any issues. If you go in and change the OOBs to reflect the accurate units then, yes, you will have compatibility issues with people if you play PBEM.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM,
I have had pbem issues with RV that I had modded with alternate counter art when I was playing Tallin a month or so ago. At least that was what I believe was causing the problem for me. Tallin suggested I reinstall RV leaving all mods out and I have not had any further occurrences since. Only game that's done it.

BigRedOne, I can understand Moore liking it since it was his experience, they listened, took his advice when he offered it or when it was sought. I thought the book was well done and I had expectations the movie would be as well. First mistake, right there. Badly overacted, that was my main issue with it.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.