• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

River Issues
05-28-2011, 09:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2011, 09:07 AM by Troll.)
RE: River Issues
No Hawk, we were just teenagers and the only heavy equipment we loaded on the boat was a few cases of beer and a few half kegs :) but in the service we did. I was attached to an artillery battalion which had 8" SPA and which were Nuke capable. I was assigned to what was called then, the "Reaction Force" We were held in reserve in case the 8" SPA became threatened in either peace time or war time. We trained with the Rangers to either arrive by air, land vehicles, and water and also trained in riot control.

Since this is a water issue, the amount of equipment we carried for a water crossing depended on the situation. If there was no enemy fire, we carried and loaded with full equipment. If there was enemy fire we trained with both full equipment and or only carried the bare essentials, like weapons, ammo, radio, tear gas and medical satchels. And we crossed in rubber rafts. So river crossings have been done under fire with full equipment, minimum equipment in the past and in the present and most likely in the future.

The Remagen bridge collapsed under its own weight due to demolition, direct and indirect fire, air attack and which caused structural damage. So Permanent Bridges can be damaged/destroyed. Even Superman had his weakness.

I like your idea of have the bridges wired, nice.

Any feedback on my smoke post. Your opinion is valued in the forums.

Thanks for your feedback peoples.

Joe
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2011, 09:36 PM,
RE: River Issues
(05-28-2011, 09:04 AM)Troll Wrote: The Remagen bridge collapsed under its own weight due to demolition, direct and indirect fire, air attack and which caused structural damage. So Permanent Bridges can be damaged/destroyed. Even Superman had his weakness.

Indeed the bridge did suddenly and without warning collapse after 3 days of German shelling. To me this is outside the scope of CS.

Quote:Any feedback on my smoke post

I am headed there next.

Quote:Your opinion is valued in the forums.

I am not so sure everyone agrees with this. Big Grin

Thanx!

Hawk

Quote this message in a reply