• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Explicit Supply/Air Units/Artillery Questions
04-18-2011, 02:56 AM,
Explicit Supply/Air Units/Artillery Questions
Explicit Supply: I am wanting to start playing my PzC games using Explicit Supply. I have zero experience in using it. I am aware that even if I select the optional rule, it may not be used if the scenario was not designed to use it. Is there a "trick" to knowing ahead of time whether a scenario uses the rule of not? Does anyone know of any small scenarios that use the rule (So I can practice with it)?

Air Units: If air units are available during a turn, and you don't use them, are they automatically available on your next turn, unless the weather is bad, or do you loose them?

Artillery: If at the start of a turn you have available artillery and you do not use them, will the same units automatically be available for the next turn, or could some of them become unavailable?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2011, 05:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 05:16 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: Explicit Supply/Air Units/Artillery Questions
For explicit supply check this article out for some background info https://www.theblitz.club/articles/Artic...show&id=91, the main thing to remember is that the supply units have a max range to how far they can supply a unit and if a truck/mule supply unit is in T mode it will not provide supply, this is useful when you want some control over how your supply being used up.

You know when a scenario allows explicit supply as the filename contains an "s" after the scenario number, for example 0709_08s: Two Crucial Days at DIME Beach (H2H), i see you have played this scenario so if you set it up and select explicit supply you will see supply dumps/trucks and mule units! ;)

Air Unit Availability
After being used in an air strike, air units must become available before they can be used in another air strike. The time required for an air unit to become available is variable and depends on Parameter Data (see the Parameter Data Dialog in the Main Program). In addition, if the AA fire associated with the air strike caused the air unit to become Disrupted or Broken, then this represents partial damage to the air unit associated with the strike and this must be recovered from before the air unit becomes available again. Normal Fatigue accumulation and recovery effects apply to air units and although these do not affect the availability of the air unit, they do affect the effectiveness of the air strike.

Example: with an Air Availability value of 20%, an air unit that has carried out a mission will have a 20% chance of being available on the next turn. If it were to fail the availability check, it remains unavailable and rechecks for availablity at the start of each turn until it returns to available status. With a 20% Air Availability value you might expect an air unit to be available on average for 2 air missions per day (assuming 1 day = 10 turns), not counting other combat effects like Disruption and Broken.

The availability of an air unit can also be affected by specific changes to availability as part of the scenario. The Units Menu in the Main Program and Scenario Editor display the changes in air availability that have been defined and allow these changes to be edited.

Low Visibility Air Effects
This is an Optional Rule that causes conditions of low visibility to result in reductions in air unit availability. The exact reductions are determined by parameter data. See the Parameter Data Dialog to determine the exact values that apply to a given scenario.

Unavailable artillery
When a unit fires during a turn, there is a chance that it will either run Low on Ammo or, in the case of artillery units, become Unavailable in the next turn for that side.

Hope that covers everything. :)
04-18-2011, 05:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 05:08 AM by Liebchen.)
(04-18-2011, 02:56 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Explicit Supply: I am wanting to start playing my PzC games using Explicit Supply. I have zero experience in using it. I am aware that even if I select the optional rule, it may not be used if the scenario was not designed to use it. Is there a "trick" to knowing ahead of time whether a scenario uses the rule of not? Does anyone know of any small scenarios that use the rule (So I can practice with it)?
Scenarios designed for possible explicit supply rules use usually have an "s" notation in the file name (not the scenario title). I am not familiar with small scenarios that are explicit-supply friendly, but that doesn't mean that they're not out there. But the explicit supply rules, IMHO, really shine in the larger scenarios.

(04-18-2011, 02:56 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Air Units: If air units are available during a turn, and you don't use them, are they automatically available on your next turn, unless the weather is bad, or do you loose them?

You still have them the next turn, unless the unit has been withdrawn (which I've never seen happen).

(04-18-2011, 02:56 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Artillery: If at the start of a turn you have available artillery and you do not use them, will the same units automatically be available for the next turn, or could some of them become unavailable?

Artillery becomes unavailable the same as other units become low on ammo. If they don't fire, they should remain available on the next turn.

Ah, I see Foul beat me to it by some seconds...
04-18-2011, 05:59 AM,
(04-18-2011, 02:56 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Does anyone know of any small scenarios that use the rule (So I can practice with it)?

For DF85:

850610_11sa: Swatting Flies in the South (HTH)

And

850610_10sa: Operation Stoss: The Battle for Berlin (HTH)

Both are good small scenarios to practice with Explicit Supply. "Swatting Flies" is probably the best, since Logistics is mostly a problem for the attacking WAPA forces in "Operation Stoss".
Send this user an email
04-18-2011, 06:06 AM,
And one further thing on air unit avail - with the low vis air effects, if you have a group of say 20 air units that are available at the start of a turn, but only 5 are actually available due to this optional rule, then even if you don't use any air units in the current turn, the 5 that are picked for the following turn may change - but the 20 will still be available for picking, plus any others that become available for the upcoming turn.

So it can change, if you are playing with the optional rule.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-18-2011, 10:39 AM,
Thanks a bunch guys! I appreciate all of the helpful info. :bow:

I looked into 3-4 random PzC titles and it appeared that some of the titles have zero explicit supply scenarios. Do scenarios using this option only appear in certain titles released after a certain date?

Thanks
04-18-2011, 12:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 12:02 PM by Dog Soldier.)
Easier to look in the scenario DB here at the blitz. Look for the "s" in the scenario names.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM,
(04-18-2011, 10:39 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Thanks a bunch guys! I appreciate all of the helpful info. :bow:

I looked into 3-4 random PzC titles and it appeared that some of the titles have zero explicit supply scenarios. Do scenarios using this option only appear in certain titles released after a certain date?

Thanks
I believe it was introduced with T41 which was title #4, so that was after S41, N44 and K42. ;)
04-19-2011, 12:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2011, 12:31 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
Explicit Supply was added retroactively to a lot of the MC titles and the scenarios therein. This shows, since many of the Main Campaigns are are essentially unplayable with Explicit Supply (too few supply counters for the WAPA side to sustain an offensive beyond the first 48 hours). Some of the smaller scenarios works w. Explicit Supply though, mostly by virtue of them being shorter. The only games in the MC series to have a workable amount of supply counters in their Main Campaigns seems to be DF85 and ME67 (and then only for the 1948, 1956 and 1967 scenarios. It is missing from the 1973 ones). K85 also has a few playable small scenarios w. Explicit Supply, but it is missing from the Main Campaign.
Send this user an email