• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tips&Tricks/Do's and Don'ts
03-25-2011, 07:17 AM,
Tips&Tricks/Do's and Don'ts
OK, just played my first road to Minsk scenario against the AI and the depth of the game is indeed impressive/daunting. Pushing counters around is fairly straightforward but apart from that.... :)

Sooo, to help noobs like me out, I thought I'd make this thread where people can post their tips etc., to speed up the learning of everyone.
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2011, 07:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM by typhoon.)
RE: Tips&Tricks/Do's and Don'ts
Good Idea. The one that got me the most and still get's me every now and then is leaving HQ's unaccompanied too close to the front line. The number of times I've forced the enemy to retreat into those HQ's ZOC which instantly disrupts them and sends them heading for the rear. The other big one fopr Panzer Campaign players is to get used to the idea that when a hex is selected all the units in that hex are selected so if you right click to move them all the units are going to move not just the top one
Another big one that will be strange to PZ players is Form a pocket one turn but don't destroy it till the next or the trapped units will rout out and escape. So form pocket turn one destroy pocket turn two ect.
03-25-2011, 08:20 AM,
Don't forget to keep those rail repair units moving forward repairing the rail lines as they go, and like HQ's, keep them well away from enemy units or accompanied by one of your units.
03-25-2011, 12:50 PM,
1. Stay in supply.
2. Air lift supplies to hqs, not individual units if possible.
3. Try to attack with units from same hq to avoid penalties.
4. Reread the chapter on the "reserve" function: pay attention to the fact that a unit must have enough mps and not be greater than 2 hq levels away from the units to be supported.
5. always check fortification levels of the defender before attacking to avoid nasty surprises.
6. use engineer SUs when attacking forts
7. remember that unready units can't move and attack; there is no way to check for this except unit by unit (a pain, but it becomes second nature after a while).
8. keep the tec chart handy while playing; know the mps for hasty and deliberate attacks
9. keep the manual open while playing and refer to it often.

Marquo :)
03-25-2011, 01:08 PM,
Interesting about #2 Marquo - so rather than dropping supplies to deep spearheads, it would be better to the HQ, assuming the HQ is in range to the deepest units, right?

And reserve, I haven't gotten that far with my units -too busy watching most of my Soviets be unready, and not an issue so far with the Germans. Reading more of the manual is key, I think.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-26-2011, 10:50 PM,
(03-25-2011, 01:08 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Interesting about #2 Marquo - so rather than dropping supplies to deep spearheads, it would be better to the HQ, assuming the HQ is in range to the deepest units, right?

And reserve, I haven't gotten that far with my units -too busy watching most of my Soviets be unready, and not an issue so far with the Germans. Reading more of the manual is key, I think.

Rick

The reserve function is one of the most powerful weapons in the Soviet arsenal on defense; learn it and use it - you will break many Fritz balls with it.

:smoke: