• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Balancing a Scenario
05-13-2011, 07:23 PM,
RE: Balancing a Scenario
(05-13-2011, 02:04 AM)RADO Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 01:44 AM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 01:36 AM)RADO Wrote: If I undestand correctly, a strength point gives "X" victory points in the game, regardless of what type it is. So if you lose a SP of PZ VIb's, you get the same VP's as if you lost a SP of T-26's.

If that is not correct then I am even more confused than usual!

:)

No, that is not correct.

Each platoon has a different Victory Point value per SP.

For example:

M3A1 Stuarts are worth 3 Victory Points per SP.
M4A2 Shermans are worth 5 Victory Points per SP.
M4A3E8 Shermans are worth 6 Victory Points per SP.

Jason Petho

I feel so much better now. That's the information I was looking for and I'm glad I was wrong. Is this information in the unit parameter data in the game? If so, there's where I need to go.

As always Jason, you are a fountain of information.

Thanks!

Rado, just be careful when using "points" as a form of balance. It worked in the early version of Steel Panthers. It may not work in CS.
A T-34/43 is worth "6" points. A Tiger I is "7".

You can also click "F2" when highlighting a unit and it will give you the point value of the unit.

Would you rather have a company of Tiger I's or company of T-34/43's? They are only "3" points apart? :chin:

cheers

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2011, 09:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2011, 09:40 PM by Huib Versloot.)
I agree with HSL (it happens) that one should be careful looking too much at unit points.

I wrote a very small document with the basis of the method I normally use with some variety.
It is attached here.
.pdf   balancing CS scns.pdf (Size: 336.64 KB / Downloads: 20)
05-13-2011, 10:20 PM,
(05-13-2011, 09:39 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote: I agree with HSL (it happens) that one should be careful looking too much at unit points.

I wrote a very small document with the basis of the method I normally use with some variety.
It is attached here.

Within the pdf document you give an example of a scenario where the Americans are suppose to gain territory in the
vicinity of Overloon in the The Netherlands - what is the name of the scenario and is it still available for download. It looks a blast to play and I would love to give it a go.
Send this user an email
05-13-2011, 10:27 PM,
(05-13-2011, 10:20 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 09:39 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote: I agree with HSL (it happens) that one should be careful looking too much at unit points.

It is attached here.

Within the pdf document you give an example of a scenario where the Americans are suppose to gain territory in the
vicinity of Overloon in the The Netherlands - what is the name of the scenario and is it still available for download. It looks a blast to play and I would love to give it a go.

It is called "Where There's Trouble..." It is a stock scn since the 1.03 update so you should already have it.
05-13-2011, 10:40 PM,
(05-13-2011, 10:27 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 10:20 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:

It is attached here.

It is called "Where There's Trouble..." It is a stock scn since the 1.03 update so you should already have it.

Fantastic, thanks for the reply
Send this user an email
05-13-2011, 10:42 PM,
(05-13-2011, 07:23 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 02:04 AM)RADO Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 01:44 AM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 01:36 AM)RADO Wrote: If I undestand correctly, a strength point gives "X" victory points in the game, regardless of what type it is. So if you lose a SP of PZ VIb's, you get the same VP's as if you lost a SP of T-26's.

If that is not correct then I am even more confused than usual!

:)

No, that is not correct.

Each platoon has a different Victory Point value per SP.

For example:

M3A1 Stuarts are worth 3 Victory Points per SP.
M4A2 Shermans are worth 5 Victory Points per SP.
M4A3E8 Shermans are worth 6 Victory Points per SP.

Jason Petho

I feel so much better now. That's the information I was looking for and I'm glad I was wrong. Is this information in the unit parameter data in the game? If so, there's where I need to go.

As always Jason, you are a fountain of information.

Thanks!

Rado, just be careful when using "points" as a form of balance. It worked in the early version of Steel Panthers. It may not work in CS.
A T-34/43 is worth "6" points. A Tiger I is "7".

You can also click "F2" when highlighting a unit and it will give you the point value of the unit.

Would you rather have a company of Tiger I's or company of T-34/43's? They are only "3" points apart? :chin:

cheers

HSL

Well, if a T34 is six points and a Tiger I seven then I'd say the VP system is not very detailed, IMHO. It does however give one a very rudimentary tool for a starting point.
Send this user an email
05-13-2011, 11:27 PM,
Typical T34/43 platoon consists of 3 tanks, or 18 VP.

Typical Tiger platoon consists of 4 tanks, or 28 VP.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-13-2011, 11:38 PM,
(05-13-2011, 10:42 PM)RADO Wrote: Well, if a T34 is six points and a Tiger I seven then I'd say the VP system is not very detailed, IMHO. It does however give one a very rudimentary tool for a starting point.

The value of the Tiger is on the battlefield, not in the point system.
The greatest reward for an Allied player is not 7 VP but the fact that the Tiger is no longer there.
In counting points ultimately the objectives in a scn are decisive. It is interesting to know one or two things about unit values, but I would not bother with them in your attempts to balance a first scenario. You would just make things overly complicated. Try to work with the document I posted earlier. It is not all that difficult.

Cheers
Huib
05-14-2011, 12:43 AM,
(05-13-2011, 11:38 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote: Try to work with the document I posted earlier. It is not all that difficult.

I concur, the document is an excellent start, especially since this is your first scenario.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-14-2011, 01:36 AM,
Thanks guys! You have all been a big help.
Send this user an email