• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Better AI
03-17-2011, 03:53 AM,
RE: Better AI
(03-17-2011, 03:40 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote: If you care to send if your BEFORE and AFTER btl files - to me to to HPS or JTS Support, we can certainly look at it. But we need a concrete example to show the AI programmer the action that is being corrected. We need to file before and after to determine which files moved at night and what logic can be applied.

Glenn

I'll try to get some.
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2011, 07:36 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Better AI
It's good to see (as evidenced by Glenn's response) that HPS takes its AI development seriously for the PZC series. A reasonably competent AI is very important and is what (IMHO) makes the advent of PC games such a blessing to the wargaming community. I still look back fondly on the days when , if you wanted a good solitaire game, you set up a big Panzer Blitz scenario on abig table in the basement and simply played both sides.
I use the AI feature alot in my gaming nowadays. I've nothing against playing against human opponents (it is the best ), but if you really feel like playing a whole bunch of turns, and it's 3:00 in the morning, a human player will normally not accomodate you.

I've made something of a study of this HPS AI in the PZC games, and overall it really isn't too bad. You have the best luck if the AI side is on the defense. Also, you have to be careful which optional rules you use. The night fatigue rule is something I always disable as the AI just "doesn't get it". Also, make sure the scenario you are playing has active orders for the AI. If it doesn't, try learning how to write your own orders in modified scenarios. Lastly, I always play the AI using the full defensive fire phase option. With this, I employ the use of a chit cup that conatins seven green and three red chits. At the begining of each of my turns I draw a chit. If I draw a green chit, I take my turn normally (move and fire). If I draw a red chit, I forfeit my move/fire turn and only get my defensive fire turn. This keeps you honest and forces you to play conservatively against the AI.
04-14-2011, 08:10 AM,
I would imagine that further AI improvements are a diminishing return on the effort spent. The AI can play respectably on defense in small scenarios, but if you think about the size and complexity of the game relative to chess, which dektop computers now can play better than all but a few humans, but cannot solve the game (i.e. evaluate every possible move and countermove), its a credit to the developers that the AI can play as well as it does.
04-14-2011, 02:16 PM,
> I would imagine that further AI improvements are a diminishing return on the effort spent.

Not really - we will look at anything specific - but you can't just say "it suck - make it better"

If you want to send two BTL files - one before, and one after, which shows an really dumb AI thing and is reproducable - and I don't mean everytime but can be demonstrated on a few tries - we will certainly look at it.

As an example we had a case where the AI was advancing tanks down a road right up to an adjacent to an enemy unit. Not bright. We showed examples of it - more than one in fact, and we got it fixed.

But it isn't always as clear cut as this - it is often subjective.

One more things - the AI does NOT Cheat - it can only act on the info a human player would have but it is not as smart as a human when it comes to judgement and reasoning. The bigger the map, the longer the scn, the more chances the AI has to make bad or less than astute decisions.

Glenn
Send this user an email
04-14-2011, 03:32 PM,
It does OK on defense if you play it straight and simple.

I saw a discussion on a forum about War in the Pacific--Admiral's Edition. Someone did a mid-1942 invasion of Hokkaido, which the AI couldn't deal with at all. He was wondering why there was no reaction. The AI wasn't set up to do that, although any player would.
04-15-2011, 02:02 AM,
Would it be possible to look at the AI not firing when isolated? The reason being if it fires it a) goes low ammo and b) therefore loses a morale level and c) because of b stands a fair chance of getting disrupted.

I would even advocate AI units in bunkers etc not firing to avoid the risk of disrupting in their turn.

Mike
04-15-2011, 08:50 AM,
(04-15-2011, 02:02 AM)Mike Bowen Wrote: I would even advocate AI units in bunkers etc not firing to avoid the risk of disrupting in their turn.

I might have a hard time selling this Mike - such a change would have German units on the atlanic wall hold fast and not fire at stacks of units on the beach in the open and that game uses the Density affect on the kills.

Glenn
Send this user an email